Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 21, 2014, 07:14:23 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Star Trek Space Combat [complete!]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek Space Combat [complete!]  (Read 1843 times)
ahzad
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 05:08:31 PM »

now that i've had a chance to look over it more closely I really like it a lot. i really don't see anything wrong with it. it models the game extremely well. i like how you had the various weapon types carry over their special qualities. any plans on doing up the klingon's so we can dogfight it out with some test combats?

the only quibbles i would have are that you should be able to 'shoot down' plasma torps like you can the tricobolt, and there's seems to be missing a fire at will command, or even some of the science actions to regen an ally's shield. Any plans on that stuff?

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - A. Einstein
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2012, 10:11:48 PM »

Impulse Speed: Base Speed in km per standard movement action.

Engines: This system attribute provides a bonus or penalty to all actions taken by the Helm duty officer; additionally, you increase or decrease your Impulse speed by (Engine modifier) km.

All vessels can move up to 10 km (10 squares) as part of a standard movement action.

AHEAD, HALF IMPULSE
1 Half Action Movement Action
The vessel moves up to 10 km in a straight line, in the direction it is facing (with turns limited by Inertia). This is a standard movement action.

AHEAD, FULL IMPULSE
1 Full Action Movement Action
The vessel moves up to 20 kilometers in a straight line, in the direction it is facing (with turns limited by Inertia). Until its next action, its Inertia is doubled and all of its system attributes apart from Engines are reduced to 5.

Note: I have never played Star Trek Online.  My mind is too polluted by Star Fleet Battles to be of much use for anything else.

Since there is not an Impulse speed listed in the ship section, I think that first line is a leftover from an earlier set.

Also, the engines modifier is a flat add to the ships movement each turn?  i.e. Engines of 3 gives you a 13 half action move?

The tactical station seems to have a lot more options than the others and some of the assignments seem a bit weird.  Is there a reason for that?  Maybe it's just more Next Generation than Original Series.  Nothing wrong with that, of course.

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 01:39:20 AM »

This is good work. Now if someone else more creative than I could work up equivalent Trek rules for the personal scale side of Star Trek I could run that Mastercraft Prime Directive game that's been tickling at the back of my brain with no escape in sight!

...I am.  Roll Eyes

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 07:06:18 AM »

now that i've had a chance to look over it more closely I really like it a lot. i really don't see anything wrong with it. it models the game extremely well. i like how you had the various weapon types carry over their special qualities. any plans on doing up the klingon's so we can dogfight it out with some test combats?

the only quibbles i would have are that you should be able to 'shoot down' plasma torps like you can the tricobolt, and there's seems to be missing a fire at will command, or even some of the science actions to regen an ally's shield. Any plans on that stuff?

KDF ships are a possibility. I can add them later if you like. As for the 'Fire at Will' command, that's a Command duty station trick, where the Command duty officer can give up his actions to the Tactical duty officer.

The science stuff is all under advanced tricks, since thier descriptions seem to indicate that rather than being standard practise, they require a little creativity and initiative.

Plasma torps have been modded to add the travel time.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 07:14:39 AM by glimmerrat » Logged

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 07:08:41 AM »

Impulse Speed: Base Speed in km per standard movement action.

Since there is not an Impulse speed listed in the ship section, I think that first line is a leftover from an earlier set.

Also, the engines modifier is a flat add to the ships movement each turn?  i.e. Engines of 3 gives you a 13 half action move?

The tactical station seems to have a lot more options than the others and some of the assignments seem a bit weird.  Is there a reason for that?  Maybe it's just more Next Generation than Original Series.  Nothing wrong with that, of course.

You're spot on with that earlier iteration of the rules. I deleted that.

The tactical station deals in combat, so they tend to get the lion's share of combat actions. That said, the other stations have more special tricks, whereas the tactical station has very few. I should post them up.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 07:14:00 AM by glimmerrat » Logged

XerxenK
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 07:24:50 AM »

This is good work. Now if someone else more creative than I could work up equivalent Trek rules for the personal scale side of Star Trek I could run that Mastercraft Prime Directive game that's been tickling at the back of my brain with no escape in sight!

...I am.  Roll Eyes
Fantastic! I've been really wanting to run a Prime Directive game ever since I picked up the D20 modern version of the rules on the cheap. I loved the concept behind the game, PCs as members of a Prime Team, but really wanted to try and run it using the mastercraft rules instead. Now my absolute crap ability at rules crafting is no longer holding me back from making that happen. Thanks.

"In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus Rex" - The Scary Door
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 11:33:35 AM »

The PC game Voyager: Elite Force was pretty cool. I think the MMO adapted the concept as Omega Force.

Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2012, 12:56:27 PM »

Warp Factors are indeed exponential. But, it differs per series and per episode and all ships travel at the speed of plot in the shows. You get one show where it says it takes a month to travel from one world to another, and the week after that they do it in a day.
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 04:44:15 AM »

So Warp speed is abridged for the sake of convenience.

Gentry