Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2014, 01:16:45 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  The Long Road designs and questions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Long Road designs and questions  (Read 544 times)
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« on: May 07, 2012, 06:17:44 AM »

Hi all this new thread is for material generated by- and questions from The Long Road pbp.

I have one of each. How can I improve the monster below so that for the same xp the players don't beat it up in three rounds without getting hurt? (see the Long Road IC thread for details).

Amarok (Large Animal Walker 98 XP): Str 18, Dex 8, Con 12, Int 4, Wis 10, Cha 10; SZ L (12, Reach 1); Spd 30 ft. ground; Init III; Atk V; Def IV; Resilience V; Health VI; Comp None; Skills: Athletics III, Intimidate VI, Notice IV, Sneak IV, Survival VI; Qualities: improved sense (smell), menacing threat, superior runner I, tough I.
Attacks/Weapons: Bite III (trip), Claw III 2, Cold Aura (damage IV: aura 10ft. radius; damage type: cold)
Treasure: 2T

Amarok (Large Animal Walker 98 XP): TL: 4
Str: 18/+4; Dex: 8/-1; Con: 12/+1; Int: 4/-3; Wis: 10/+0; Cha: 10/+0;
Init: +1=2-1(dex)                      Melee: +8=4+4(str)    Fort: +5=4+1(con)
Health: +7=4+1(con)+2(size) ~ 120/18   Ranged: +3=4-1(dex)   Ref: +3=4-1(dex)
Def: 11=10+3-1(dex)-1(size)            Comp: None            Will: +4=4+0(wis)
Size: Large (12); Reach: 1; Speed: 30 ft. ground;
Skills: Athletics III (Str) +10 = 6+4; Intimidate VI (Wis) +10 = 10+0; Notice IV (Wis) +8 = 8+0; Sneak IV (Dex) +7 = 8-1; Survival VI (Wis) +10 = 10+0
Qualities: improved sense (smell), menacing threat, superior runner I, tough I.
Attacks: Bite III [2d10/17-20] (trip), Claw III 2 [2d8/19-20], Cold Aura [2d10/20] (damage IV: aura 10ft. radius; damage type: cold)
Treasure: 2T

thank you.

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 09:38:54 AM »

Is there some reason it needs to have 5 signature skills instead of just a high competence?  If you replace all of those with Comp X, that saves you 9 xp right there, which you can juggle around to your liking.  Frenzy II would be a good start, or some grades of Swift Attack.  I also think you could drop the Bite down to grade I, since I imagine mostly the point is to get people tripped.  That gives you 4 points, which I think I would spend on feats.  Martial Artist would be cheesy but effective, same for Wrestling Basics.

Also, by my count, that NPC is only 97 xp, but I could be counting wrong.  EDIT: Nevermind, I was counting wrong.  If it turns out that's right, or if you can find 1 xp somewhere else, I like Cagey.  And if you have several xp left somehow (like if you passed on frenzy and swift attack), I recommend DR.  But my experience is generally that DR 2 or less is pointless, so you would need at least 9 xp to make it worthwhile.

EDIT 2: Actually, if this monster is going to be tripping a lot, Kicking Basics makes it much safer for him.
If you go -signature skills +Comp X, +Frenzy II, -Bite II, +Martial Arts(for great defense) and +Wrestling Basics(for free trips), then you're at -1 xp from where you started, so you can add in Kicking Basics for only 1 extra xp, which is what I would do if it was my monster.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 10:04:04 AM by tfwfh » Logged

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 11:09:40 AM »

Is it supposed to be this?
(click to show/hide)

If it is, do something along the lines of the Ebonscale feat in the Adventure Companion. Give him 2 more bite attacks, Regen 2, and make it so he can't be flanked. Could give him the Expert Disarm feat, each round the beast tries to disarm one of the players. With success, the next round the throws the weapon (as an improvised weapon unless it has hurl) at another player dealing stress damage.

Founding member of the 10kBLF (Ten Thousand Bullets Liberation Front).
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 11:16:14 AM »

Is there some reason it needs to have 5 signature skills instead of just a high competence?

Animals don't get a Competence score, I seem to recall

Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 11:32:49 AM »

Def: 11=10+3-1(dex)-1(size) 
This guy is a pinata.

Knock 5 points off his skills and up the defense to VIII.  That should put it at Def 15.  If you need him at higher levels dial it back down to VI or V.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 11:49:10 AM »

Also, if you're just throwing one at the PCs, consider making him a special.

Loose Survival, Intimidate, and Menacing threat. That's 14 points. Add natural defense (cold), change the aura attack to a cone, and add a swift attack. Then be ruthless. Pick a PC and flurry on them and breath icy death over everything.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 03:01:12 PM »

Thanks guys, when I have a bit more time I'll put together a 'new and improved' version.

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 05:30:08 PM »

Just remember that sometimes the dice love you and other times they make you their bitch

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: