Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 05:40:32 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  Malifaux
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Malifaux  (Read 536 times)
hidajiremi
Recruit

Master Exploder

View Profile WWW
« on: June 29, 2012, 07:03:35 PM »

Not sure who's familiar with it, but I'm currently working on writing up a Mistborn RPG conversion for the Malifaux setting.

For anyone not familiar, Malifaux is a steampunk-horror miniatures wargame with a very rich and slightly gonzo setting. The premise is that magic was a real force on Earth but started to fade in classical times, leaving only a few people capable of wielding arcane abilities. A little before the Napoleonic Era, a mystic rip tore open between Earth and a parallel world of darkness. Explorers discovered that Malifaux was the source of vast mineral resources, including a substance that could replenish a person's own magical energies, which was called soulstone. Despite some setbacks and a couple of disasters, the drive to colonize the new world continued apace.

In the current timeline, it's 1901 and a long-time cold war over the control of Malifaux's resources are heating up. Also, the demonic natives of the dark world are beginning to agitate against the colonists more seriously than simply picking them off a few at a time. In short, it's a dangerous and rewarding time to be in Malifaux, so new people arrive every day.

Rather than "crews," characters gather into "gang" and "factions" and can be members of existing factions like the Guild or the Resurrectionists, or strike off on their own to create a new power bloc. Right now the big mechanical change I'm thinking of (besides removing allomancy, feruchemy and hemalurgy in favor of the setting's magic) is replacing Destiny and Tragedy with Obsession and Taint. Since Malifaux is a horror setting, the themes are slightly different from Mistborn (which is ultimately a heroic dark-fantasy setting). Obsession represents the drive of a character and is basically the same as Destiny, while Taint encompasses both Tragedy (since a personal loss is a stain on your soul) and the potential for something supernatural to be wrong with you (like having a necrotic infection that might be slowly changing you into one of the undead).

I'll be posting up my notes as I work on the conversion. Is this something that people would be interested in?

"Children are innocent and love justice, while most adults are wicked and prefer mercy." -G.K. Chesterton
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 07:40:16 AM »

I'll be posting up my notes as I work on the conversion. Is this something that people would be interested in?
I'm quite interested in the setting.  Please subscribe me to your newsletter.   Smiley

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
hidajiremi
Recruit

Master Exploder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 05:03:20 AM »

Well, the first thing to consider for the conversion is that Mistborn is based on a trinary distinction of "No Powers / Minor Powers / Major Powers", so I want to hash that out for Malifaux. What I'm managed to glean from the rulebooks and fiction so far is:

Minor Powers
*Bearer (owner of a rare magical artifact or a bound mystical servant)
*Sorcerer (limited caster trained in a single kind of magic, such as necromancy or divination)
*Steampunk (basically steam-powered cyborgs)

Major Powers
*Arcanist (fully-trained wizards and practitioners of the Old Magic)
*Neverborn (demons and humanoid abominations)
*Steamfitter (mad scientists and arcane engineers)
*any two minor powers (a good option, since there are several canonical dual-trained people)

And that's where I stand right now on the power rankings. ^_^

"Children are innocent and love justice, while most adults are wicked and prefer mercy." -G.K. Chesterton
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: