Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 26, 2014, 03:05:44 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft Third Edition
| | |-+  Having It All or: Not Hijacking the Priorities Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Having It All or: Not Hijacking the Priorities Thread  (Read 1342 times)
tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 12:22:07 AM »

Just thinking out loud though.  I'm also not knocking your idea tfwfh - I think every idea is equally valid and all need consideration.  I just think that, largely, a rifle is a rifle and a handgun is a handgun (with just a small handful of notable exceptions).

I mostly agree and if I'd been the one designing the gear charts they would look that way.  Gun damage would start high and stay pretty flat from there, and almost every gun would have been caliber II, almost every melee weapon would be caliber I, and there would be only a handful of exceptions for very advanced weapons (OICW, for instance).  But that's not the case, and certain weapons are clearly better than others.  And that's not even considering vehicles, where the situation just becomes ridiculous.  Space shuttles and aircraft carriers ridiculous.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 02:26:37 AM »

If you want to restrict stuff, just give it a minimum Renown rating before folks can requisition it from the quartermaster / swing the contacts to own it outright (which kinda brings us back to d20Modern's DC-based gear system)

Personally I don't know anyone who ever held picks back in reserve: they wanted it all front loaded. To that end, I see mid-mission supply drops as being the realm of action dice / narrative control options, not the provence of the gear system

tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 03:14:17 AM »

Actually, thinking on it some more, I think maybe the gear system as it currently exists is closer to what you want than you might think.  If what you're looking for is letting the characters have some small number of "things" without regard to what the "things" are or how they compare to other "things", then maybe what you want is to just use the current system but ignore gear calibers.  That way a character gets ~2 items from their charisma, and 0-16 or so items in specific categories from their class, depending on specific class and level, and maybe some personal possessions in addition to that.  And that's it.  If you also want to make up some bundle items in addition to the individual gear that already exists and have the bundles cost more than 1 pick, that could speed up the process of getting gear.  You would just have to make sure that the bundles are obviously better than any single item, otherwise players will agonize over whether the bundle is worth it.

If you're so inclined, you could also say that items of a certain caliber cost 2 picks, or from certain categories, like tactical weapons.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 01:28:49 AM »

Sorry for the late reply, I actually managed to sleep for more then ~2 hours for the first time this year (which negated 6 hours that I would have otherwise been productive). 

@tfwfh (1st post): That kinda stuff (aircraft carriers, space shuttles and even jets) really have no place in the players hands on most missions.  If the players go "Ok, infiltrating a penthouse, we'll need an F-111" and the GM goes "Sure, it's a Cal 4 Mission and you have a Wheelman" then whatever happens is really his own fault.

@Mr A: Reserve picks in the current rules are complete shit.  Costs a high number of action dice in addition to an extremely difficult (effectively impossible for Cal 4/5) check.  Oh, and if you fail - those dice are wasted.  I can't see why anyone would choose to use them if they didn't have to - even an ability that let you make them without spending dice is fairly useless due to the extreme difficulty of the check (you fail and you've either wasted that gear pick or need to waste some action dice).  So they need to be fixed.

I like your suggestion of using Renown to access certain items.  You could even just skip straight to making certain things prizes - if anything should be restricted to a prize it's an aircraft carrior or space shuttle (among other high end gear).

@tfwfh (2nd post): The problem with that is it doesn't balance any piece of gear against any other (not to mention the problems with anything with a PR), and far more then doubles choice (which is at the crux of the problem, really).  It's also not about bundles being "better" then a single option - it's about players being able to see all the things they need in one place and being done in 5 minutes (instead of 50 without assistance).

I have actually made a fair bit of progress with how I'd like to structure this, but I need to have a brainstorm with my group  - if my next game is best served by being run with GURPS I'll be dumping this idea (since SC3 will be out before I use this system next and will have a new gear system).
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 03:39:13 AM »

Reserve picks in the current rules are complete shit.  Costs a high number of action dice in addition to an extremely difficult (effectively impossible for Cal 4/5) check.  Oh, and if you fail - those dice are wasted.  I can't see why anyone would choose to use them if they didn't have to - even an ability that let you make them without spending dice is fairly useless due to the extreme difficulty of the check (you fail and you've either wasted that gear pick or need to waste some action dice).  So they need to be fixed.

That was rather my point: do away with the need for the check, spending the AD should automatically get you the supply drop as an exercise in narrative control.

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 04:05:42 AM »

Gotcha.  I'd argue it one step even further - if you reserve one of your picks, you just automatically get it later (ignoring GM inserted complications).  AD should be for things above and beyond the standard play (in this example - gear beyond what you would normally get).
CafeCyberia
Recruit

Timeline suboptimal. Abort/Retry/Fail?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2012, 09:50:06 AM »

Y'know, I might just grab that as a house rule.

Or at the very least, add some multiple of the current mission's calibre to request checks (which I think Sletch has mentioned before) and deep-six the AD requirement and loss of gear pick if failed.

Me: I had implicitly assumed the coarse neural adjustment is prerecorded and installed with the prosthetic, giving adequate gross control, but fine control takes time(this is awesome justification, for GURPS, to charge points)
Sletch: That's a bloody genius bit of meta explanation
- on cybernetics
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: