Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 10:02:36 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  Need GM practice [2.0 recruiting]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Poll
Question: What's yer poison?
Papa November [Military Survival Horror]   -2 (25%)
Metal Blank: The Gulch Chronicles [Gonzo Humorous Military]   -1 (12.5%)
Hyper Armored Police Force Go! [Cyberpunk...ish Police...ish Action]   -4 (50%)
Meanwhile, Back on Sigma 3 [Space Western]   -1 (12.5%)
Somebody Call an Exterminator? ["Live Action" Space Marine Military Sci-Fi]   -0 (0%)
Total Voters: 8

Author Topic: Need GM practice [2.0 recruiting]  (Read 962 times)
RusVal
Control

There are no ends. Only new beginnings.

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2012, 06:55:21 PM »

Apologies for those patiently waiting for me to finish Aurora Skies.  I am still working on it, and I will still keep puttering away at it.  However, I have learned two very important things:
1.) I might be overthinking how I'm stating things out.
2.) I desperately need more GM XP.  Tongue

So, I have decided to try again, this time with something simpler to get my feet wet before diving into the deep end again.  And since it worked so well recently, I too shall take a poll to see what setting people would like to play.

Below are some settings I have brainstormed recently.  Before you vote, some general information:
- I will be trying to play this with stock rules as much as possible, with only very minor modifications when I deem necessary.
- I only have very basic setting information, and will most likely be making stuff up as I go along.  Which is how I write anyway, so don't worry.
-Remember, "this is just a game, I should really just relax".

Papa November
Sierra Squared, Delta Squared.  The economy is in turmoil, the middle east is suffering yet another conflict, Mexico's drug war is entering yet another day...  way things are, it is actually a relief to bring relief to victims of natural disasters.  Everyone is actually happy to see you, no one is trying to shoot at you...

This most recent one has been really weird, though.  At first, it was pretty basic: earthquake hit a city.  While it wasn't very high on the Richter Scale, it did cause damage to a nearby chemical factory, so NBC gear all 'round.  Thing is, riots have been reported a bit too early, and they seem to not be dying down.
Your base CO has sounded a General Alert readiness level, which means full battle ruck, which is making the evacuees a bit nervous.

You do what you are told, though, and just trust the Brass at least know what they're doing.

So, ya' know, take an extra magazine.

Metal Blank: The Gulch Chronicles
Orange has always fought the Teal, and the Teal has always fought the Orange, except when they fought the Tan, or that time they fought the Cobalt, but of course only those times when Tan and Cobalt weren't at each other's throats anyway.

Of course, while all of this is happening, White's trying desperately to evacuate the NPCs that inevitably get caught up in the constant warfare, with varying success.  Then again, it would help if Red wasn't trying to kill everybody using despicable means, and the Grey wasn't mysteriously being... mysterious.
And all the while, the Black are in the background, pulling on various strings, thinking that string somehow let's them control how people act, and when that doesn't work, shooting people, which works a bit more.

And then there's Purple.  No one likes Purple, probably because Purple is made of zombies.

Just another day in the Gulch.

Hyper Armored Police Force GO!!
The HyperCity is in bad shape.  Crime and Corruption (with a capitol "C") run rampant.  Thugs and crooks terrorize the local populace, not helped from the lax gun laws, which allow them to buy the latest in last year's military technology.
Having GeneWizTek randomly doing illegal genetic engineering isn't helping matters any, though it is kind of cool being an elf or an orc.

So what does the mayor do?  Militarize the police force, of course!  Suddenly the sign saying "Speed limit enforced by aircraft" is taken a bit more seriously!  And Crooks trying to block your way with semi-trucks are rudely surprised when you just plow through with a Heavy Battle Tank.
Of course, with all this advanced military machinery, can you blame a few officers for being a bit... trigger happy.  Hey, that building probably caused someone to fall down the stairs, it deserved whatever it got!

Ah, Law and Order, it's so much fun when it is in HIGH CALIBER.

Meanwhile, Back on Sigma 3
[Um, I'm actually going to be playing this setting close to the vest.  Just know that it is very Space Westernaly.]

Somebody Call an Exterminator?
So you've been hired to act in a new science-fiction movie.  Something about fighting evil alien something or others from outer space, or something.

So far it's been an interesting experience, what with the overly enthusiastic director who only partially seems to know what he's doing, the script that seems awfully familiar, and a props department that seems to be ad-hocking whatever they can from a limited budget (not to mention all the padded bras and tight outfits for the lady actors).

Despite that, everyone seems to love what they are doing, and it's kind of hard not to get caught up in the enthusiasm of the moment whenever the director is explaining the scene for everyone, or look in awe at the skill of the special effects department.

Who knows?  Maybe the finished product will be a sleeper hit?

"Why don't you wear a helmet?  I feel anonymous and disposable..." -VGCats

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 08:42:51 AM »

Speaking from my own recent experience of contemplating running 2 PBP games at once, are you sure it's wise to try and start a second game when you're having difficulty keeping the first one moving?

Is there an intermediate step that would help you get more experience running through problem-areas without requiring a full new game startup?
Are there specific things you'd like to get practice running without having to do a full-blown new setting/new character creation/other campaign overhead?

I'd be more than happy to be a player / sounding board / guinea pig if you wanted to do some kind of limited-scope "GM Lab" test run of specific problem areas or scenarios you have questions about.

How can we help you simplify things?
Gentry