Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2014, 12:33:40 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft Third Edition
| | |-+  10 Things You Didn't Know Could Be Hacked
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 10 Things You Didn't Know Could Be Hacked  (Read 2200 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2012, 07:30:11 AM »

http://www.securitynewsdaily.com/1164-things-you-didnt-know-could-be-hacked.html

Some useful inspiration for players and GCs.

Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 06:19:43 PM »

The real-life Australian bionic eye uses wireless data-transmission. If you use cyberware in your game it too could be 'hackable'

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 10:55:05 PM »

That's why I would rather have a hard wired cybereye.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 05:03:14 PM »

There's an old, creepy-but-apt bit of 4Chan logic that posits "the difference between a cyborg and sex toy is a firewall."
Surely inspired by Ghost In The Shell, of course.

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 08:57:47 PM »

There's an old, creepy-but-apt bit of 4Chan logic that posits "the difference between a cyborg and sex toy is a firewall."

Great.. just great.. the next wave of intimacy enhancement tools will come with DDoS logic, IDS Subscriptions, and husband browsing controls.  CISCO can't wait to unveil their prototype..

(Speaking of CISCO.. VOIP phones are also able to be cracked now and used as multi-point eavesdropping units.)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 06:40:16 AM »

Hack turns the Cisco phone on your desk into a remote bugging device

Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 10:39:17 AM »

Great.. just great.. the next wave of intimacy enhancement tools will come with DDoS logic, IDS Subscriptions, and husband browsing controls.  CISCO can't wait to unveil their prototype..

(Speaking of CISCO.. VOIP phones are also able to be cracked now and used as multi-point eavesdropping units.)

Terminal interface errors. Ouch.
Bahahaha. Such a lame joke.
Blue Scream of Death?

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 12:26:35 PM »

Terminal interface errors. Ouch.
Bahahaha. Such a lame joke.
Blue Scream of Death?

Blue Waffle of Death?  What...?  (DO NOT Google that @ Work.  ..or in the vicinity of children.)
I/O error?
Unrecognized Ports? 
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 02:49:13 PM »

According to Renderman and subsequently seconded by a German Security Firm, FAA Control Towers and Airplane Radar.  ...1.  I'm never flying again.  2.   My bad guys are going to own the skies in every game. lol
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 03:03:28 PM »

This is one of those occassions were it becomes increasingly obvious there is just no reason to network certain critical assets. Its rational to have error codes comming out of those sites, but the convienience of being able to remotely command them is not worth the loss of security vs. having to physically go out and pass through real-world site security to take control of the device in any potentially catastrophic way.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 04:01:36 PM »

This is one of those occassions were it becomes increasingly obvious there is just no reason to network certain critical assets. Its rational to have error codes comming out of those sites, but the convienience of being able to remotely command them is not worth the loss of security vs. having to physically go out and pass through real-world site security to take control of the device in any potentially catastrophic way.

Welcome to half of my career.  The migraine medication and whiskey are on the top shelf.  Jump up and down about things like mitigation of vulnerable assets and get reminded of project cost.  Point out slow evolving trends, get told it'll be on the next, next calendar.  All the while the TSA gets a few fricking million dollars to look pretty. 
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 06:46:13 PM »

*waves* I was the guy going out to the sites for a while. USAF ground radio tech. Pulled some jobs up and down the west coast. Nice to know (back then) that if you wanted to monkey with a tacan site you needed to go though a series of gates, locks, and 1-2 nice gentlemen with guns.

I spent a lot of time screaming at the idiocy of privatizing our repair shops - putting the capacity to respond to the slightest technical setback into the hands of civilian contractors who will never, EVER deploy into the hemisphere where the conflict is taking place... Who thought that was a good idea?!?!??

I also did airport guard duty before the TSA got rolling. I still find the vision of 5 guys in BDUs and M16s circulating around a security check sites way more comforting than the button-up TSA staff will ever be. I kinda like my "we're not fucking around here"' warnings to be sort of OVERT.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 08:44:45 PM »

You mean you DON'T like the privatized gates that have 9 ball but restricted use of force?  Or.. in case of that video.. a woman storms a gate, a TSA agent gets put on her ass and it takes an off duty cop to bring her down?  But think of the savings!

I understand some privatization.  I'll even deal with the fact that I now call some $12 an hour kid in Idaho instead of an IT3 / ET3 / Twenty Five Bravo / or the insane Air Force acronyms that I can never remember when something is FUBAR with the IT side of site I'm visiting.  But security.. either PhySec, OpSec or InfoSec?  Just blows my mind.
Tegyrius
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Agent

Somebody Else's Problem

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 08:50:16 PM »

My current class in my master's program is Critical Infrastructure Protection.  I wasn't sleeping well before I found this thread.

- C.

Clayton A. Oliver Writer of Fortune

And in this moment/I will not run, it is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope/Within our bloodied hands

- The Cruxshadows, Winter Born
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 09:08:24 PM »

My current class in my master's program is Critical Infrastructure Protection.  I wasn't sleeping well before I found this thread.

- C.

Ooooh.  Oh!  I got a FUN one for you then.  HSPD-7.  K.  Just to give anyone else a little jump in.. (and feel free to correct me.  I'm only involved partially in one of these.. your background on the subject as a whole dwarfs mine).

Critical Infrastructure, depending on what it is, falls under the privvie of either Dept of Treasury, Transport, Interior, DoJ, EPA, Human Services.  (I know I'm missing one or two.)  Each of those have independent assets and rules & regs.  As it is, getting those networks InfoSec compliant is a G-D NIGHTMARE.  (*coughs*  DoE.  Pointing at you, big guy. *coughs*)  You then.. have the entities of which these departments govern and regulate.. PRIVATIZED.  We can't keep 2,000,000 barrels of oil out of the Gulf of Mexico, you really think we're going to get BP to spend X of millions of dollars to be protected against a 1% possibility that's always evolving?  Good luck!  I'm cheering for you!  ..namely because if you succeed, I succeed.  ..sorta..  ..sometimes..
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: