Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2014, 07:15:21 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  New Specialty: Genesoldier
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Specialty: Genesoldier  (Read 1364 times)
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 07, 2012, 12:35:47 AM »

Genesoldier
Through magic or technology, something was done to you.  Someone took elements of other creatures and fused them with your essence, creating a new hybrid creature.
Bonus Feat: Pathfinder Basics (Appropriate Terrain type for your Animal Template)
Animal Empathy: The Disposition of non-adversary animals increase by 5
Hybrid Template: You have elements of other creatures within your body, giving you unique abilities.  Choose a Hybrid template from the list below.
Tenacious Spirit: You gain 1 additional vitality per level.

Hybrid Templates
Elephant
[+2.0]  If I recall...
[+1.0]  Thick Hide 2
[+1.0]  Improved Stability
[-1.0]  Lumbering

Cat
[+0.5]  Catfall
[+1.0]  Claw I
[+1.0]  Darkvision I
[+1.0]  Enlightened Skill (Sneak)
[-0.5]  Aloof

Lizard
[-0.5]  Cold Blooded
[+1.0]  Kit (Climbing Kit)
[+1.0]  Superior Climber I
[+1.5]  NPC Quality: Fast Healing

Chameleon
[-0.5]  Cold Blooded
[+2.0]  Chameleon I (Current terrain - based on Jungle Clutch)
[+0.5]  Prehensile Tail (+1 Item readied)
[+1.0]  Independant Eyes (only able to be flanked by 3 or more opponents)

Fish
[+2.0]  Aquatic II
[+2.0]  Swim Speed 20ft.
[-1.0]  Damage Vulnerability (Heat)

Dog
[+2.0]  Bloodhound
[+1.0]  Bite I

Rat
[+1.0]  Iron Gut
[+2.0]  Fast
[-0.5]  Repulsive Habits
[+0.5]  Catfall
[+0.0]  Reduced Size (-1, Minimum Tiny)

Bear
[-0.5]  Bloodthirsty
[+0.5]  Sterner Stuff
[+1.0]  Attribute Training (Strength + Constitution)
[+1.0]  Claw I
[+1.0]  Thick Hide 2

Bird
[+2.0]  Winged Flight 30ft
[+2.0]  Keen Sight
[-1.0]  Damage Vulnerability (Blunt)

Horse
[+1.0]  Sure Footed
[+2.0]  Fast (+10ft Speed)

Rhino
[+1.0]  Gore I
[+1.0]  Improved Stability
[+2.0]  Thick Hide 3
[-1.0]  Lumbering

Spider
[+1.0]  Multi-Armed
[+1.0]  Bite I
[+2.0]  Poison
[-1.0]  Reviled

Spider
[+1.0]  Multi-Armed
[+1.0]  Bite I
[+1.0]  Superior Climber
[+1.0]  Kit: Climbing Kit
[-1.0]  Reviled

Turtle
[+1.0]  Aquatic I
[+2.0]  Thick Hide 3
[+0.5]  Sterner Stuff
[-0.5]  Slow (Ground) -10ft

Snake
[+1.0]  Large (Medium Weapons)
[-1.0]  Banned Action: Kick Attacks, Tumble, Break Fall
[+1.0]  Bite I
[+2.0]  Terrifying Look

Frog
[+1.0]  Aquatic I
[+2.0]  Superior Jumper II
[-1.0]  Damage Vulnerability (Heat)
[+1.0]  You gain +1 Reach for Unarmed Disarm, Grapple and Trip attempts and may initiate Grapple attempts from within your reach.

Ape
[+1.0]  Superior Climber I
[+1.0]  Attribute Training (Strength + Con)
[+1.0]  Crunch!

Rabbit
[+2.0]  Fast (+10ft)
[+0.0]  Reduced Size (-1, Minimum Small)
[+1.0]  Agile Defence

Unstable Structure
[+1.0]  Ooze Type
[+1.0]  Kit: Disguise Kit
[+0.5]  Bleed Immunity
[+0.5]  Ignore Disguise check penalties from Height and Weight.

Chloroplastic Infusion
[+3.0]  Plant Type
[+0.5]  Bleed Immunity
[-0.5]  Archilles Heel: Fire

------------------

Opinions?  Ideas for more hybrid templates.  I kept them animal based, but I'd be curious to see if anyone has other hybridisation ideas.  The formatting is a little messy (notepad copypasta for the win!), but this way that people can see costs and stuff (in the event that I asspulled the numbers), I'll tidy it up once it's been sort of gone over a little.  Not totally satisified with Spider (mostly because I want it to put some webbing in there too).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:42:46 PM by Sletchman » Logged
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 10:52:03 AM »

For spider you could leave out poison (that's usually what the Venom Sacs Species feat is for) and add a quality that both gives them access to a Climbing Kit and allows them to share it with one other person.  (I did that for a spider-centaur I made, and I think I costed it at around 2 points.)
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 12:48:43 PM »

Perhaps a chameleon that's distinct from the Lizard?

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 08:49:23 PM »

I like the 3 point packages. How about a shark and snake?

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 09:57:47 PM »

I like the 3 point packages. How about a shark and snake?

Hmmm.  Shark is hard, because as I see it it's almost just a Fish + Bite (and something to offset the cost) - easy to model of course, but it leaves players question "Why ever play a fish if shark is the same plus more?".   Lizard/Snake has the same conflict - at least I could switch Lizard to a more Chameleon type.  Snake is more an issue because no manipulators at all makes for a harder PC (is that worse then beast, mechanically?).

I'm open to ideas though.  My current thinking is put a single species feat together that augments each race (lizard becomes chameleon, spider gains poison (based on Silvercats idea), Elephant gains trample/gore, etc).
The_Grand_User
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 02:22:49 PM »

Looks good, but needs some dinos.

Oh, and turtles, of course, along with the Martial Artist class Wink

I'm a programmer by trade, of course I like to tinker! Cheesy

"I don't want to fight dragons." - Hiccup

Drakes, the very best part about FC ^_^

I'm designing my own RPG, The Dual20 system! Cheesy
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 02:32:50 PM »

My current thinking is put a single species feat together that augments each race (lizard becomes chameleon, spider gains poison (based on Silvercats idea), Elephant gains trample/gore, etc).
The Venom Sacs feat already gives a "gains poison" option.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 09:16:06 PM »

My current thinking is put a single species feat together that augments each race (lizard becomes chameleon, spider gains poison (based on Silvercats idea), Elephant gains trample/gore, etc).
The Venom Sacs feat already gives a "gains poison" option.

Yeah, that's what I meant by "based on [your] post" - leave poison out and then mod Toxin Sacks entry requirements (since it's normally Drake / Saurian only) to allow them to take it.  I'd just also need to also come up with options for the other options, to avoid a case of "[X] is clearly better" - the same problem I'm headbutting against with Shark vs Fish (the only solution I can think of right now is to make Shark the Species Feat for Fish, and Chameleon for lizard, "big cat" for cat, etc).

@Grand User: Turtles!  How did I not think of that.  /facepalm

Dinos are cool too, but I mean of all the kinda-science-anthro-critter-thing concepts the Turtles should have been the first in line.  Once I'm home I'll put one together for them (though feel free to do so if you feel inclined and beat me to it - dinos too).

I'll also add Ape, too.  I still want to do Snake, but the lack of any arms/legs makes it harder - that's flat out (a lot) worse then beast type, but I have no idea what kind of cost to apply to it.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 11:23:30 PM »

Why strip the arms?

Off the top of my head, make them large, reach 1, and cold blooded. No idea how that goes on points withput looking though.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
The_Grand_User
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 01:15:08 AM »

For snakes, they could be beasts with a 0 point Prehensile Tail and no arms. It should be about the same as a normal beast's "fine" manipulators. Or just leave the arms, though maybe take away the legs.

I'm a programmer by trade, of course I like to tinker! Cheesy

"I don't want to fight dragons." - Hiccup

Drakes, the very best part about FC ^_^

I'm designing my own RPG, The Dual20 system! Cheesy
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 02:36:21 AM »

For snakes, they could be beasts with a 0 point Prehensile Tail and no arms. It should be about the same as a normal beast's "fine" manipulators. Or just leave the arms, though maybe take away the legs.

Why strip the arms?

It just seemed more snakey.  I think it'll be fine having no legs and leaving arms on (it's also in keeping with the "humanoid with bits" approach).  Ends up kinda being Bushmaster (which is actually a pretty awesome end product in itself).

Should I put a prerequisite line of "Folk/Fey" in there?  Just to avoid Drake Genesoldiers, Unborn Genesoldiers, Rootwalker Genesoldiers and the questions that kind of combination creates (ex Drake + Bird = Flight ??)?
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 02:48:32 AM »

drakes already have flight. i think living would make a good requirement since unborn do not have genes to begin with.

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 02:58:22 AM »

drakes already have flight. i think living would make a good requirement since unborn do not have genes to begin with.

I meant "how much"?  It doesn't seem fair that they pay 2 points from a specialty and get squat for the cost.  Easy fix is to make it +10ft if you already have that movement type (also allows for swim speed species + fish and so on).  Living works, except Rootwalker (so might just be easiest to put Folk, Beasts, or Fey - ooze and elemental are as iffy as plants in my mind).  If a player said they were going to play a Flesh Unborn I'd allow it though, but that need not be a built in rule.

I wanted to update the OP but my internet is being... unpleasant...   I'll get on it soon as I can fix it (Snakes, Apes, Turtles for sure, and I'm considering a few Dino's, but looking for ideas - also possibly other genetic abnormalities - Ooze perhaps?).
spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 05:22:32 AM »

I actually ease the requirements of some feats, so I like to leave things as open as possible, I mean if you just think of Dwarf Blooded as 'Dwarf Crafted' instead it makes perfect sense for Unborn (as do pretty much all the others). A slight glazing over of the name and I can't see why it wouldn't work for Unborn or Drakes (though some do work out wierder than others, a Lizardfolk Lizard Genesoldier? (not helped out by restricting to folk only either).
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 05:37:06 AM »

Very valid and good point.  Just let common sense and imagination prevail.  I like your style.  I'm the same too - I've let a player take Goblin Blood with a Drake to be a sort of "fairy dragon" (as he put it).
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: