Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2014, 07:23:59 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft 2.0
| | |-+  Walkthrough of XP reward distribution?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Walkthrough of XP reward distribution?  (Read 687 times)
Spook359
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2012, 08:20:54 PM »

Recently discovered Spycraft, and I'm planning on running the group through an mission in a few weeks. I have most of the new systems down pat, but XP reward distribution seems be be going right over my head. The main thing that is tripping me up is that XP awards are given individually, instead of as a group. Does that mean that some players can miss out on an Objective reward, because they were off doing something else?

So I was hoping someone could walk me through an example of said XP reward distribution so I can examine it step by step.

Cheers,

Spook
Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 12:58:58 AM »

I never handed out XP individually in any of my games. I always took that to be "Every player receives X experience" rather than you hand out "x experience divided by y players".
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 03:33:57 AM »

Oh good, it's still on the board.  The following link is a breakdown of a sample scene with XP values.

http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=592.msg9209#msg9209

Recently discovered Spycraft, and I'm planning on running the group through an mission in a few weeks. I have most of the new systems down pat, but XP reward distribution seems be be going right over my head. The main thing that is tripping me up is that XP awards are given individually, instead of as a group. Does that mean that some players can miss out on an Objective reward, because they were off doing something else?

So I was hoping someone could walk me through an example of said XP reward distribution so I can examine it step by step.

Cheers,

Spook

The section on XP Rewards distribution would then take the XP value of the scene (in my example, 516) and divide it between the the objectives and the NPCs.  Continuing the above example:

NPCs:
   Casper
   Casper's guards

Objectives:
   Neutralize Casper (preferably alive)
   Retrieve any records that may indicate any deals that Casper has made in the past

The most important item is the Neutralize Casper objective so I'll assign a graded value with up to 300 XP to it.
   100 XP: Casper's operation is shut down, but Casper managed to escape.
   200 XP: Casper is killed in the operation.
   300 XP: Casper is captured alive.

The second objective is less important, so I'll use half the XP value:
   25 XP (up to 3 times): A standard character was taken prisoner.
   75 XP: Casper was captured alive.
   150 XP: Casper's office was located and secured before any information was destroyed.

I also use one last category for the remaining XP:
   66 XP: At least 1 agent survived the mission.

XP is only rewarded from each category once using the highest applicable amount.  If the PCs captured half a dozen standard characters, captured Casper and secured the office, they would get 150 XP for that block.

After the mission, you add up the XP based on the player's success to get a base total.  Each agent then gains experience equal to (base total + 25*action dice earned (max level * 25)) * (lower of mission TL or agent career level).

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 08:47:59 AM »

Yep, Bill's locked that up nicely

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Spook359
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 08:07:10 PM »

Thanks, that clears a lot of things up for me.
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 09:45:10 PM »

Thanks, that clears a lot of things up for me.

Glad I could help and welcome to the boards.

Just so you know, there are a bunch of Spycraft missions in the downloads section: http://www.crafty-games.com/downloads

Just scroll down to Spycraft 2.0 and there is a heading for missions.

Happy gaming.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: