Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2014, 01:21:25 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  Newbie questions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newbie questions  (Read 6305 times)
JMobius
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2012, 03:11:20 PM »

Actually, I've got one more now. Sorry! Smiley

The bit on 'extended actions' that require multiple successes to come to conclusions is in the section on Contests, and is written so as to only apply to them. What about Challenges? Can they also span multiple successes to finish, or is that supposed to be subsumed in to Difficulty?
EmpactWB
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2012, 08:22:16 PM »

As it is "Extended Contests", not "Extended Actions" (do I detect a fellow WoD fan?), I think that it's probably subsumed into Difficulty for Challenges. From page 140: "Challenges are the most common type, and use only the basic rules for rolling dice. Contests and Conflicts have additional rules that are described on pages 157 and 169."

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

Your game room, kid-friendly again

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2012, 08:26:20 PM »

I could see those rules being used for lengthy or complex Challenges, sure. It's not a standard application of the rules (thus the current organization), but there's no reason you couldn't apply them in the right context.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
JMobius
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2012, 01:29:27 PM »

Next! In physical conflicts, when and how does movement during a beat 'resolve'?
Skywalker
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2012, 10:50:20 PM »

Next! In physical conflicts, when and how does movement during a beat 'resolve'?

As a matter of interest are these questions coming up in actual play, or just your reading through the text?

FWIW I don't think Mistborn's game system has a static rule as to when movement during a beat resolves. Movement is very loosely handles and the amount of movement can vary. I strongly suggest that your use your common sense and be confident that its in everyone's interest to keep the narrative exciting and free flowing.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 10:52:04 PM by Skywalker » Logged
JMobius
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2012, 10:57:44 PM »

I think almost all my questions have come up from in play concerns, either questions posed to me by players or things I've been wondering about having to act for NPCs. I'm not really one to try to nitpick a system for the sake of doing so. Smiley
Skywalker
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2012, 11:36:00 PM »

I think almost all my questions have come up from in play concerns, either questions posed to me by players or things I've been wondering about having to act for NPCs. I'm not really one to try to nitpick a system for the sake of doing so. Smiley

It's cool. Most of your questions just haven't come up in my actual play experiences, so I was just curious.
JMobius
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2012, 02:29:03 PM »

Latest question: It says that for both Zinc and Brass, you can target multiple individuals up to your rating with the respective metals. How does that work, particularly with respect to a flared state? My assumption would be similarly to the way multiple targets for Steel/Iron does, but that runs into some problems when Copper is introduced.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2012, 07:11:37 AM »

Latest question: It says that for both Zinc and Brass, you can target multiple individuals up to your rating with the respective metals. How does that work, particularly with respect to a flared state? My assumption would be similarly to the way multiple targets for Steel/Iron does, but that runs into some problems when Copper is introduced.

Lay out the situation for me.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

JMobius
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2012, 08:15:48 AM »

There was a powerful Rioter who wanted to use an "emotional Allomancy" attack against Willpower during a Conflict. There were two targets, both of which were burning Copper, but they each had different ratings. How do I determine his Action dice, and how are they applied?
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2012, 08:18:18 AM »

There was a powerful Rioter who wanted to use an "emotional Allomancy" attack against Willpower during a Conflict. There were two targets, both of which were burning Copper, but they each had different ratings. How do I determine his Action dice, and how are they applied?

I'm confused. The number of targets and their stats shouldn't matter for determining the Rioter's Action Dice. Those are determined with his stats, not theirs.

Am I missing something?

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

JMobius
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2012, 08:31:02 AM »

Since the Rioter is attacking multiple targets, I assume (it is not clearly stated how this works) it functions the same as the Multiple Targets Stunt for Steel/Iron: Create your pool, roll once, each target defends seperately and compares against your roll. However, Copper subtracts its rating from the Rioter's dice pool. If each target has a distinct Copper rating, this has me confused how to form that single pool for the Rioter.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2012, 09:04:40 AM »

Since the Rioter is attacking multiple targets, I assume (it is not clearly stated how this works) it functions the same as the Multiple Targets Stunt for Steel/Iron: Create your pool, roll once, each target defends seperately and compares against your roll. However, Copper subtracts its rating from the Rioter's dice pool. If each target has a distinct Copper rating, this has me confused how to form that single pool for the Rioter.

Let me think on this a bit and maybe confer with Alex. More as I know.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

oxinabox
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2012, 09:23:15 AM »

I guess a balanced way to do it would be (I haven't looked at those rules, but judging from the explinations above)
base riot dicepool 8
consider BestCopper 5
and WorstCopper 3

First roll 3 dice (8-5), to determine result agaist BestCopper,
then roll 2 more (8-3=5, then -3 already rolled), combining with the 3 already rolled to find more pairs.

(I think this is elegant, but as stated haven't read those rules)

A New Dusk: Alloy of Law Adventure Game
http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=6148
With twinborn, compounders, guns, explosives
---
Please stop titling topics: "Quick Question" etc.
It isn't helpful
Dreamstreamer
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »

Are the two targets within each other's coppercloud (ten paces)? If so, I would just use the higher Copper rating.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: