Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 27, 2014, 03:53:57 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [FC] Glint of Madness, what's next ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [FC] Glint of Madness, what's next ?  (Read 1171 times)
Elvith Gent
Recruit

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2012, 05:03:10 AM »

Hello,

First of all, I'm French so please forgive me about the few language mistakes which are certainly coming.  Roll Eyes

One of my players plays a Priest and wants to be the Style guy. He's level 8 and has already completed the Comely/Elegant/Enchanting tree, and now he would like to emphasize on Threatening. He already has Glint of Madness but asked me if I could create two more feats to enhance the first one; a Threatening tree, merely.

That's why I'm registering here (even if I have read a lot on this forums during the last months)! I have some ideas, but I'm not really sure if they are balanced.

Staring of Madness
Pure madness can be seen in your eyes.
Prerequisites: Glint of Madness
Benefit: You may Threaten up to 3 opponents at once. You only roll once for the action while each opponent rolls to resist separately.

Aura of Madness
Entire cities have kneeled before you.
Prerequisites: Staring of Madness
Benefit: You may Threaten up to 5 opponents at once. You only roll once for the action while each opponent rolls to resist separately. You also gain a trick.
Look at me! (Threaten Trick): If your target suffer any damage, he is also stunned for 1 round.

What do you think of it ?
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 07:52:11 AM »

Greetings and welcome!

I've got some mixed news for you -- your idea is so good that the Crafty folks have had similar ideas.

The first feet (Staring of Madness -- should *probably* be Stare of Madness) duplicates the first half of the AGGRO BASICS feat (in http://www.crafty-games.com/node/1029 -- personally, I'd buy this class-pack pdf just for the AGGRO BASICS / MASTERY / SUPREMACY feat chain, but the Bloodsworn is a very cool expert class)
Available here: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/79862/Call-to-Arms%3A-Bloodsworn

So holding aside that you should definitely check out the Aggro feat chain, your Look at Me! trick probably needs some tightening up.

Look at me! (Threaten Trick): If your target suffer any damage, he is also stunned for 1 round.
As I read Stress Damage, a Critical that inflicts stress damage already stuns the for 1 round (if the Will save succeeds), or for 1d6 rounds (if failed).

Perhaps something like:
I Said Look at Me! (Threaten Trick): With a successful Threaten action, if your Intimidate check exceeds your opponent’s Resolve check by 4 or more, you inflict your stress damage one additional time (rolling damage separately for each).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 10:57:45 AM by LordKruelos » Logged
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 10:27:19 AM »

(Staring of Madness -- should *probably* be Stare of Madness)
I like the current name: has a nice Lovecraft vibe to it.
Elvith Gent
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 11:18:29 AM »

I have to recognize that I thought first it should be "stare" but a quick googling seemed to indicate that "staring" was better. ^^

LordKruelos, I have the Adventure Companion so I know the Aggro tree. But my Priest is not interested in Taunt for the moment, he really wants to Threaten. So it's not exactly the same, even if I could simply duplicate the feats… But I think that the feat following Glint of Madness should be better than Aggro basics… But at least it shows that my feats are underpowered Wink
Also, I want my feats to be Style feats whereas the Aggro feats are Basic Combat feats. So I don't expect the exact same flavor.

For the trick, I think your idea is indeed better ! Thanks  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:23:42 AM by Elvith Gent » Logged
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 11:23:36 AM »

But my Priest is not interested in Taunt for the moment, he really wants to Threaten. So it's not exactly the same, even if I could simply duplicate the feats… But I think that the feat following Glint of Madness should be better than Aggro basics… But at least it shows that my feats are underpowered Wink

For the trick, I think your idea is indeed better ! Thanks  Smiley

Wow, I did not drink enough coffee this morning. I completely goofed there and read Taunt for Threaten. My mistake.
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 01:47:01 PM »

How about:

Staring of Madness
Prerequisite: Glint of Madness
Benefit: You may threaten up to 3 opponents with a single roll, each rolling separately to resist.  Also you gain a trick:
Routing Stare (Threaten trick): You may give up the standard result to instead cause your target(s) to become frightened of you for 1d6 rounds.

Aura of Madness
Prerequisite: Staring of Madness
Benefit: When an opponent you've successfully threatened dies, you gain one Edge.  You also gain a trick:
Raaargh! (Threaten trick): You may spend 5 Edge to threaten all opponents within 30'.  You roll once and each opponent rolls separately.

If you have a non-death effect for failing a damage save due to stress, that should count for purposes of gaining Edge.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 02:01:08 PM »

That seems to be treading on the Lionheart chain, and it duplicates a Origin ability, which leaves those who get it from that sorta boned on the middle feat.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Elvith Gent
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 03:24:10 PM »

How about:

Staring of Madness
Prerequisite: Glint of Madness
Benefit: You may threaten up to 3 opponents with a single roll, each rolling separately to resist.  Also you gain a trick:
Routing Stare (Threaten trick): You may give up the standard result to instead cause your target(s) to become frightened of you for 1d6 rounds.

Aura of Madness
Prerequisite: Staring of Madness
Benefit: When an opponent you've successfully threatened dies, you gain one Edge.  You also gain a trick:
Raaargh! (Threaten trick): You may spend 5 Edge to threaten all opponents within 30'.  You roll once and each opponent rolls separately.

If you have a non-death effect for failing a damage save due to stress, that should count for purposes of gaining Edge.

I think that's really good compared to what my player expects! And I like it a lot, also, especially the Edge stuff Wink

Krensky: is it really a problem that it duplicates an Origin ability ? I think we can just add "If you can already Threaten more than 1 opponent with a single check, you can threaten 3 opponents more."
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 05:51:56 PM »

I think that's really good compared to what my player expects! And I like it a lot, also, especially the Edge stuff Wink

Krensky: is it really a problem that it duplicates an Origin ability ? I think we can just add "If you can already Threaten more than 1 opponent with a single check, you can threaten 3 opponents more."

Thanks.  Duplicating an Origin ability isn't a big deal.  There have been feats that granted Menacing Threat and in any case the equivalent Taunt is in Aggro Basics.  Routing Stare is Beguiling renamed and changed to work with Threaten. 
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 07:01:08 PM »

Not Krensky (obviously), but the balanced thing to do here would be treat it like Thick Hide - so if you get 3 instances of Menacing Threat (Species + Draconic Heritage + Staring of Madness) you can threaten a total of 5 people, not 9.  That way you still get some benefit from the ability but it doesn't become silly.

Also, let me join Kruelos in welcoming you to the forum.
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 07:12:46 PM »

That's the way the ability is written on the wiki under species/specialty creation since Morgenstern updated those pages.
pawsplay