Author Topic: Buying allomantic Gold in the Final Empire  (Read 830 times)

cometaryorbit

• Jr. Agent
    • View Profile
Buying allomantic Gold in the Final Empire
« on: August 17, 2014, 12:29:16 PM »
OK, maybe I'm missing something obvious, but on page 239 of the MAG, under "Implements", it lists the Resources difficulty for an Atium bead and for Misting and Mistborn vials for "Brass, Bronze, Copper, Iron, Pewter, Steel, Tin, and Zinc".

But what's the Resources cost for a Gold vial?

Woorloog

• Recruit
    • View Profile
Re: Buying allomantic Gold in the Final Empire
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 01:23:56 PM »
Presumably the same as for any other Misting Vial, though it could be more difficult for non-nobles?
Do remember gold is not that valuable in Scadrial, as it lacks practical use and it is nigh worthless for Mistborn too. Its rarity, and presumably beauty, give it some value, of course. But many nobles use wooden jewelry, so gold isn't that common for that purpose either.

Oh and in the first Mistborn book, Kelsier used gold from boxings for Gold Allomancy, so presumably the gold in boxings is pure enough. So, as long as you have access to boxings...

EDIT double-checking the rules, it is actually pretty clear: Any non-basic metal availability is at the GM's discretion.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 01:35:43 PM by Woorloog »

cometaryorbit

• Jr. Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 10:09:40 PM »
EDIT double-checking the rules, it is actually pretty clear: Any non-basic metal availability is at the GM's discretion.

Ah, thanks, OK.

Just seems odd to me that Resources difficulties are given for every (publicly-known-in-the-FE) metal but gold.

Kadrok

• Handler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 10:14:21 PM »
Gold is also missing from the metalmind options, from memory, yet the sample Feruchemist takes a Goldmind. It's pretty much just a blanket "nonbasic metals depend on the situation".

Also, the existence of Gold Mistings wasn't well known... or at least it was enough of a Secret that Elend and co. could be surprised by the existence nonbasic Mistings in the books.
Interesting discussion, but I think rule of cool could reasonably trump mere science in a game about magic powers.   :P

Crafty_Alex

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
  • Damned if I do, damned if I don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 03:51:47 PM »
The cost of Gold should be set by the default setting of your world - you can make any metal available in Allomancy and Feruchemy if you wish, but the "basic 8" physical and mentals are all automagically there. We leave the rest up to you as campaign decisions, based on how you want the world balanced for your story :)
"Alex doesn't feel anything. He's more word processor than man anymore." - Krensky

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games

cometaryorbit

• Jr. Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 06:30:03 PM »
The cost of Gold should be set by the default setting of your world - you can make any metal available in Allomancy and Feruchemy if you wish, but the "basic 8" physical and mentals are all automagically there. We leave the rest up to you as campaign decisions, based on how you want the world balanced for your story :)

Ah, thanks.

Also, the existence of Gold Mistings wasn't well known... or at least it was enough of a Secret that Elend and co. could be surprised by the existence nonbasic Mistings in the books.

True, but the usability of Gold by Mistborn was publicly known.