Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 07:38:21 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft 2.0
| | |-+  Spycraft for Traveller?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spycraft for Traveller?  (Read 1816 times)
cjs65
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2012, 06:19:24 AM »

As a new fan of Fantasy Craft, I thought I'd take a look at Spycraft and grabbed a PDF of the rules from DriveThru. Looks just as impressive as Fantasy Craft, and I'm now looking at possible applications for the rules, not really being into the default spy stuff.

So, I was wondering if anybody had tried using the rules for a 'Traveller' type game? I love the classic Traveller 3rd Imperium setting but have never really been satisfied with any of the rule sets (CT, MT, TNE, T4, T20, GURPS or even beta T5) and wondered how well Spycraft would cope. I have a feeling there would be a lot of work required, but also wondered how much could be swiped from T20...

Specifically:
 - Do the base Spycraft classes work in the setting?
 - Do skills need much adjustment?
 - Has anybody attempted to convert Traveller equipment/weapons/armour etc?
 - How to handle starships/space?

If anybody has any views or pointers, I'd love to hear them!
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 07:44:48 AM »

The long story short:  Yeah, Spycraft can swing Traveller.

Longer version:  There are a few threads floating around the forum regarding sci-fi settings.  I think the biggest bone of "contention" is how to handle lightspeed jumps.  More often than not, they tend to be plot related than really needing a skill check.

I don't think any of the specific weapons or armors have been ported, but we can swing that easily enough.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 08:34:11 AM »

Luckily Traveller jumps are very well documented.

Astrogation: Easy (using the sliding DC chart) check, taking 10 to 60 minutes with a -2 modifier per Jump distance unit over 1(1 parsec in normal Traveller). Jump 1 is staright Easy, J2 is at -2, J3 is at -4, etc.

Divert Power: Average check. For every five points the engineer beats the DC, add one to the Jump Result.

Jump: Use the Traveller chart.

Not sure off the top of my head the skills. I'd probably use Pilot (Jump Drive) and Mechanics respectively. Note that Jump Drive would be a different focus then what need to actually fly a ship. Personal Spacecraft, Service Spacecraft, Performance Spacecraft, Capital Spacecraft, Small Moon, Jump Drive.

Traveller fans should get the moon joke. Wink

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
snake
Handler

Its all in the reflexes !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 07:10:09 AM »

Hi cjs65.  

As stated by my wise colleagues above, Spycraft can certainly be used for Traveller.

In my case, my reason for buying SC 2.0 originally was the need for a RPG engine for a T20 Traveller campaign. I found SC 2.0 (with some help from the forums) to be just the ticket.

I'll try to dig out some of my old notes and see if they may be useful to you.  Smiley

Lo, there do I see my father. Lo, there do I see my mother.
And my sister and my brother
Lo, there do I see the line of my people Back to the beginning.
Lo, they do call to me.They bid me take my place among them
In the halls of Valhalla Where the brave may live forever !!!
cjs65
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 04:48:03 AM »

Thanks everyone.

Snake, did you use T20 as a basic framework for classes/skills etc. and bolt it onto the Spycraft core?

I'd very much appreciate anything you can show me before I start doing my own thing. Anything to save valuable gaming time.  Cool
snake
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 07:08:14 AM »

Thanks everyone.

Snake, did you use T20 as a basic framework for classes/skills etc. and bolt it onto the Spycraft core?

I'd very much appreciate anything you can show me before I start doing my own thing. Anything to save valuable gaming time.  Cool

Yes, originally, I was going to just use SC core and everything else from T20. But I was so impressed with SC Origins, Skills, Dramatic conflicts etc that I look to merging the two, using as much of SC as possible.

I started with Species/Races. After checking with the forum, I used the Hybrid rules (and Lupine/Feline Species Feats) from an old SC setting to run my Vargr and Aslan PCs.

http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=803.0

As FC came out (and more rules for Species), I have started doing closer conversions of the T20 races (like the Sydite) to MC Species.

http://www.crafty-games.com/content/new-species

More to follow.  Smiley

snake
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 03:16:34 PM »

Here's my stab at an Aslan:

Aslan

You are an Aslan, a member of a warrior race descended from feline hunter stock. The first humans to encounter your species found them to be very "lion-like" and gave them an appropriate name from Terran culture.

Aslan society is divided by gender. Males have a strong territorial instinct to accumulate land and thereby status. Because of this, most males are found in the military or politics. Aslan Females, on the other hand, are concerned with trade, industry and the accumulation of knowledge.

Physically, Aslan are roughly of Human height (2m) and on average weigh 100kg. They have a muscled frame, with a Leoline head atop their shoulders and large ears. Under each thumb, they have a Dewclaw.

The Aslan command a vast interstellar empire called the Aslan Hierate but many of them are also found amongst the worlds of the Imperium.

Common Personality Traits: Ill-tempered, Proud, Loyal

Common Physical Traits:  Heavy build, xxxx skin, fast moving

Example Names : xxxxxxx, xxxxxxxx, xxxxxxxx.
Splinter Race Feats: None.

Type: Medium Biped Folk with a Reach of 1. Your maximum wounds equal your Constitution score.

• Attributes: +2 STR, -2 DEX (1)
 • Base Speed: 30ft (0)
 • Darkvision I. (1)
 • Iconic Classes: If your level in any base class is higher than your level in Solder or Courtier (for male Aslan) OR Keeper or Explorer (for female Aslan), then your AD is decreased by 1 (-1)
 • Iconic Specialties: You gain your Specialties bonus Feat only if you are a Aristocrat, Barbarian, Fighter, Mercenary, xxxx, xxxxx, xxxx, xxxx, xxxx, xxxx (for male Aslan) OR  Aristocrat, Engineer, Merchant, Miner, xxxx, xxxx, xxxx, xxxx, xxxx, xxxx (for female Aslan) (-1)
 • Natural Attack (Claw) I: Your STR based damage rolls inflict 1 additional damage. (1)
 • Sharp Hearing: You hearing range increments are equal to your WIS x 10ft. You may always act during a suprise round unless deafened. (1)
 • Superior Runner I (??)

Still need to fill it out more. Maybe Natural Elegance, Cat-Fall ?? Any suggestions  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 03:23:12 PM by snake » Logged

snake
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 04:02:17 PM »

A bit more detail I think:

Aslan

You are an Aslan, a member of a warrior race descended from feline hunter stock. The first humans to encounter your species found them to be very "lion-like" and gave them an appropriate name from Terran culture.

Aslan society is divided by gender. Males have a strong territorial instinct to accumulate land and thereby status. Because of this, most males are found in the military or politics. Aslan Females, on the other hand, are concerned with trade, industry and the accumulation of knowledge.

Physically, Aslan are roughly of Human height (2m) and on average weigh 100kg. They have a muscled frame, with a Leoline head atop their shoulders and large ears. Under each thumb, they have a Dewclaw.

The Aslan command a vast interstellar empire called the Aslan Hierate but many of them are also found amongst the worlds of the Imperium.

Aslan seek adventure for various reasons, perhaps the aquisition of land or as part of a business venture.

Common Personality Traits: Ill-tempered, Proud, Loyal

Common Physical Traits:  Heavy build, Short Fur (Orange-red or tawny-brown), Long Tail, Fast moving

Example Names : Reauwais, xxxxxxxx.
Splinter Race Feats: None.

Type: Medium Biped Folk with a Reach of 1. Your maximum wounds equal your Constitution score.

• Attributes: +2 STR, -2 DEX (1)
• Agile Defense: Your base Defense increases by 1. (1)
• Cat Fall: You suffer 1 less die of damage from falling.(0.5)
• Darkvision I. (1)
• Enlightened Skill (Sneak): Your max rank in this skill increases to your Career Level+5. Only the highest bonus from any enlightened ability may apply to each skill. (1)
• Iconic Classes: If your level in any base class is higher than your level in Solder or Courtier (for male Aslan) OR Keeper or Explorer (for female Aslan), then your AD is decreased by 1 (-1)
• Iconic Specialties: You gain your Specialties bonus Feat only if you are a Aristocrat, Barbarian, Combat Pilot, Fighter, Guardian, Lord, Mariner, Mercenary, Trooper, Warrior (for male Aslan) OR Agent, Aristocrat, Engineer, Medic, Merchant, Miner, Officer, Technician, xxxx (for female Aslan) (-1)
• Natural Attack (Claw) I: Your STR based damage rolls inflict 1 additional damage. (1)
• Natural Elegance: Your Appearance bonus increases by 1.(1)
• Sharp Hearing: You hearing range increments are equal to your WIS x 10ft. You may always act during a suprise round unless deafened. (2)
• Superior Runner I (0.5)

Ok, think that adds up to 7. Lets see what I've got on Humans in MC:Traveller  Cheesy

« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 02:43:10 PM by snake » Logged

snake
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 02:17:44 PM »

Humaniti.

For my original SC:Traveller game, I used the standard Human character options (Talents and Specialties) from SC. I felt these option gave the PCs more initial detail than most starting T20 PCs.

So for example, one of my PCs was called Cornelius DeWolfe, an Orphaned Criminal who became the Captain of a Free Trader ship (I used the Explorer class in SC to cover the Merchant Class in T20).  

I also toyed with the idea of having Zhodani and Vilani sub-races as Talents....
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 02:25:34 PM by snake » Logged

snake
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 02:47:11 PM »

Heres the latest version:

Human (or Humaniti)

Humans are the most common race found in Charted Space. When Humans from Terra reached the Stars, they discovered dozens of  variant Humans races, all seeming to trace their genetic ancestry back to Earth.

Over time, the various races have intermixed and in game terms, these Mixed Race Humans are treated as the normal Humans Species from Mastercraft. They may choose any of the Talents available.

A number of subraces (eg the Vilani, Solomani and Zhodani) have survived, however, and maintained their own cultural identities. These subraces are represented by specific Talents (see below).

Talents

Vilani

Once the Vilani ruled an empire spanning thousands of star systems - the Ziru Sirka. Their Guilds and Bureaus held this great First Imperium together. They lived long lives. Then wars and interactions with other races changed their environment forever.

But some remain of pure Vilani ancestry and outlook.

• Attributes: +1 INT (1)
• Enlightened Skill (Haggle): Your maximum skill rank increases to your Career Level+5. Only the highest bonus from any enlightened ability may apply to each skill. (1)
• Sharp Mind: You gain 1 additional skill point per level. (2)
• Burden of Ages: Any effect that cures or restores your vitality has only ½ the normal effect (rounded up).(-2)

(Needs 5 option points worth to fill it out, any of you old time Traveller fans (or anybody) have any ideas ??. Thanks.  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 02:54:19 PM by snake » Logged

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 06:36:34 PM »

I'd probably make talents for the subraces to represnt exemplars of them. Those that fit the stereotypes the strongest, but let the players pick any talent.

Alternatively, you could make species feats to serve the same purpose.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
snake
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 05:11:10 AM »

I'd probably make talents for the subraces to represnt exemplars of them. Those that fit the stereotypes the strongest, but let the players pick any talent.

Alternatively, you could make species feats to serve the same purpose.

Hi Krensky. Yes, you're right about the subrace Talents.

PCs choosing those specific Talents would be exemplars eg Vilani growing up on worlds with all Vilani populations and adhering to Vilani cultural norms.

Vilani growing up on other planets in the Imperium wold be more cosmopolitan and could pick up any Talent. Thanks.

I decided to use Talents for the Human subraces as I wanted to cover the different cultures with one type of character option but keep the species feats in reserve for covering planetary environment adaptions which could effect any Species.

I came across this Species Feat in the Masscraft conversion and was planning on using it in the Traveller conversion. From what I remember various versions of Traveller in the past have tried to allow for the conditions on PCs homeworld (including T20) and this is a way of covering it in MC, I think.  

Adapted
Your body has adapted to the harsh conditions that you live in.
Prerequisites: Survival 6+ ranks
Benefit: Choose one of the following hazards.
• Darkness: You gain darkvision II, and a +2 bonus
on Ambush checks made in ambient light that is dim or worse.
• Deadly environment: You gain Damage Resistance
5 (choose one: Acid, Bang, Cold, Electrical,Fire, Flash, Heat or Sonic damage).
• High gravity: Your Strength increases by 1 and your jumping distance is no longer limited by your height.
• Overcrowding: You gain feral and regeneration I.
• Sleep deprivation: You require only 2 hours of sleep per day.
• Starvation: You require only 1 common meal every 2 days.
• Thin atmosphere: Your Constitution increases by 1, and you can hold your breath for a number of minutes equal to your Constitution score.
• Violence: You gain damage reduction 2.

(Thanks again to writers of Masscraft conversion)

So for example a Human PC could have Vilani (or whatever) as Talent and if he came from a very low Law Level world might take the Adapted (Violence) feat. I also though about allowing someone to take this feat multiple times ??
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 05:52:59 AM by snake » Logged

snake
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 10:15:45 AM »

Heres the Solomani Talent:

Solomani
Claiming descent from the original Humans of Terra, the Solomani (or Men of Sol) are more innovative and inquistive than their Vilani cousins. Explorers and tinkerers, their societies can be violent and unstable.

• Attributes: +1 CON (1)
• Favoured Class: Choose either Scout or Keeper. If you have at least 1 level in that class, you gain the next level’s class abilities. You gain no other benefits from the next level such as skill points, vitality, base attack bonus, saves, etc. If you reach level 20 in your chosen class, you instead gain a bonus feat from any tree. (3)
• Inquistive Mind: You gain 2 additional Interests (1)
• Unarmed Proficiency.  You gain the Unarmed Weapon Proficieny.(1)

This ones short on points too but I'll see what I can add after reading up on Traveller history more.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 10:19:52 AM by snake » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: