Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 02, 2014, 03:53:49 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Statting a God?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Statting a God?  (Read 733 times)
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2012, 05:47:59 AM »

Ares, God of War
Overwhelming, insatiable in battle and needlessly destructive, Ares is the Greek God of War. Born the son of Zeus and Hera, he is a savage and violent being. Unlike many deities, Ares really doesnít care about his worshippers motivations. He isnít interested in why they fight, only that they do. Ares rides into battle on a mighty chariot, pulled by the twin steeds Phobos and Deimos, and wields a mighty golden spear.

Avatar of Ares (Medium Elemental Outsider Walker - 359 XP): Str 30, Dex 30, Con 30, Int 20, Wis 20, Cha 20; SZ M (1x1, Reach 1); Spd 30 ft. ground; Init X; Atk X; Def X; Res X; Health X; Comp V; Skills: Intimidate X, Tactics X; Qualities: Always ready, banned action (Calm, Relax), class ability (Soldier: Fortunes of War III, Killer Instinct, One in a Million), critical surge, damage defiance (edged, blunt, bows), devoted V (Path of War), dramatic entrance, everlasting, fearless II, feral, ferocity, frenzy III, monstrous attack X, monstrous defense X, natural defense, never outnumbered, rend, tough V, treacherous, veteran V
Attacks/Weapons: Golden spear of ares (divine damage attack V; melee; dmg 1d12 divine per 2 TL; upgrades: aligned, alternate damage), slam V (dmg 3d6+10 divine; threat 18-20; upgrades: alternate damage)

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 06:38:00 AM »

The thing about gods in games is you have to let go of Judeo-Christian preconceptions, Iron Age and Bronze Age mythology often does not make the gods all-powerful and unkillable. Often the word 'god' is a poor translation. The Book of Invasions features mortal men (with the help of the Land) defeating the gods (though the gods get payback and the accounts we have were recorded by later Christians...)

(Hope that made some sense had a bit too much wine)

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 07:36:35 AM »

I'm fairly sure Phobos and Deimos are Ares's sons, not his horses.

EDIT:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phobos_(mythology) - Fear
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deimos_(mythology) - Dread
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 07:39:46 AM by Agent 333 » Logged

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 07:42:25 AM »

Sleipnir was Loki's son, and he's Odin's horse.

The_Grand_User
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 01:26:24 PM »

The thing about gods in games is you have to let go of Judeo-Christian preconceptions, Iron Age and Bronze Age mythology often does not make the gods all-powerful and unkillable. Often the word 'god' is a poor translation. The Book of Invasions features mortal men (with the help of the Land) defeating the gods (though the gods get payback and the accounts we have were recorded by later Christians...)

(Hope that made some sense had a bit too much wine)

That's not too hard to combine the two, you just make lesser gods with stats and higher gods (or just one higher god) without stats. It's similar to how Tolkien's Valar are in relation to their creator. It could also allow for a mortal to somehow obtain the lesser god status, without getting too much power (nothing worse than a once-mortal with too much power Wink ), if your cosmology works that way. It's the system I use and it works pretty well.

I'm a programmer by trade, of course I like to tinker! Cheesy

"I don't want to fight dragons." - Hiccup

Drakes, the very best part about FC ^_^

I'm designing my own RPG, The Dual20 system! Cheesy
Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 03:58:49 PM »

Sleipnir was Loki's son, and he's Odin's horse.

I believe that Loki was also shaped as a mare at the time and mated with one of the other horses to produce Sleipnir.

Don't know what explains Fenris and the World Serpent though, Loki couldn't just have normal kids.
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 04:04:55 PM »

I'm fairly sure Phobos and Deimos are Ares's sons, not his horses.

EDIT:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phobos_(mythology) - Fear
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deimos_(mythology) - Dread

They were Ares's sons. They also pulled his chariot. They were either able to change shape, or they were horses.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 04:36:20 PM »

Or Ares made his kids into pony boys  Shocked

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 12:04:10 AM »

So, any comments on the actual stats?

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 12:12:25 AM »

Well, I wouldn't want to have to fight him...

Not sure he needs such high Charisma, but it looks good.  Something to consider (an idea based on the comic book representation of him, so maybe not actually useful) is to give him Class Ability: Blade Practice III.  Comicbook Ares can pick up any weapon that exists (even one that he has never seen before) and be an instant master of it, Blade Practice III lets him basically do that (and it's the only modular feat ability that I can recall).
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 02:14:12 PM »

Something to consider (an idea based on the comic book representation of him, so maybe not actually useful) is to give him Class Ability: Blade Practice III.

That is a damn good idea. That said, I still say the Tarrasque could have him for breakfast.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: