Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2014, 07:00:24 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  KickStarter thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: KickStarter thread  (Read 11356 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2012, 11:14:18 PM »

Traveller 5th Edition

Backers
$211,341
pledged of $24,000 goal
days to go
This project will be funded on Sunday Jul 1, 1:01pm EDT.

Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 08:54:06 PM »

Well, if we're going to have a dedicated thread, I may as well repost Z-Con.

I don't think it'll make, but a Crafty booth *would* be worth it just to see.  Smiley

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 04:48:34 AM »

Dwarven Adventurers Box Set

Necron skull-sided dice set

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 04:36:02 AM »

Penny Arcade abuses the living shit out of Kick Starter in order to raise $250K to remove ads from their pre-existing commercial site.

spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 06:59:06 AM »

I don't see it as an abuse really, they're just querying whether it will work or not (which is the point of Kickstarter really), if not then no major problem, just continue as normal.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 07:59:26 AM »

From what I can tell by attempting to decode the spittle flecked rants flying around the internet it violates some concept of ideological purity.

If it works they remove some banner ads and, more importantly, can redirect their ad sales department to other stuff. It also means they can take the time then spend doing creating ads for other companies (like the comics for various video games) and direct it towards creative projects.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 09:30:26 AM »

$500 for a vanity retweet is bad enough; that they already have 10 people signed up for that is mind boggling

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 09:46:23 AM »

People pay lots of money for stupid crap all the time.

Heck, people paid lots of money for a little plastic card patent of nobility in the Third Imperium.

What does that have to do with anything?

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Number Three
Handler

I have become Deathbus, destoyer of threads.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 12:24:12 PM »

Arguments of ideological purity aside, the rewards suck, and the ones that don't even involve a digital book suck hard.  It seems to me they're riding a trend to get away with running a subscription model, something they've loudly derided for years, without calling it a subscription.  If a $1 donation giving you a fuzzy emotional pick-up and jack-all else isn't a micropayment in this economy, I don't know what is.  I don't know if they are self-aware enough to realize that, but they certainly have enough fanboys to get away with it.

On a more positive note, I have to reconcile my check book, because the $40 level on those Dwarven Adventures is really tempting. Smiley

spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 01:21:23 PM »

I wouldn't personally pay for it, but I don't see why people have a problem with it being there. If you don't think it's worth it don't pay.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 01:29:59 PM »

I wouldn't personally pay for it, but I don't see why people have a problem with it being there. If you don't think it's worth it don't pay.

Because:

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 04:01:19 PM »

I already pay for it by reading the ads that go along with the site.  Would I rather pay cash than see the ads?  Not really, no.  That said, I understand that some folks feel differently, and are willing to put their money where their mouths are.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 04:19:56 PM »

It's like people have never heard of adblocking browser addons or something.  The one I use only blocks obtrusive ads (flashing, animations, mouse overs, sounds, pop ups/unders, etc) because I understand the need for advertising to keep people in business, but I refuse to support obnoxious business practices.

I really want that $40 dwarf boxset though, just wish I had some spare cash.
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 11:31:06 PM »

As some someone else puts it:

We spoke to Kickstarter ahead of time to make sure,” Penny Arcade business manager Robert Khoo told Kotaku. “What it came down to was to pretend that no Penny Arcade existed, and what you were doing [by paying into the Kickstarter] was paying for a new comic strip for one year. The only difference is that we were coming from the flip side of that coin. Projects like this are already on the service, so we really didn’t see this deviating from that.

The thing is, when you’re asking for a quarter million, minimum, there shouldn’t be any pretending involved. PA DOES exist, PA DOES make a ton of money, and PA DOES put on two different extremely popular conventions. The fact that PA DOES exist, and has legions of fans, is what makes this Kickstarter a likely success, even though it violates Kickstarter’s terms.

To pretend otherwise is foolish. The PA crew aren’t starving artists. They make money, their job is to make money, and they are asking for more money under the umbrella of “working for their fans” (you don’t work for me if I cannot fire you, you don’t work with me if I can’t tell you no, you do not work for me if you do not make me money) and a tongue-in-cheek reference to “selling out” to their fans, instead of to the advertisers that currently pay their bills.

It’s a cheat. It’s doublespeak.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 11:33:15 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Viperion
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 02:01:29 AM »

I think of it this way: other people are paying for me to not see ads on PA. It's a win for me Smiley

(Yes I have adblock installed.... but you know, theory is important, and stuff)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: