Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 19, 2014, 10:10:16 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  A few questions of little import
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A few questions of little import  (Read 1089 times)
tecslicer
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2012, 06:02:50 PM »

I'm making  an adventure, and have a few questions that, search as I might, I cannot find the answer for. Those silly little things that I think I can remember reading about in the books, but, can't place.

1. Do the books dictate a price for a kandra contract and the process for making a contract? Does the kandra just deposit the atium in the bank? I keep thinking I remember reading that in the books but maybe not...

2. If a person with hemalurgic spike dies, does the spike still retain the charge? I know it starts to degrade again (kolos re-using the spikes in book three I think) but I don't want to allow my players to re-use a spike from a fallen enemy, and then have one of us remember that Ruin sapps the allomantic power from the spike at death.

Like I said, not earth-shattering questions, but they bug me all the same, and I don't have the time right now to re-read the books yet.
JMobius
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 06:07:08 PM »

1. Do the books dictate a price for a kandra contract and the process for making a contract? Does the kandra just deposit the atium in the bank? I keep thinking I remember reading that in the books but maybe not...

The only mention of this that I know of is on page 241, where it is described as a Resources 5 expenditure.

2. If a person with hemalurgic spike dies, does the spike still retain the charge? I know it starts to degrade again (kolos re-using the spikes in book three I think) but I don't want to allow my players to re-use a spike from a fallen enemy, and then have one of us remember that Ruin sapps the allomantic power from the spike at death.

I had a player ask me about this as well... the closest answer I could find is on page 291, where it says that a spike removed from someone else can be applied to a new character at no advancement cost, provided they know how to insert them. I don't know if the previous owner being dead has any impact on that, though.
tecslicer
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 09:12:17 AM »

The only mention of this that I know of is on page 241, where it is described as a Resources 5 expenditure

Thanks. I did not notice that that section says that any service procured, in this manner, lasts for a week or less; and that an atium bead is the same 5 resource roll. So if my heroes find an atium bead they can use it to extend a kandra contract for a week, fuel allomantic awesome for 30 seconds, or hold 25 charges of age. Assuming they have a kandra, a mistborn, and a feruchemist.
EmpactWB
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 12:04:14 AM »

From page 291: "It’s mentioned in the books that a Hemalurgic spike can become “stale” by remaining too long outside a body. The powers it grants can decay — never to the point that the spike is entirely useless, but without very special preparations a spike left outside of a body will slowly lose some of its charge and grant less and less power."
You're good no matter what. Smiley

oxinabox
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 03:36:33 AM »

I was wondering myself how you contract a Kandra:
http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/1645-how-do-you-contract-a-kandra-minor-spoilers/page__p__28759#entry28759

Chapter 59 Annotations
Always before, anyone who wanted to hire a kandra left a message in a designated place in Luthadel. The kandra found you—a creature who was under direct Contract by the Lord Ruler to act as an intermediary.

The kandra Contract was completely confidential, even from the Lord Ruler—though he probably could have demanded to know the details of who the kandra were working for at a given time. He didn't bother, as he never thought that one would be used in a plot against him.

The kandra who arranged Contracts—a member of the Fifth Generation—would travel to the Homeland with the signed papers and the atium, and would send a new kandra out to serve the new master. Nobody left the homeland without a Contract, and if their Contract ended or their master died, then they returned immediately to the Homeland.

A New Dusk: Alloy of Law Adventure Game
http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=6148
With twinborn, compounders, guns, explosives
---
Please stop titling topics: "Quick Question" etc.
It isn't helpful
tecslicer
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 02:27:20 PM »

Hey, thanks all. That will add a nice touch to the narration... assuming my players find the atium, or defeat the spiked fellow. It would have been nice if the heroes of mistborn were a bit less noble, and would make use of the spikes form the slain inquisitors to "Enhance" crew.
MistbornDave
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 05:40:52 PM »

Whos to say your crew cant do that?  Unless you are playing a strictly novel game.

Check out my blog '7+ Ward Save'
http://7upwardsave.blogspot.com/

"I'm a thief, not a prophet. Sometimes, we just have to be what the job requires."
tecslicer
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 06:58:29 PM »

Oh, no. Rest assured that all options are on the table when I am narrating. Just because Brandon Did not want to go there does not mean that we can't. Besides, If I were to demand that my players only do Canonical actions, I would get alot of complaining when they find one of my more "off the wall" plot ideas. Like the side-quest full of hemalurgic zombies...
As long as it does not break an EXISTING rule, I usually don't have a problem with it, but I just wanted to make sure that there was no such rule (depleting a spike when the victim dies, sounds like something Ruin would do)
ReaderAt2046
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 03:45:48 PM »

Hey, thanks all. That will add a nice touch to the narration... assuming my players find the atium, or defeat the spiked fellow. It would have been nice if the heroes of mistborn were a bit less noble, and would make use of the spikes form the slain inquisitors to "Enhance" crew.

They didn't know what the spikes did until Book 3.
tecslicer
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 05:41:11 PM »

They didn't know what the spikes did until Book 3.

Yeah, and it would have been unfortunate to have hemalurgicly augmented forces when fighing the forces of Ruin, but it would have been nice to establish some precident for the use of spikes. At least for us. How un-precient of Brandon.  Wink
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: