Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 05:01:59 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  Newbie questions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newbie questions  (Read 7788 times)
JMobius
Recruit

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2012, 09:09:01 AM »

Hi. Just recently started reading the novels recently, and I just opted to pick up this game on Monday. Smiley

I'm actually rather impressed with it, seems like a surprisingly tight little design. I do have one question about something that has me confused, though. Specifically, it relates to "Catching a Beat".

It says that "Catching a Beat" generates no additional dice. What does this mean in the context of a Challenge and a Contest?

For a Conflict, I *think* it means that you don't get any new dice added to your Action Dice pool, so any dice you use for the roll have to come from there. It seems like that is probably a rather limited supply, which might diminish the value of Catching a Beat... especially since you are supposed to convert your Action Dice to Defense Dice immediately after forming the pool for your action, by my reading.

TIA! Smiley
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 10:05:35 AM »

Your read is correct. Whether you're dealing with a Challenge, Contest, Conflict, or another part of the game, Catching a Beat never grants you extra dice. It grants you extra opportunity to use the dice you already have, however - in that you can take an additional action if you have the dice to power it.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
JMobius
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 04:24:07 PM »

Okay, that makes some sense. I guess "Catching a Beat" is really only relevant in the context of a Conflict anyway, where you've got a 'source' pool of dice.

How do things work with respect to Action Dice converting to Defense Dice though? Is that supposed to happen AFTER all rolls, so if a Beat gets Caught, there are still Action Dice to draw from?
Skywalker
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 11:12:27 PM »

How do things work with respect to Action Dice converting to Defense Dice though? Is that supposed to happen AFTER all rolls, so if a Beat gets Caught, there are still Action Dice to draw from?

Common sense suggests a big "Yes". Smiley
JMobius
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 08:06:17 AM »

Okay, cool. Smiley

One last mention then, in case there are any future updates to the book: Part of the origin for my confusion is on page 144, the sidebar on "Do I get more Dice when I catch a beat?". It says to see page 135 for details on limited dice, but that page does not at all seem to be correct.
Dreamstreamer
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 10:59:31 AM »

Okay, cool. Smiley

One last mention then, in case there are any future updates to the book: Part of the origin for my confusion is on page 144, the sidebar on "Do I get more Dice when I catch a beat?". It says to see page 135 for details on limited dice, but that page does not at all seem to be correct.

I believe the reference was never updated. Pg. 135 of the previous version points to what would be the "Beats" section on pg. 137 in the latest version. Good catch!
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 11:07:38 AM »

Okay, cool. Smiley

Uh, wow. I have no idea what happened there. I can't even see where that reference was supposed to point (there's no obvious typo), though clearly it should be directing readers into the Conflicts chapter.

You always wind up with one or two embarrassing things in every book - even after proofing. Given the other obvious typo in the same sentence, I think we can safely say this is the first shameful bit of the Mistborn Adventure Game.  Embarrassed

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 11:09:29 AM »

I believe the reference was never updated. Pg. 135 of the previous version points to what would be the "Beats" section on pg. 137 in the latest version. Good catch!

That's probable. My guess is that InDesign's S&R somehow skipped sidebars, or perhaps just that one sidebar. That happens sometimes, though I tried to compensate with a manual review. Clearly I missed one. Hopefully it's the only one. Hopefully.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Dreamstreamer
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 12:06:51 PM »

Hopefully it's the only one. Hopefully.

Fingers crossed! (For luck, not lying.)
oxinabox
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 09:14:02 AM »

So catching a beat is only useful if you are willing to give some of the dice you were saving for defense up to make an extra attack?
Or have i muss understood how dice work in combat

A New Dusk: Alloy of Law Adventure Game
http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=6148
With twinborn, compounders, guns, explosives
---
Please stop titling topics: "Quick Question" etc.
It isn't helpful
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 09:25:40 AM »

So catching a beat is only useful if you are willing to give some of the dice you were saving for defense up to make an extra attack?
Or have i muss understood how dice work in combat

Not necessarily. There are plenty of actions that your Narrator may determine don't require a roll and therefore don't require you to commit dice to performing them. For example, I wouldn't require dice for any action that couldn't fail, or and I probably wouldn't require any for relatively simple but involved actions either (like manipulating a series of levers or tossing a torch out into the open to illuminate an area).

As to the rest of your statement, I'd edit it to this...

So catching a beat is only useful if you are willing to give some dice to do something?

Assuming whatever you want to do requires dice, yes. Wink

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

oxinabox
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 07:38:51 PM »

Ok cool, that is what i thought.

Hmm, so diceless actions:
*drawing a weapon can't be used when caching a beat, since to catch it you already likely drew a weapon.
*Reloading a gun can though. (under my rules)
*Throwing some coins around the room to Lurch back to you

I'ld have said that speaking is a free action (that can be done even in someone elses turn if appropriate), in a phycial combat,
haven't checkd though

A New Dusk: Alloy of Law Adventure Game
http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=6148
With twinborn, compounders, guns, explosives
---
Please stop titling topics: "Quick Question" etc.
It isn't helpful
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 10:11:31 AM »

Of course the system's fluid on purpose, allowing you to define where the line between diced and diceless actions falls. By extension, this lets you define how powerful catching a Beat is in your game.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 01:18:16 PM »

I believe you can move another step after catching a beat without needing to roll dice.  So if you caught a beat you could open or close distance between you and the target.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
JMobius
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 03:59:16 PM »

A new question: How does extinguishing metals work? I don't see anything about it in the Allomantic rules (could be just blind), but it is a very common action in the book. It seems like it would interact strangely with the burn rate/charges rules, though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: