Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2014, 03:25:08 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Haruchai
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Haruchai  (Read 2945 times)
Golden Dragon
Handler

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2007, 10:53:19 AM »

I've been reading Stephen Donaldson's most recent novel (Fatal Revenant) and am reminded of one of my favorite races (cultures) the Haruchai. They were an obvious inspiration for Monte Cook's Oathsworn. Will Fantasy Craft have tools to emulate them? Are they better covered by a class or by origins and feats?

Gregory the Golden Dragon
-I'm a child progeny.
-Most children are.
      Calvin & Hobbes
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 03:09:55 PM »

Playble giants have come up although their final involvement is not set in stone yet. I've also been experimenting with Jottuns in relation to doing a Norse-based Origin of the Species, so It seems likely at some point. A definite answer will have to wait until we are deeper into setting design.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Forcegypsy
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 10:58:57 AM »

MMmmm. Covenant. Pure One. Haruchai. Nom. Ranyhyn. Cords. Bloodguard. Ravers.

Sorry, any mention of Donaldson's Chronicles of TC sends my memory soaring back to when I first read these books. He had more effect on what I enjoy in my Fantasy reading than Tolkien. How are you finding Fatal Revenant?

Cha togar m' fhearg gun džoladh.
Golden Dragon
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 11:26:39 AM »

I am currently about page 450 (of c. 590) and am now into it. It had been too long since the prior book had come out, and I'd forgotten most of it. It took me some time to get into the current book and remember who all the characters are. (I guess I shouldn't have skipped the intro.) With two characters named Linden and Liand, it takes work to get them straight and keep them straight.

I must be getting old, because I was becoming impatient for the conclusion of the first part of the book. The second part is going much better.

I still prefer Tolkien over Donaldson, but the latter can still be interesting. After a while, I get tired of all the high-powered characters floating around. Elohim, Insequent, (yawn). I like the Haruchai, men whose will brings them a special magic. But then I like Batman over Superman.  Cheesy

I don't know what else to say without giving away too many details.

Gregory the Golden Dragon
-I'm a child progeny.
-Most children are.
      Calvin & Hobbes
Forcegypsy
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 11:23:52 PM »

Nah, that's good enough. I'm reading it regardless, I just wanted to get a sense of it from a current reader. I'm picking it up tomorrow.

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 02:32:27 AM »

Playable giants made the cut and should be going in. It's been a long time since I read the chronicles. Other than being fireproof, walk me through their distintive qualities and maybe you'll see something familiar in the subrace feats Smiley.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Forcegypsy
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 05:49:44 AM »

Well, I'm halfway through Fatal Revenant and I have to say that the majesty of the Land is much diminished. The characters other than Linden seem to be faint brush-strokes without the vitality I remember from the previous series. The sense of wonder is muted, and knowing Donaldson, he's doing it on purpose Sad bastard Tongue. You cannot read these books without having read the original series (I mean you can, but it really wouldn't be worth it).

Concerning giants. The Giants of the Land are magnificent; in vitality, joy, body, will, and in their extremity, rage. They are a long-lived race (not especially fecund, having very few children) and have much natural lore. They are the builders of Revelstone, the hearth and fortress from which the Lords defend the Land from it's enemies.

The Giants are merchant mariners, plying the Ocean on their great ships seeking knowledge and wonder. They are explorers without peer. To aid them in this, they have the racial gift of tongues and a society that cherishes storytelling, especially long epics. One of the most uplifting sounds in the Land is the laughter of a Giant.

An adult Giant is literally indomitable. Unless they choose to, they cannot be suborned, not by Ravers, not even by the Despiser himself. They are not harmed physically by heat or cold, although they can feel pain if subjected to extremes of either. They have a ritual that uses the pain caused by fire to purify their spirits of abject sorrow, hate, etc.

Giants have many natural gifts of body and mind, but I suspect they do not use magic of any kind.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: