Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 03:02:44 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft 2.0
| | |-+  SC 2.0 Cyberpunk?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SC 2.0 Cyberpunk?  (Read 5152 times)
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 01:17:57 AM »

Because almost all the refrences you've made are post-cyberpunk.

GitS, Dollhouse, Total Recall 2070 (god that show was good), Hardwired (aka I, Robot; no relation to William's seminal novel). All post-cyberpunk.

The storng presence of biotech is a marker, too.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 04:57:18 AM »

None of those are what I'd call "core setting inspiration".  There's elements I like but that's it.  The problem is there are almost no "real" Cyberpunk films or TV shows.  So I'm watching stuff that I'm enjoying that are full of cyberpunk themes.

It certainly doesn't hurt that Total Recal 2070 is one of the very few Philip K Dick adaptations that doesn't suck, and was well worth watching anyway.  Hardwired was terrible, but Cuba Gooding Jr is pretty mediocre anyway, so I expected as much.  You'll also note that my post on Biotech can be sumarised as "an excuse for not having Biotech" - not what I'd call a strong presence.

Can't speak for Catadon, of course (though he did mention R. Talsorian's Cyberpunk, which is very much "Cyberpunk").
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 07:10:52 AM »

Speaking of Cyberpunk.  Quick request to my fellow forumites:
I'm looking for a large city that has high levels of industrial (manufacturing in particular) real estate that is also a port city.  Bonus points for it not being known as a really desirable place to live (low crime, low polution, low unemployment, being "green" - all bad for this particular exercise).

Example:  Detroit is a great example of what I'm looking at industrially - GM, Chrysler and Ford all have a strong presence, as well as several tech firms having manufacturing and development sites in the greater city area.  It's not a port city though, and I have no idea what it's crime, polution or unemployment rates are (didn't research it - I really want a port / beachside city that also has heavy manufacturing sites).
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 07:27:06 AM »

Yeh, I'm post-cyberpunk and mostly used the c word to quickly get people into the kinda time period I wanted to ask about as a possibility (or not) in Spycraft. Other inspiration I'd recent near to midling futures like Kim Stanely Robinson's Mars trilogy and the lesser known Wheelers.

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 07:56:55 AM »

Speaking of Cyberpunk.  Quick request to my fellow forumites:
I'm looking for a large city that has high levels of industrial (manufacturing in particular) real estate that is also a port city.  Bonus points for it not being known as a really desirable place to live (low crime, low polution, low unemployment, being "green" - all bad for this particular exercise).

Example:  Detroit is a great example of what I'm looking at industrially - GM, Chrysler and Ford all have a strong presence, as well as several tech firms having manufacturing and development sites in the greater city area.  It's not a port city though, and I have no idea what it's crime, polution or unemployment rates are (didn't research it - I really want a port / beachside city that also has heavy manufacturing sites).
Los Angeles seems like the obvious choice.  They have a huge manufacturing center, home to the busiest port in the western hemisphere, and crime, pollution, and unemployment are all serious problems.

If you want something else, Philadelphia has a substantial chemical and pharmaceutical industry, but less direct manufacturing.  Still a major port, pollution is bad, unemployment is bad, and crime is worse than average.

And if you still want another option, then New Orleans.  The oil industry has a major presence, and it's still not entirely recovered from hurricane katrina.  Crime is quite bad, but I'm not sure about pollution or employment levels.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 08:33:10 AM »

Baltimore is another one.  I was told "there aren't enough people with jobs for a rush hour," and it has some nasty and persistent crime issues.  "The Wire" was set there.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 10:23:13 AM »

Actually the Phoenix area, despite all our sun, has enough problems to qualify too. We have an enormous number of tech companies in Phoenix and Scottsdale. We are still recovering from the housing bust in 2007, have high unemployment, and actually lead the nation in several criminal stats. Regrettably, we are number one in the country for auto theft, identity theft, kidnapping, drug trafficking, and human trafficking (damn coyotes). We may not have waterborne access but we sit on the fuel pipeline, are a trucking hub, and have lots of people willing to protect what they have guns.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 03:01:29 PM »

Nup, can't think of anywhere in Australia.

(cheque from immigration is in the mail)

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2012, 02:47:47 AM »

Cheers for the assist guys.  I loved the Wire, so I don't know why I didn't think of Baltimore.  Gives me a nice little shortlist for USA: LA, Baltimore, Philadephia and New Orleans are all good.  Phoenix sounds great, but a few plot ideas I'm turning over in my head are about the docks and organised crime, so if I go with them it's less useful for that.  I'm adding those to my global shortlist that includes a few Japanese locations as well as Shanghai and Hong Kong (and I'm also considering something a bit akin to Kowloon Walled City) for locations.

Much appreciated.

Nup, can't think of anywhere in Australia.

(cheque from immigration is in the mail)

Heh.  The beauty about Australia is that almost all our state capital cities check the first two boxes automatically.  Except Canberra, they all have good port facilities and most have strong industrial sites.  I just haven't figured out what I'm doing Australia - I know one of my players was backing Tolliver's Disease (GURPS: Cyberworld), or something like it.
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2012, 02:56:34 AM »

I used to run an extensive Cyberpunk campaign based in Phoenix. I had an ongoing global crime war happening as part of the backdrop and Phoenix was one of the points of contention between the Mexican Mafia and the Colombian Syndicate. Imagine if the Yakuza showed up in Hong Kong and started a street war with the Triads and you'll get some idea of what was happening.

I give you a quote from the film from Black Rain:

"You could get me killed, Detective. ... See, there's a war going on here and they don't take prisoners."
"Who knows about this?"
"Counting you and me? ... 11 million."

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 03:13:11 AM »

That sounds awesome.  I should be mad at you for now making me spend my evening considering how changing some of the plot points directly related to the ships to trucks changes things overall, but that idea is extremely cool.  Perhaps I should just take it directly - the Yakuza show up on Triad turf and start a war (or vice versa) - it actually works pretty well with my KWS location idea (because somewhere like that being neither Japanese nor Chinese makes that kind of event actually pretty realistic).  Now I gotta rewatch Black Rain tonight.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 08:19:38 AM »

I wouldn't place Philly anywhere near the level of LA or Detroit or New Orleans.

Our unemplyment is slightly higher then average, which leads to slightly higher crime rates. Polution is typical for a city of it's age. Certainly it's nothing like what you find in the Gulf coast oil cities.

We're also full of museums, historic sights, universities, excellent resturants, night clubs, more sports teams then I can count, etc.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2012, 08:47:50 AM »

From what I could find with a few minute's research, Philly's violent crime rates are somewhat higher than LAs.  Granted, that didn't involve any detailed analysis; I was just comparing recent homicide rates, cuz they're easy to find, and I ignored reporting methods and other stuff.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2012, 09:43:37 AM »

I wouldn't place Philly anywhere near the level of LA or Detroit or New Orleans.

Our unemplyment is slightly higher then average, which leads to slightly higher crime rates. Polution is typical for a city of it's age. Certainly it's nothing like what you find in the Gulf coast oil cities.

We're also full of museums, historic sights, universities, excellent resturants, night clubs, more sports teams then I can count, etc.

Fair enough.  If I go American I am liking LA for the main location (though with a not insubstantial population density bump, perhaps).  I was thinking Philly might be a good location for some emerging pharmaceutical developments (given the companies who have boots on the ground).  Not center stage for my game, but certainly a place of interest for certain parties (because I think for this style of game having most of the game take place in a single city and allowing the city itself to be a sort of additional character is too big a benefit to pass by - which is why I'm looking for the "perfect" place).
Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 03:26:13 PM »

If ship plots can be changed to trucks, may I suggest Memphis? Trucks, trains, and River traffic all converge there.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: