Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 28, 2014, 05:58:19 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  Adapting Mistborn RPG rules to other Sanderson works
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adapting Mistborn RPG rules to other Sanderson works  (Read 1875 times)
JMobius
Recruit

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2012, 11:56:25 AM »

Do you think it could be done? For which of his other worlds do you think the 'core' system would be suitable?
oxinabox
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 03:33:54 AM »

I've been thinking about how to do a Way of Kings conversion.

There would need to be a fair shake up around Props vs Powers.
but the Core system, for combat feels right.

It would be fiddly to explain how such a High powered group of people (Soul Casters, Shard Bearers, Surgebinders)
 all came together but worth it i think.

Also there is my alloy of law stuff, see my sig.

A New Dusk: Alloy of Law Adventure Game
http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=6148
With twinborn, compounders, guns, explosives
---
Please stop titling topics: "Quick Question" etc.
It isn't helpful
oxinabox
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 06:40:26 AM »

Stormlight preview: http://oxinabox.ucc.asn.au/files/GameDesignProducts/Shardblade%20Bearer.pdf
Rules for Shade-bearers.

(Off topic: Indesign makes beautiful things, but is so annoying to use.
Manually / Semi-manually positioning things
I think I go back to producing with Latex)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 08:11:38 AM by oxinabox » Logged

---
It isn't helpful
MaskedBrute
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 09:55:51 PM »

Seems cool so far!
oxinabox
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 08:22:46 AM »

http://oxinabox.ucc.asn.au/files/shardbearer%20(plate).pdf

Plate is here. (It is missing alot of fine touchs like looking good (i went back to LaTex), and have sidebars about Called Shots, and text quotes)

I'm not happy with it, balance wise.
I'm not going to tweak it too much more without playtests though.
It has issues in that it almost replaces the Health system,
and it is much more of an item than the blade, with issues relating to the that.
(Need a side bar about stealing plate, saying a Narrator should not do that, unless it is part of the narrative, and that if he want it to be, then to descuss it with the player, before hand.
And that if the PC's steal someones plate then they have to pay the Advancement cost (much like Hermulgical spikes))

I also intend for the Blade and Plate not to count towards the prop limit.
This means that Blade/Plate holders can afford lower resources, so will have hight influence,
so will be notable nobles easier.
(Or for characters like Szeth, higher spirit, making them badass)

My intent is
*Shard Blade + Plate to be Powers Strong. (Starting Powers both 4) - eventually Blade + Surgebinding, Blade + soulcasting, soulcasting + plate, as the other powers strong options.
*Just Blade, or Plate: Powers Average  (starting Power 5, 1 free stunt)

(I'm not sure if the Mods are going to get annoyed by the off topic.
I should prob create a thread in Licence to improvise,
but that board gets much fewer views by mistborn interested people)

---
It isn't helpful
tecslicer
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 09:08:22 PM »

I haven't actually written any specifics down, but I have been mulling over an adventure where some mistings find a portal/meet Hoid/randomly transport to other Cosmere world and find that they can use the metals that have no use yet to transfer other world's powers. I.E. something like "CADMIUM transfers Biochroma, and Malatium transfers the Dor, and Bendalloy transfers either Surgebinding, or Soul casting depending on placement."

Just throwing the idea into the discussion.
Aminar
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 01:57:47 PM »

I would think the easiest step would be adapting warbreaker.  Wait utility Stormlight 2 to really work on WoK.  Too little has been show to do more than just groundwork.  Warbreaker is pretty demystifies.  Elantris could get started as well.
Herowannabe
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 07:28:08 PM »

So I realize nobody has posted to this for a while, but a couple weeks ago we were talking about Cosmere stuff over at steelministry.com and it got my gears churning, so I wrote up some rules for Awakening from Warbreaker.

NOTE #1: This is just a rough draft. It has not been testing in any way. Feedback is more than welcome.

NOTE #2: I haven't ever tried using the site below to share files. Please let me know if it does not work for you, and I'll try to fix it.

Enjoy!

http://www.4shared.com/office/HsvR3Ao3/Awakening_rules.html
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 07:09:16 PM by Herowannabe » Logged

Herowannabe
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 07:38:18 PM »

NOTE #2: I haven't ever tried using the site below to share files. Please let me know if it does not work for you, and I'll try to fix it.

Enjoy!

http://www.4shared.com/office/HsvR3Ao3/Awakening_rules.html

It appears to work, just make sure you click the right download button, which is NOT the big green "Download" button in the iLive ad at the top of the screen...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 07:09:31 PM by Herowannabe » Logged

lord Claincy Ffnord
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 11:22:27 PM »

On the whole a good set of awakening rules. I was a bit worried at first reading about advancing that the differences between later heightenings were being slightly trivialised but having read the last section that worry is gone. I am however concerned that the benefits of going above the 5th heightening are simply not worth the cost. Even reaching the 4th heightening costs 10 advancements as well as getting a good enough resources rol and I worry that that might be a bit too much. It fits cannonically but as a gameplay feature it might make anything above the 4th heightening not worth it, as you could, for example, upgrade and attribute or standing twice for that cost.

The 4th heightening is kind of ok though, but once you get to attempting the 5th heightening, 12 advancements and a succesful resources 5 roll AND permament decrease of resources by 1. The decrease of resources essentially adds 5 advancements and a long breather to the cost, making it 17 advancements and 2 long breathers. As well as having to get the right roll. At that point you are likely better of just dumping them into physique or wits.

So basically I like what I see, but I think the awakening ratings just get a little too expensive to be worthwhile in the long run and the costs could do with a little more balancing. I am also unsure if I like the roll to upgrade, because a diff 5 roll is tricky unless you have upwards of 6 resources, which, if you have been leveling awakening is unlikely, and if it fails you have wasted a valuable long breather. The higher heitenings should be highly expensive, but I think they also need to be a tad more powerful.
Herowannabe
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 07:18:22 PM »

On the whole a good set of awakening rules. I was a bit worried at first reading about advancing that the differences between later heightenings were being slightly trivialised but having read the last section that worry is gone. I am however concerned that the benefits of going above the 5th heightening are simply not worth the cost. Even reaching the 4th heightening costs 10 advancements as well as getting a good enough resources rol and I worry that that might be a bit too much. It fits cannonically but as a gameplay feature it might make anything above the 4th heightening not worth it, as you could, for example, upgrade and attribute or standing twice for that cost.

The 4th heightening is kind of ok though, but once you get to attempting the 5th heightening, 12 advancements and a succesful resources 5 roll AND permament decrease of resources by 1. The decrease of resources essentially adds 5 advancements and a long breather to the cost, making it 17 advancements and 2 long breathers. As well as having to get the right roll. At that point you are likely better of just dumping them into physique or wits.

So basically I like what I see, but I think the awakening ratings just get a little too expensive to be worthwhile in the long run and the costs could do with a little more balancing. I am also unsure if I like the roll to upgrade, because a diff 5 roll is tricky unless you have upwards of 6 resources, which, if you have been leveling awakening is unlikely, and if it fails you have wasted a valuable long breather. The higher heitenings should be highly expensive, but I think they also need to be a tad more powerful.

You made some good points, so I went through and reevaluated the AP costs. As I did I realized another problem- the early levels were too cheap! So I changed it so that it's a flat 6AP to advance 1 level, just like Allomancy and Feruchemy. Honestly, I don't remember what I was thinking with the variable AP cost.

I did not change any of the Resources requirements, however. I feel they fairly accurately represent the cost of purchasing large numbers of Breaths. A couple points though: Remember that purchasing Breaths is not the ONLY way to get Breaths, just the most common way. Convince the Narrator to get another character to pass their Breaths on to you and you're set. Also, just because you fail a Resource roll doesn't mean you've wasted a Long Breather- you don't actually spend the AP (and your Resources isn't permanantly reduced) until you've acquired enough Breaths to advance. You can spend that AP to advance something else during that Breather, or you can spend another point of Resources and try again...

Anyway, the link above has been updated to the new version of the rules.

lord Claincy Ffnord
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 10:11:41 PM »

Honestly, I don't remember what I was thinking with the variable AP cost.

I can understand where the variable cost came from, it makes sense in-universe as you need increasing amounts more breath to reach the next heightening so the higher levels are ridiculously difficult to achieve. But I think that wouldn't have worked well ingame as the cost just would have outweighed the benefit.

Also, just because you fail a Resource roll doesn't mean you've wasted a Long Breather- you don't actually spend the AP (and your Resources isn't permanantly reduced) until you've acquired enough Breaths to advance. You can spend that AP to advance something else during that Breather, or you can spend another point of Resources and try again...

Ah right. My problem here was just my interpretation of your rules. Because of the standard 1 significant action per break rule. I had taken it as attempting to get more breaths being a significant action succeed or fail and preventing you from doing anything else that breather. It only taking up the breather if you succeed works a lot better =)

Hope I have an opportunity to run a campaign with these rules sometime =)
Herowannabe
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 06:49:27 PM »

Hope I have an opportunity to run a campaign with these rules sometime =)

If you do, please let me know how it goes!

I hope to run a campaign with Awakening in it sometime, but it won't be any time soon...

lord Claincy Ffnord
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 08:18:27 PM »

If you do, please let me know how it goes!

I hope to run a campaign with Awakening in it sometime, but it won't be any time soon...

I will definately keep you posted if i run it. But its gonna be some time before I could. I won't have the time till my current campaign is finished, and its about 15 sessions in (overall between all crews) and probably has 4 times that or more left. Soo it could be quite some time before I am free to run another campaign Tongue
Herowannabe
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 08:29:54 PM »

Well I got excited about The Words of Radiance coming out in less than 2 months, so I did something I've been meaning to do for a while. I sat down and wrote my take on adapting Shardblades and Shardplate to the MAG rules.

http://www.4shared.com/office/kCBsdovGce/Shards_rules.html

It's very much a rough draft. Let me know what you think!

I would still like to write rules for Surgebinding, but there is still some hard information that is missing, so I'll probably hold off on that (for now)

EDIT: I have a new version of these rules, found here. I left the link above to the old rules in case anyone wants to see them before I made changes.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 09:59:48 PM by Herowannabe » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: