Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 07:34:08 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Looking to start an online game [full]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looking to start an online game [full]  (Read 868 times)
Deverash
Recruit

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2012, 10:00:39 PM »

Sorry if this is the wrong place, the PBP section just seemed wrong too.  Feel free to move it to wherever would be good.

I'm looking to start a group playing online using Maptools/Skype, and this is probably the largest accumulation of Fantasy Craft players around(at least, I'd hope so.   Wink

I'm looking to get a few players together on Tuesday evenings, maybe something like 6pm - 10pm Central.  I'd like to do one of the pathfinder adventure paths(such as Rise of the Runelords or the Curse of the Crimson Throne), but if the players are suitably motivated, I can do a sandbox type game too.  I have a few ideas for something like that, but my ideas run dry if the players don't drive some things too(which happened in my last group a lot).

So, if your interested, shoot me an email, and we'll see where this goes.

I'll now return you to your regularily scheduled gaming discussions.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 10:34:36 PM by Deverash » Logged

Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 10:15:52 PM »

I'm already in Central Time (Oklahoma), so might be interested (depending on how my schedule shakes out in other areas). I'm already playing in a Crimson Throne game elsewhere, so if I do find myself able to get involved I'd vote for the Runelords (if only because having a script to work from rarely hurts).

I'd suggest up front, however, that you look at Ventrilo for your voice needs. Skype can be a resource hog, especially when you're conferencing.

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
Deverash
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 10:27:10 PM »

I'm already in Central Time (Oklahoma), so might be interested (depending on how my schedule shakes out in other areas). I'm already playing in a Crimson Throne game elsewhere, so if I do find myself able to get involved I'd vote for the Runelords (if only because having a script to work from rarely hurts).

I'd suggest up front, however, that you look at Ventrilo for your voice needs. Skype can be a resource hog, especially when you're conferencing.

I do like Vent more.  But I dno't have access to a Vent server, and don't really have the cash to shell out to rent one.   Skype has the advantage of being free for everyone.  Smiley  I might look into Teamspeak, I can run probably run a server of that along side hosting maptools without an issue.

Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 12:49:45 AM »

I have also had a lot of trouble with Skype video conferencing.

I have had good luck with Google+ hangouts for video conferencing but we usually only have 3 people total, so I don't know how well they scale.  I THINK they can have up to 10 people in total but I am not sure about that.  They do have an annoying bit where you have to click a button every hour to make sure you are still at your computer or they drop you from the call.

But I think Vent would be my server of choice.  It takes a little work to get it set up but you can host a local Vent server that can have up to 8 simultaneous connections for free.  Not good enough for MMO guilds and raids but sufficient for most tabletop style games.

Teamspeak would probably also work but I have never used it personally.  I've always grabbed and set up Vent when I need something like that.

I'm interested in a game but I'll have to bow out of this one.  I couldn't get home early enough on Tuesdays to make it work.  The earliest I could be reliably available is 7PM Pacific Time which, if I haven't screwed up my time zone calculations completely yet again, wouldn't be until 9 PM central.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 12:55:26 AM »

i am interested, and live in the central time zone, but dont know about my work schedule.

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
Deverash
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 01:13:33 AM »

I have also had a lot of trouble with Skype video conferencing.

I have had good luck with Google+ hangouts for video conferencing but we usually only have 3 people total, so I don't know how well they scale.  I THINK they can have up to 10 people in total but I am not sure about that.  They do have an annoying bit where you have to click a button every hour to make sure you are still at your computer or they drop you from the call.

But I think Vent would be my server of choice.  It takes a little work to get it set up but you can host a local Vent server that can have up to 8 simultaneous connections for free.  Not good enough for MMO guilds and raids but sufficient for most tabletop style games.

Teamspeak would probably also work but I have never used it personally.  I've always grabbed and set up Vent when I need something like that.

I'm interested in a game but I'll have to bow out of this one.  I couldn't get home early enough on Tuesdays to make it work.  The earliest I could be reliably available is 7PM Pacific Time which, if I haven't screwed up my time zone calculations completely yet again, wouldn't be until 9 PM central.

Huh.  Never knew you could set up an 8 person vent server for free.  I do like vent over any of the others.  I guess I just assumed it couldn't be done.  I'll look into that.

And I'm pretty open on the time.  I'm off on Tuesdays, just figured evenings would be easier.  If there's enough people who want to play, who can make a different time frame, I have no objection.

tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 07:33:37 AM »

I am all kinds of interested in this.  Currently I'm available pretty much whenever, but I expect to be starting a new job soon, and then my availability becomes more like after 6pm Central on weekdays, and any time on most weekends.

As for technology, I hear good things about G+ hangouts.  Vent is also fine I guess, but I would prefer video chat and Vent doesn't do that to my knowledge.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
Deverash
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 10:29:33 AM »

I am all kinds of interested in this.  Currently I'm available pretty much whenever, but I expect to be starting a new job soon, and then my availability becomes more like after 6pm Central on weekdays, and any time on most weekends.

As for technology, I hear good things about G+ hangouts.  Vent is also fine I guess, but I would prefer video chat and Vent doesn't do that to my knowledge.

As I'm cameraless, you'll have to settle for my stellar voice, but if the rest of you want video chat, I can stand to watch you all.  Mind you, I have no familiarity with video chat systems, so I'll be led by you guys in this.

Oniya
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 04:47:52 PM »

I may be interested. I've looked into Maptools awhile ago, but never really went too far, since i couldn't find a group, and finding textures could be a pain in the ass sometimes. I'll think about it, since I don't have an RP group over the summer, this might sooth my desire to RP.
TheMadGent
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 04:54:16 PM »

Color me interested, if you've still got room. The scheduled time works for me. Which version of maptools do you plan on using?
Deverash
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 10:32:42 PM »

Color me interested, if you've still got room. The scheduled time works for me. Which version of maptools do you plan on using?

Yup, still have room, though looks like your going to be last.  From the rptools website, it looks like the last stable version is b87, so that's the one I'll probably be using.

Deverash
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 10:34:19 PM »

Thanks for the great response.  It looks like I've got enough players to get started.  If anyone wants to get on the waiting list, drop me a line.  If you haven't sent me an email yet, please do so today or tomorrow. 

Game on!

foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 10:38:23 PM »

im still on that list right?

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
Deverash
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 10:42:55 PM »

Yup, your almost first, to be honest.  I'm crashing hard so I probably won't get out the final emails til tomorrow.  the days I work, I don't get much done other than work and sleep(I so love 12 hours days on my feet).

foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 10:49:46 PM »

ok, i sent you a pm about that address.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: