Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 04:08:53 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  My Little Project: Fantasycraft is Magic!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Little Project: Fantasycraft is Magic!  (Read 2547 times)
Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »

So... after I made this, several of my customers that play Fantasy Craft challenged me to prove it.

So, I did, and it was... ok. But then I recently found it again and decided to finish it. So here it goes in Google Doc PDF.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8FCrAZcFJJDVklOSXM4SkZGbWs/edit?usp=sharing

Tell me what you think. I actually have one GM who wants to use it in an "anything goes multiverse" kinda setting, but I said it would be a good idea for the Crafty Forumites to tear into it first. So, please, dig in!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 06:19:40 PM by Big_Jim » Logged
Goodlun
Operative

Yeah thats me with my Judo Gi and an AK-47

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 05:05:59 PM »

As a dad of a 6 year old girl (who is obsessed with this show) , I have to say very well done good sir, very well done indeed.
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 05:29:53 PM »

Not so sure about the "Beast" type, seeing as how the ponies manage to get a lot done even without hands.
Big_Jim
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 09:54:12 PM »

They get all that stuff done the same way "drake made" stuff gets done.  Undecided
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 05:57:12 AM »

Since the Beast entry in the Foes section clearly states—
It lacks hands or other fine manipulators and can’t take actions requiring them.
—I'm not sure that argument is valid.  Nothing about the species upgrades suggests they have to be made by the species in question.

Furthermore:
It can only use armor, handheld gear, and non-natural weapons specifically modified for its use.
The stuff the ponies use rarely looks modified.
Big_Jim
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 01:16:59 PM »

I don't remember them using "hoof-hands". The animation style is very simplistic, but I can't remember any pony gripping something. Hooking a handle, gripping with the mouth, and simply appearing on-screen wearing something with no explanation of how it got put on, yes. But holding a pen, swinging a bat, anything that you can do with real hands, no. Those things were always performed by someone with fingers (like spike) or a unicorn casting unseen servant via the horn. I only watched the first season, though. Can you cite examples of ponies on the show using "hoof-hands"?
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 03:07:31 PM »

I only watched the first season, though.
It may have been more common in the second season.
Can you cite examples of ponies on the show using "hoof-hands"?
Been a while for me.  Best I can remember right now is the musicians at the Grand Galloping Gala.  In particular the cello player was using a bow without any visible means of attaching it to a hoof.

Also I do remember in "Call of the Cutie" Applebloom using a pencil with her mouth.

My point is really that only a minimum of the equipment shown in the show looks unmodified, meaning by my estimation the ponies don't have to use the Beast upgrade on anything.
Goodlun
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 07:29:52 PM »

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110826004128/mlp/images/thumb/2/28/Octavia_playing_a_sonata_S1E26.png/822px-Octavia_playing_a_sonata_S1E26.png

By contrast take a look at the Horn, it really is sort of a hard call, perhaps one could use a bow with out fine manipulators if it where somehow stuck to the hand?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzjkBwZtxp4

I think I would go with Beast with some good old hand waving when it comes to none plot critical stuff

however here is a picture that is certainly Hoof hands

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110731034025/mlp/images/c/c9/Ponyville%27s_residents%2C_participating_in_the_Winter_Wrap_Up_S01E11.png

« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 07:31:27 PM by Goodlun » Logged
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 07:49:05 PM »

I think I would go with Beast with some good old hand waving when it comes to none plot critical stuff
There's still the mouth to consider.  I could see something about their counting as having one hand with some limitations.
Big_Jim
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 09:36:58 PM »

Ok. The mouth issue is no different than what drakes or any other beast has to put up with. I just watched the winter wrap up episode up to the point that the hoof-hands with shovels pic above comes from, and up to that point, everything is done via mouth. Ringing bells, carrying baskets, shoveling snow, etc. I'm thinking that the hoof hands are really more of an animation choice and not important to modeling the species. I think Beast is the right way to go. Honestly, I didn't think beast would be a hanging point for anybody. I though that some feats would be questioned and class abilities in the Master Class. Oh well.
Goodlun
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 10:32:14 PM »

I didn't think beast would be a hanging point for anybody. I though that some feats would be questioned and class abilities in the Master Class. Oh well.
I think beast is the right choice, as for the feats they look good to me but I am not the greatest min maxers or game breakers around so its hard to say if they are balanced.  Nothing stood out as broken.
As for the Master Class is it works but I think I would almost like to see Celestial Royal as a specialty that grants a species feat instead of as a master class.  Then one could simply take the regent class.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 01:15:11 AM »

Disclaimer:  I really do no understand this whole "My Little Pony" thing that has kind of permeated the internet - especially adults being fans of it.  So my responses are strictly from a balance / potential min-max perspective.

Race: Looks perfectly fine, and is pretty close to what I would have given a medium size horse species (the obvious exceptions being Natural Elegance and Cutie Mark).  Beast type makes total sense to me, and from the scene grabs and descriptions in this thread it doesn't seem like they do anything that a Drake (the gold standard for any beast race) wouldn't be able / allowed to do.

Feats:  Cutie Mark Crusader: Why does this let them keep wounds as medium?  I think it bumps the power level a little too high (without the wound penalty, Small is actually pretty big advantage), and it just doesn't make that much sense to me.  I'd take it on almost every character of this species (which is my personal alarm bell).

Sea Herd strikes me as a little too potent, but it's effect is hugely campaign dependant (so I'd be happy to let it go).  The big problem is that with Lead it is functionally a full secondary movement, and a really high one at that.

Sky Herd is like a 3.5pt feat (a little too good) - I say reduce the base to 30ft if you want to keep the size advantage, but personally I'd say remove that benefit entirely and keep the speed where it is (I can't see any reason why they should have the size benefit, to be honest).  Again, this to me is a total go to feat - a single feat that gives you excellent flight is unseen in the basic rules (the next closest is 2 feats deep and costs an action die).

Uni Herd: Not a problem with the feat, but I would change the wording so that it's a Natural Spell.  It make it clear that no spellcasting roll is needed, or spell points spent, and more importantly - it gives you a caster level (which would be my first question about the feat).  Unseen Servant is pretty mellow, so I have no problems with multiple casts, but given it's got a multiple hour duration 1/Scene is probably plenty.  As a bonus, with Natural Spell: Unseen Servant, you could consider bumping Uni Herd.  Maybe always count as having a doctor's bag - since Unicorns are depicted as excellent/natural healers in mythology.

Uni Lead: Teleport I is a iffy without a caster level.  Natural Spell solves that problem (as above).  Also consider changing it to Dimension Door - it looks like it does closer to what you want and you might not need to reduce range (1000 ft could be too much though, given you only want the 250ft range).  Also 1/Scene (from natural spell) is probably more balanced then AD/Session.

Celestial Royal (Class): Knowledge or Power is inspired.  I'm gonna tuck that away in my bag of tricks for use later.

Royalty of All Herds, Regal Bearing, and Marked to Lead all look totally fine - no problems there at all.

Elegance Personified is fine in the core game, but if you have any feats or abilities that key off appearance mod then there could be problems (imagine Bloodstain Resistance on a character with a +15 Appearance Modifier, or a character who instead of 2-5 times per session can do something 3 or more times that often).

Ruler of the Celestial Herd is a cool ability, but I'd consider giving it a secondary benefit that means that it makes the scene it's used in Dramatic.  Just so the player can use them when they want to / when they think it's important.

Hopefully any of that is of use to you, and again - just speaking as a powergamer, not as a fan of the show.
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 05:35:38 AM »

The mouth issue is no different than what drakes or any other beast has to put up with.
Except that by the RAW that's not how drakes are supposed to work either.  They aren't supposed to act as if they had anything like a hand.  I assume that a RAW Beast could manipulate stuff with their mouth and legs, but would be at a penalty.  The ponies don't strike me as having that problem.

All that being said if anyone wants to hand-wave the issue I'm not going try and stop them so long as it's made clear they are doing that.
Honestly, I didn't think beast would be a hanging point for anybody.
I think carefully about stuff I like.  I like creatures with non-human forms, so I always consider carefully how it will look when they do things.
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 08:25:45 AM »

What happens if you buy the Cutie Mark Crusader feat and then reduce your attributes by 2 to pick up Magical Cutie Mark?  Do you get the mark immediately?

For the master class, are the requirements too steep?  I'm not sure.  Also, Elegance Personified can quite easily achieve an Appearance bonus in the mid teens, which translates into nearly unfailing bluff and impress.  I'm not saying it's game breaking or anything, just pointing it out.

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 08:37:40 AM »

Magical Cutie Mark really needs a "Cutie Mark" prereq - that would solve that issue Blankbeard.

Also, since I forgot to mention it in my last post - excellent work Big_Jim.  You've done a great job of representing a pretty weird concept in an almost totally balanced fashion.  A few tweaks and I'd allow it in an anything goes type situation (I'm actually starting such a game in a week and going for 5-6 weeks).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: