Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 28, 2014, 11:54:12 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  Alloy preview tidbits!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alloy preview tidbits!  (Read 826 times)
lord Claincy Ffnord
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 07:57:20 PM »

Updated rules for duels, based on feedback:

The winner of the Contest can choose to either:

•   end the duel and gain a Serious Social Burden (like “yellow-bellied” or “coward”);
•   continue the duel into another round and add cumulative +1 damage when he or she finally chooses to shoot; or
•   shoot using his Result as his attack roll, and any additional damage they’ve accumulated during the duel; if the loser is not Defeated by this attack, they shoot back, using their Result as their attack roll and adding any additional damage they’ve accumulated during the duel. Neither party can defend or use a Reaction against this attack (everything’s moving too fast!). After both attacks are resolved, the duel ends.

Once a duel is ended, neither party can participate in another duel again until the next Short or Long Breather.

I think this is a good improvement Smiley
Now there is a very good reason for characters to choose to back out of the duel and I can easily imagine a situation where both players/characters choose to keep adding to their damage, too afraid to take the shot but hoping their opponent will back down first until finally one of them doesn't roll a pair or one decides that avoiding a social burden isn't worth risking death.

It is a little strange in some ways that when they choose to take the shot they will already know exactly how much damage they will do and whether the opponent will hit and how much damage they will do. But it should work well enough.
Kurkistan_
Jr. Agent

Catquisitor

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 11:00:09 AM »

Well at least health is somewhat "hidden" in the game, so it's always a coin flip if the amount of damage you'll do to your opponent is enough to take them out completely.
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 02:23:32 PM »

It is a little strange in some ways that when they choose to take the shot they will already know exactly how much damage they will do and whether the opponent will hit and how much damage they will do. But it should work well enough.

What I'm trying to avoid is this turning into a full combat, which, by the boundaries of the rules, means this needs to be resolved in a single exchange.

If we're all worried about it, I could certainly say "...if the loser is not Defeated or does not suffer a Grave or Mortal Burden from this attack..." which would mean a) the duel is shorter and b) the quick draw tends to plug the other guy and end things before they get too deadly, since inflicting a Grave Burden only requires knocking off 1/2 of their current Resilience...

ephealy
Crafty Staff
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 12:02:43 AM »

Alex and I did a short Hangout on GameratiTV about Alloy of Law. You can find the recording here.
Aiken Frost
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 10:26:50 PM »

This topic demonstrates why you Crafty-guys are awesome! Cheesy

About the mechanic, might I suggest something? While the duel as presented is awesome (specially with the option to cause social and psychological "damage" as well), I think it should be more lethal.

I think the damage, as traditionally measured, should be discarded entirely for a duel. When the duelist hit, the base result should be a automatic Serious Burden (with the equivalent reduction on the appropriate Resilience). If a duelist choose the "raise damage" option, instead of adding +1 damage, the level of the burden inflicted should be raised to the next level as well (so Serious to Grave, to Mortal, to death).

I'd like the players to REALLY sweat when they get into a duel, hehehe. Grin

Obviously, this suggestion is taking only into consideration my own limited perspective on the new mechanic.
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 11:45:46 PM »

This topic demonstrates why you Crafty-guys are awesome! Cheesy

About the mechanic, might I suggest something? While the duel as presented is awesome (specially with the option to cause social and psychological "damage" as well), I think it should be more lethal.

I think the damage, as traditionally measured, should be discarded entirely for a duel. When the duelist hit, the base result should be a automatic Serious Burden (with the equivalent reduction on the appropriate Resilience). If a duelist choose the "raise damage" option, instead of adding +1 damage, the level of the burden inflicted should be raised to the next level as well (so Serious to Grave, to Mortal, to death).

I'd like the players to REALLY sweat when they get into a duel, hehehe. Grin

Obviously, this suggestion is taking only into consideration my own limited perspective on the new mechanic.

Interesting idea, but the danger of making duels super-dangerous is 1) they become too hard on PCs, and 2) they become an easy shortcut around a tough character's Health (which sorta screws those who invest in it). A koloss-blooded *should* be harder to take down in a pistol duel than a 98 lb weakling - after all, that koloss-blooded's "thing" is being tough, and he/she should benefit from it.

I have gone back and added the mentioned caveat that if the loser is not Defeated or suffer a Grave or Mortal Burden from the attack, they may shoot back. This better rewards the winner for taking the best shot they get, and letting them do so without necessarily having to kill their target (remember, they become immune to duels for a while after this one ends). It also means, if you want to beat that tough guy, it's going to be exponentially harder to avoid reprisal, since you'll need to jack your damage bonus up to be at least half their Health in order to take 'em out. That's a lot of rolls to potentially lose - and that makes it a riskier proposition for everyone overall.

lord Claincy Ffnord
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 06:22:06 AM »

I meant to reply again sooner but I did want to say that I really like these rules. I thought the original rules were interesting and a good idea, but the changes make them a lot better Smiley
Herowannabe
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 06:18:38 PM »

Me too, I am excited to put these rules to good use. I still don't especially love that the winner knows beforehand whether or not his shot will hit and how much damage it will do, so when I use it I will tweak things so that there is still that element of the unknown. I'm thinking that when they win around, they can declare that they are beginning the draw. The next round they fire. I think I will also tweak it in that any bonuses you accumulate can be used for +1 damage OR +1D to your roll once you draw. That way you can sacrifice some potential damage for a more accurate shot, if you want.

mynameistopher
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 04:45:58 PM »

Pistol Duels

Sweet.
Gargoyle
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2014, 09:46:14 PM »

Now I just need to reverse engineer these into cane duelling rules. Grin
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print