Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2014, 11:51:11 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  damage reduction
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: damage reduction  (Read 1631 times)
Theodoran
Recruit

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2012, 05:23:59 PM »

Hello,

I have a little question. The damage reduction NPC quality can stack with the DR of an armor or not?

Thank you for your answers.
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 06:05:11 PM »

yes, it can. Armor has a special rule that it cannot stack with other armor, but beyond that all DR stacks.

Korik1
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 02:34:50 PM »

So Thick Hide from a character's species stacks with the armour they are wearing?

Everyone is normal, UnTiL yOu GeT tO kNoW tHeM.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 02:48:25 PM »

So Thick Hide from a character's species stacks with the armour they are wearing?

No. Thick hide specifically does not stack with armor, as should be noted in every instance of thick hide.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 04:51:39 PM »

Note that Thick Hide is considered to be partial armor Smiley

mach1.9pants
Operative

Supersonic Underwear!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 09:01:02 PM »

Can we have the reasoning that thick hide doesn't stack with armour? Is it for a 'in game world' reason (Which I can't see, having thick skin under your chain mail will help reduce damage IMO) or is it just balance to stop it getting out of hand? I have always wondered when I read the description, if you don't mind satisfying my curiosity  Smiley
Thanks

Gloria Finis
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 09:59:33 PM »

Game balance.

If it were to stack it would have to be reduced and be impossible to enhance.  Otherwise you could easily get DR in the high teens (you can get pretty easily 6-10 with both armour and thick hide alone, so combine those...).

The Elemental Heritage feats give you a good idea of what you'd have to have for them to be stackable and balanced - lower numbers, and X/Mitigator type setups (DR2/Blunt - Earth Heritage).  You could alter the races to have that sort of thing, if you were so inclined (but might have to tweak them further for balance reasons).

Obiviously I'm no-one though, so I'm just speculating and could be totally wrong.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 10:27:07 PM »

It's for the same reason armor doesn't stack with armor. Eventually it stops being as helpful. 

Also balance. That too. Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Starblade
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 07:28:01 PM »

Otherwise you could easily get DR in the high teens (you can get pretty easily 6-10 with both armour and thick hide alone, so combine those...).

How do you get 6-10 with thick hide alone?
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 07:38:15 PM »

i was able to get to 11 without using thick hide. moderate articulated plate+tower shield. 13 with the armor tree. add fitted and light into that and you have no acp speed or defense penalties,

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 08:00:28 PM »

i was able to get to 11 without using thick hide. moderate articulated plate+tower shield. 13 with the armor tree. add fitted and light into that and you have no acp speed or defense penalties,

Double check your math.

Moderate A. Plate is DR 5 with -2 ACP and Def and -5 Move.
Heavy Fittings brings it to DR 7, -3 ACP/Def and -10 Move.
Armor B/M/S brings it to DR 9,  -2 ACP and Def and -5 Move.
Fitted and Lightweight take it to DR 9, -1 ACP and Def.

Dwarf construction gets you to DR 10, conversely Elf construction lets you skip light weight and gets rid of the ACP penalty.

The Tower Shield would then add 3 to your defense, for a net gain of DR 9, Blunt 2, +2 Def with Elven construction, or DR 10, Blunt 2, ACP -1, Def +2 with Dwarven construction.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 09:16:02 PM »

i added dwarf, i forgot to mention that, but the dwarven articulated plate with heavy fittings is at 8, add the tower shield since it has gaurd 3 and you have 11. add the feats then you are at 13 with the +2 bonus. .

this scene this scene comes to mind.

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 09:28:15 PM »

i added dwarf, i forgot to mention that, but the dwarven articulated plate with heavy fittings is at 8, add the tower shield since it has gaurd 3 and you have 11. add the feats then you are at 13 with the +2 bonus. .

Guard doesn't add to DR, it adds to Defense.

Double check your math.

Dwarf construction gets you to DR 10, conversely Elf construction lets you skip light weight and gets rid of the ACP penalty.

The Tower Shield would then add 3 to your defense, for a net gain of DR 9, Blunt 2, +2 Def with Elven construction, or DR 10, Blunt 2, ACP -1, Def +2 with Dwarven construction.

Now add Shield B/M with Armor B/M/S and you reduce the AP on anything attacking you by 5, too.  Add an Origin with Melee Combat Expert and you reduce AP by up to 7!  Shocked

Few things are going to be able to punch through that armor.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 09:39:21 PM »

Guard doesn't add to DR, it adds to Defense.

Double check your math.

Now add Shield B/M with Armor B/M/S and you reduce the AP on anything attacking you by 5, too.  Add an Origin with Melee Combat Expert and you reduce AP by up to 7!  Shocked

Few things are going to be able to punch through that armor.

Not to mention a Soldier's Fortune of War, Armor Use, and Portable Cover. Plus what ever mileage you can talk out of your GM regarding the cover comment in the Tower Shield. Then add Shield Block, Great Fortitude, Two Weapon Fighting and Guard and some normal weapon with the guard quality (because two tower shields is too much for me). Then the Aggro Chain for shits and giggles. If choosing Aggro, I'd go with a Sword since it's also Wis based, otherwise the Con based Hammer is appealing.

Wink
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 09:51:08 PM by Krensky » Logged

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 09:46:44 PM »

Not to mention a Soldier's Fortune of War, Armor Use, and Portable Cover. Plus what ever mileage you can talk out of your GM regarding the cover comment in the Tower Shield. Then add Shield Block, Great Fortitude, Two Weapon Fighting and Guard and some normal weapon with the guard quality (because two tower shields is too much for me). Then the Aggro Chain for shits and giggles.

Wink

If I ever get to play in Fantasy Craft again, instead of running, I think I know what I am doing.  Or I may just make an NPC like this.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: