Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 30, 2014, 02:38:16 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Wanna see Pat eat some brains?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wanna see Pat eat some brains?  (Read 750 times)
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 19, 2012, 08:09:39 PM »

Of course I'm talkin' about the Walking Dead Escape event at San Diego Comic-Con! (My order for brain stealing tech hasn't yet been filled, but I'm counting the days...)

What's all this about eating brains then? Go check out the event at the link above. It's basically a live action survival horror obstacle course that runs through PetCo Park in San Diego. You can sign up as a Survivor (which is insanely expensive at $70 per head), or you can sign up as a walker for anywhere from $0 to $40 and get made up by the show's SFX crew (no joke - they'll be on hand to turn all the walkers into undead nightmares).

So my Comic-Con wingman Crafty_Steve and I are getting all dolled up for a night of casual gray matter dining on Thursday evening from 5:30pm to 9pm. If you're at the show and want to see us chase around hapless survivors, come on by! We'd love to taste your brai-, I mean, we'd love to see you there!

If you can't make it, no worries - there will of course be pictures. Wink

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 08:16:11 PM »

So I've received my shambling orders and need to figure out what to wear. The event's instructions follow. All (reasonable/interesting) suggestions welcome. Smiley

WALKERS HAVE FASHION SENSE, TOO.

The KNB EFX Artists strive to create the creepiest zombies out there, so we require that you  follow the clothing guidelines below to comply with their epic Walker style. We ask that all Walkers arrive at Petco Park donning your oldest, dirtiest and deadliest clothing. Between make-up, haunting the course, and eating flesh, your clothes WILL get dirty. Please wear something you plan on discarding...or pinning to your wall as a souvenir from the best day of your life.

Acceptable Walker Fashion
  • Old, dirty, ripped up jeans, shorts, sweatpants, slacks
  • Hole-y, grimy, stained teeshirts, sweatshirts, dress shirts
  • An old bathrobe - because the apocalypse happened while you were in the shower.
  • Old work attire - because your newly un-dead boss terrorized the entire office mid workday.
  • Dirty, sweat-stained workout clothes - because you ran into a horde while working on your fitness.
  • Tattered first date attire - because your date was not as chivalrous as you had hoped.
  • Sneakers. Because everyone wears sneakers during the Apocalypse. Trust us.

Un-acceptable Walker Fashion
  • High heels, flip-flops, any open-toed footwear
  • Midriff tops, short shorts - because the makeup team will want to spend their time focusing on your zombie face, not your body.
  • Anything super, super clean... unless you want us to ruin it for you.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 09:14:49 PM »

A bright orange jump suit?
Workman's overalls?

Moebius
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 09:20:51 PM »

Misfits fan?

Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 09:40:23 PM »

That or Aperature: tearing holes in space and time is inherently risky.

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 01:23:28 AM »

Personally I pictured MCA, back from the dead to sort out the dire state of the hip-hop scene...

Although i'm pretty sure that jumpsuit was white.

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 02:11:09 AM »

Misfits fan?

If I had the time, I might actually make a Misfits jumper - complete with the text. Ah well...

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 06:38:06 AM »

Been beyond swamped since getting back from Comic-Con, so I haven't had the chance to post about this until now. The Escape event was incredible - a true obstacle course rather than merely a horror maze, highly physical and filled with proper fitness challenges. It was also not incredibly safe, which was a good part of why it was so much fun IMHO. Of course that means that should it return in 2013 it will probably be fairly sanitized - after the lawyers get done with it - and that would be a damn shame. (I haven't heard of any fallout yet but I'm sure there will be some eventually - someone will wind up with tetanus or something, and they'll see an opportunity for quick cash. It's a sad but true reality in today's culture.)

Despite my earliest Facebook post I wound up in Zone 3, which turned out to be the best of what I saw (I walked most of the course at the end of the night and I think I saw maybe 16 zones or so, out of what I believe was 18). My zone was small, consisting of two sets of chain link fences laid on their sides over low barricades (about 3 feet off bare pavement), and more barricades in-between, arranged to form an abrupt and confined maze of sorts. This is where we walkers were stationed (well, all but one of us, who positioned herself on top of the first chain link fence so she could freak out folks who crawled under - and that, of course, was the point).

Survivors/Runners were directed to crawl under the chain link fences while avoiding us. At their orientation they had been warned that the infection was spread by touch, and that everyone would be tested at the end of the course. Separately, we were told that the infection was actually Tide patted onto the fingers and palms of some walkers, and that a black light would be used at the end of the course to determine which survivors/runners had been infected (I later learned from several survivors that the infected were handed a cap gun and given the option to "do the right thing").

The walkers were also told that some of us were "safe" and positioned for purposes other than to spread infection. This was the point of our particular zone. We couldn't infect anyone but the runners didn't know that, and as they came through we were supposed to freak them out as much as possible so they would rush into Zone 4 without paying attention. Zone 4 was decidedly un-safe, featuring lots of "Tided" zombies and a few ambush points.

We started with five walkers in my zone but wound up with only two by the end (myself and the girl perched on top of the first fence). Apparently I was doing well enough at freaking folks out that the crew felt the other walkers were better placed in other zones, in particular Zone 1 (the freeway), where Crafty_Steve was stationed (his job was to happily munch on the entrails of some actress hired for the evening, which was apparently tons of fun but unfortunately off to the side and mostly decorative).

The makeup crew were amazing and I initially thought the highlight of my evening was going to be meeting SFX genius/executive producer Greg Nicotero (and it's still up there). Turns out, however, that I was personally made up by none other than Joe Giles (the Windshield Walker from "Triggerfinger") and Carl Cunningham (aka the Well Walker from "Cherokee Rose"). We had a great chat while they were transforming me into the undead, and they explained that many of the most complex walkers on the show are actually SFX crew members. It only makes sense - they know the effects better than anyone and can present them for maximum impact on screen.

Folks who read my Facebook posts probably already saw that I made the G4 floor report about the event - four times, in fact - and I'm all over YouTube as well. This is because we were in the very first run of the course (Thursday night), and the first folks brought through were media and VIPs - including but not limited to Robert Kirkman (creator of the comic), Greg Mazarra (executive producer of the TV show), and of course Candace Bailey, Nando Velasquez, and their crew from Attack of the Show. I couldn't break character to wave or anything, and apparently I was unrecognizable enough that Nando didn't have a clue I was me, even though I lunged within a foot of he and Candace (Nando and I met at WonderCon earlier this year and have stayed in contact since.)

I've got a ton of pics, including a bunch of me as a walker, which I'll be posting to Facebook later this morning. Subscribers will be able to see them as well, so you won't have to be my friend there to enjoy the shots.

UPDATE: Pics are live.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 01:24:16 PM by Crafty_Pat » Logged

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 08:49:17 AM »

Sorry, Pat, unable to view the pics due to them being marked as unavailable or because I am not on Facebook

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 10:55:10 AM »

Sorry, Pat, unable to view the pics due to them being marked as unavailable or because I am not on Facebook

That I cannot help, sadly, as FB is the only place I keep photos on the internet anymore. Sorry!

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th