Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2014, 06:02:23 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft 2.0
| | |-+  SC 2.0 Cyberpunk?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SC 2.0 Cyberpunk?  (Read 5339 times)
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« on: May 19, 2012, 05:41:00 AM »

So just been re-watching the Ghost in the Shell movies as prep for seeing the series (no spoliers please!). This got me all nostalgic for R.Talsorian's Cyberpunk.
So if I wanted to make a setting in SC2.0 that was near future drawing inspiration from Ghost in the Shell, W. Gibson, the iRobot movie, etc. could SC2.0 plus some of it's suppliments do that?

What if I wanted to include biological technologies? (The core rules for biotech are decades out of date,  but is there something in the suppliments?)

(I'm here on Crafty for Fantasy Craft and have almost no idea about spycraft.)

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 06:17:48 AM »

Short Answer: Yes.

Longer Answer: Depending on how you want to balance the game out (and which effects you like - I for one hate the cyber threshold rules that are in almost every system (cyberpsychosis, essence)) there will be a few things you will have to write / improvise.  The most common solution is to add a "chrome" stat to the wealth rules, which means that players will have a certain amount of gear they can put into their bodies "for free".

The gadget rules are kind of akin to the prize rules, in that you can have them in whatever "housing" you want (your right hand can contain a concealed small caliber pistol, or your eye can contain a miniature videocamera).  I would also crib the prize rules for things like prototypes - for example: A prototype nanite hive that increases protein synthesis and blood cell count is a prize that increases Strength and lets you drop Fatigued once a scene.

Biotech is a little harder - anything printed goes out of date pretty rapidly, so a lot will have to be improvised (at least, if I am recalling correctly, you have a Biotech background which will make this bit easier for you).  So if you're not afraid to do some improv, you should be perfectly fine.

There's a handful of threads on the forums of peoples work, even without access to 2.0 it should make plenty of sense to you with your FC experience.  Check out:  Jtraub's Cybercraft 2.0, A Cyborg Expert Class, A Cyborg Talent, and Some Campaign Qualities from FishXXIII.

Bonus Question:  Where you looking at putting a game together soon?  I'm working on a Cyberpunk setting (watched the 2 Ghost in the Shell films in prep for the series a couple days ago myself (hadn't seen them previously either), as well as Dollhouse, Total Recall 2070 and rereading some of my favourite CP books - Neuromancer being a big one).  I haven't decided which system I'm going to use, since I'm currently focused on world building (and then will work out which system has the mechanics that suit the setting best) - but it'll be either Spycraft or GURPS.  If the former I will happily share any of my work if you're interested.

Hope that helps.  The hardest thing about Spycraft seems to be getting the books (if you don't want a digital copy) - the guy who runs my FLGS said all his suppliers couldn't get copies for him (he was trying to sell it instead of d20 Modern).
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 12:59:14 PM »

You should still be able to get RTal's Cyberpunk stuff on the net somewhere.

If you can find it you should check out a B-film called Nemesis that came out in 1992. Amongst its cast is Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, the awesome Tim Thomerson, the late Brion James (who also played Leon in Bladerunner), and unknown actor playing the character of Billy Moon (it's Thomas Jane). The special effects are not the greatest but the story and some elements of it are very well done.

Here's the trailer: http://youtu.be/0r4kgB19uC4

Living Spycraft Masterm
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 05:24:56 PM »

I must have missed Nemesis back in the day.  It would have been right up my alley.  May have to track that one down.

Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 12:07:15 AM »

For what it is, it ain't bad. Some of the performances and the CGI are shoddy but overall an interesting idea and they got a good supporting cast to put around newbie action-er Olivier Gruner.

Living Spycraft Masterm
tracker7
Mastermind
Operative

Do it to Julia.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 07:32:43 AM »

I ran a True20 cyberpunk game a few years ago using the Interface Zero rules and setting from ... Reality Deviants, I think, now going by Gun Metal Games. It worked really well for my group, and if I remember correctly, used a feat-creates-points system for cybernetic/biotech/other upgrades.

Catodon, if you don't mind me asking, what's your field of work/study? I'm starting an epidemiology degree, and am always interested in talking a little shop.

The above may be conjecture, deliberate paraphrase, or outright bullshit.

I'd tell an ebola joke here, BUT YOU WON'T GET IT.
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 03:28:02 PM »

Well that was a good response.
Ok so there are some pretty easy house-rule fixes to use for cyber-implants.
For the record I think mature biotech is more likely than a cyberpunk future. I work in the same building as the bionic eye and my partner worked for them for a while, we can do it but the electronics/cell interface is tricky so for the next few decades bionic eyes are only going to give VERY poor vision. Meanwhile tissue engineering and cell therapy are advancing at an ever increasing rate.

For those who have no biology background biotech could in a poorly regulated unethical future given humans abilities found in other organisms and then some. Some of the species feats from Fantasy Craft might be adapted as a quick fix.

Sletchman I have run a number of GURPS near future games and generated a lot of material. PM me if you want a few thousand words. This time I was thinking of making the game more action/cinematic. My pre. GURPS and R. Tal. Efforts were very gritty/simulationist/deadly. GURPS has the advantage of a very good tech level system and if you use 3rd edition Vehicles and Robots enables you to build the technology of your world to match a vision. Once I played a genetically engineered raven who had his own sports car VTOL. Be aware Robots has one really broken rule in it but take out that one sentence and its very balanced.

I have a nice collection of the R. Tal stuff, I started playing back in the black box days and never sold the stuff.

I remember Nemisis

Talk shop? Sure PM me, just be aware you may have trouble shutting me up. I have a Biotechnology Batchelors, a Honours degree in Biomedical Science (molecular parasitology, protozoans), and a Master of Philosophy in Medical Sciences (by research, chromatin and epigenetics during vertebrate gastrulation). My masters thesis is online just google me “Karl David Brown” (use the “  ”). Currently, I work in tissue engineering and cell therapy for the cornea. After a few years my employers urged me to take the plunge for a PhD. since I was doing a post-doc's job anyways.

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »

For the record I think mature biotech is more likely than a cyberpunk future.

100% Agreed.  Even simpler things then eyes (like limbs) will work better as a vat-grown option for a pretty long time.  My in-world justification is price and morality.  Due to religious fundamentalists having a concerning degree of sway over many politicians the biotech maturation came slower and each piece costs more (in addition to it's "custom grown" status - a byproduct of less funding and higher restrictions is the lack of generic implants).  Chrome is cheap, and can be mass produced (and in setting was original developed mostly for injured military and police personnel - military research spending that translated into civilian sector).  Chrome is also popular for it's expansion factor - implanted recorders, computers, cell phones, air filtration systems and so on means that it can do what (in setting) biological components can't.  It's also harder to directly regulate - advancements in computers or nano-electronics mean that augmentations advance in parallel.

It's a little hand-wavey, but it allows me to run the kind of setting that I want to run with relative ease.  Plus, like you, I'm looking at a pretty action/cinematic game, as well as a quicker and more simplified game (at the table) then GURPS typically produces (which means I'm eyeing off Spycraft pretty seriously).  What year / Tech Level are you looking at?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 03:49:32 PM by Sletchman » Logged
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 05:46:54 PM »

Previously I have use GURPS 3rd ed TL9 with TL10 in biotech and/or computing and always with something like the Hard Science modification in Ultratech II (if you don't know that book basically remove all the superscience except perhaps powercells). So something like that or perhaps straight TL10 Hard Science.

"I just do eyes"
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 07:16:26 PM »

All my GURPS GMing (and most of my player) experience is 4E, so I'm not familiar with UT2 or most of 3rd at all, but it looks pretty similar to a lot in 4E.

I've gotta chat to my players some more, but I'm looking at between 2030 and 2110 - so TL9/10 depending on the final descision.  They've all said they want pretty hard science, but without going too far future we're gonna have to accept some superscience for power cells.  So looks like we've got pretty similar plans for our games - if I go with Spycraft I'll put any new rules I write on the forum, and you might get some use outta them (and I'd be very happy to see anything you put together, too).
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 08:09:03 PM »

Ok, well if you want any of my GURPS stuff just PM me

"I just do eyes"
Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 10:53:54 PM »

Yeah, Catadon, I still have my black box from RTal back in 1987 and all the Cyberpunk books in both hardcopy and pdf. Always good stuff.

Living Spycraft Masterm
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 11:35:23 PM »

Literary nitpick...

What you guys are talking about is post-cyberpunk more so then cyberpunk.

Also, as another nitpick, cyber-psychosis isn't really a cybernetic threshold system, it's a system for reflecting post-traumatic stress and other issues. It's actually somewhat inherent to reflecting one of the central themes of the literary genre. Read the article in Solo of Fortune (May, 2013). Any discussion of EuroSolos and the Swedish clinics talks about it as well. Bubblegum Crisis: Before and After talks about it too. I've had full conversion borg characters with almost no loss of humanity. It's not how much chrome you have, it's how you relate to it.

Essence is pretty much just there as a balance thing though, and rather poorly implemented too.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 11:37:58 PM »

Literary nitpick...

What you guys are talking about is post-cyberpunk more so then cyberpunk.

Also, as another nitpick, cyber-psychosis isn't really a cybernetic threshold system, it's a system for reflecting post-traumatic stress and other issues. It's actually somewhat inherent to reflecting one of the central themes of the literary genre. Read the article in Solo of Fortune (May, 2013). Any discussion of EuroSolos and the Swedish clinics talks about it as well. Bubblegum Crisis: Before and After talks about it too. I've had full conversion borg characters with almost no loss of humanity. It's not how much chrome you have, it's how you relate to it.

Essence is pretty much just there as a balance thing though, and rather poorly implemented too.

Agreed

Living Spycraft Masterm
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 12:32:19 AM »

I completely understand what cyber-psychosis is supposed to represent and simply grouped it with essence to both keep things fairly brief (in a fairly long post) and because all the improvised Chrome systems for Spycraft that I am aware of totally ignore it (right along with essence).

Knowing what it was supposed to represent doesn't mean I hate it any less though.  That sort of thing is best left to actual Roleplaying, Disadvantages (that are chosen, not forced) and Subplots.  It's not something I should be forced to work around just to play what I want to.

I also do not get how we are talking post-cyberpunk more then cyberpunk, given no one has discussed / posted setting details.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: