Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 22, 2014, 10:26:33 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  How to Pin an opponent?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to Pin an opponent?  (Read 3972 times)
Arceom
Recruit

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2012, 12:05:25 PM »

I possess the second printing rulebook and I cant find anything about how to pin an opponent. The grapple section doesnt cover this.
Korik1
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 12:19:24 PM »

Page 220. It's the grapple benefit "Sprawl." The grapple winner becomes sprawled and forces one opponent in the grapple to also become sprawled.

Everyone is normal, UnTiL yOu GeT tO kNoW tHeM.
Arceom
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 12:28:57 PM »

But sprawled and pinned are different conditions. Page 213
Korik1
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 12:34:25 PM »

You are quite correct... I'm not sure where else to look. It's not in tricks, grapple benefits, or the index. Personally I'd just rule it as a grapple benefit that allows the winner to transfer the loser from held to pinned.

Everyone is normal, UnTiL yOu GeT tO kNoW tHeM.
Goodlun
Operative

Yeah thats me with my Judo Gi and an AK-47

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 12:44:35 PM »

Held: The character is flat-footed and may take no non-free
actions except an opposed Athletics check to escape the hold. A
character who becomes held a second time loses this condition
and becomes pinned.
Arceom
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 12:46:44 PM »

Thanks good sir, you're totaly right
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 04:14:53 PM »

Note that this means you can get yourself pinned on YOUR turn, and then when your foe's turn comes around you could be in for a world of hurt.

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

Do I look like a people person?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 12:41:11 AM »

I believe the exact text Arceom is looking for is the last sentence in the second paragraph under the grapple heading. "The winner of this check may pin the opponent or choose 1 Grapple benefit (see next."

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 03:45:02 AM »

Note that this means you can get yourself pinned on YOUR turn, and then when your foe's turn comes around you could be in for a world of hurt.

This was why when my Pech was grappled by a veritable giant, I just delayed* until I had to forfeit my turn.  I had virtually no hope of beating my opponent, so I just bought as much time as I could until my group could help me out.

*Delay, being a free action, is allowed if you are in a grapple.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 10:00:06 AM »

Are you saying that there would be two athletics checks per round, one on each participant's turn?  I thought the grapple was resolved with the first to act and the other guy(s) participated in that same full action check.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 10:17:18 AM »

Are you saying that there would be two athletics checks per round, one on each participant's turn?  I thought the grapple was resolved with the first to act and the other guy(s) participated in that same full action check.

Why would fighting a grapple check be conducted any differently to any other combat action? All it does is limit the choices available to you.

Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 06:15:21 PM »

That's an interesting read, though as Mr. A's said it would be a significant departure from "the norm" of combat/init order/action economy. Forcing the opponent to sacrifice all his actions to participate in your check sounds like a pretty hefty benefit, but it might not be bearly as bad as it sounds in practice.

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 12:21:13 AM »

Why would fighting a grapple check be conducted any differently to any other combat action? All it does is limit the choices available to you.
It shouldn't be conducted any differently than any other combat action.  If an orc hits you with its sword, you don't get a separate dodge roll on your turn.  Likewise, if you lose the full-action opposed Athletics check in a grapple, you don't get a separate one on your turn.  Combat actions are atomic and uninterruptable except for a few actions (Ready, Parry) that are clearly called out in their descriptions as to how they interrupt.

Note that I'm not referring to the initial check as defender isn't under the limitations of the grapple rules until after he fails it.  By the grapple rules, the only non-free action a participant in a grapple can take is a full-action opposed Athletics check.  That's what limits your choices. 

That's an interesting read, though as Mr. A's said it would be a significant departure from "the norm" of combat/init order/action economy.
On the contrary, I think it's the standard way.  No other condition (held) gives you multiple attempts to break it every round.  Outside of a grapple, you can participate in one full-action per round.  Why should it be different inside of a grapple? 

I look at it as the involuntary version of becoming a mounted character. Smiley  Once mounted, each character no longer acts on his initiative but rather they act as one.  Likewise, a grapple is kind of a collective where everyone has a limited set of actions.

Otherwise you're allowing the participants in the grapple to take multiple full round actions in a single round in addition to the delay silliness mentioned earlier.  Refusing to make the grapple check shouldn't stop your opponent from pinning you, it should assure it.

Forcing the opponent to sacrifice all his actions to participate in your check sounds like a pretty hefty benefit, but it might not be bearly as bad as it sounds in practice.
For most creatures it's the only point of a grapple.  Unless you're a giant snake, you're probably grappling to prevent your opponent from taking his usual effective actions and in return you give up yours.  Rolling multiple times per round shortens the grapple and makes it a less effective hold.Yes, you can pin someone quicker, but that's not really the point of a grapple.

I don't know that my reading is the intended reading but it seems (to me Smiley ) to be reasonable.  You have all of the same options but the single check per round means two equals end up grappling for more than a single round.  And it avoids the go-limp defense.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 12:40:25 AM »

Of course it should be treated like every opther action. That's where your reading fails.

The problem with your reading is that the defender in the initial grapple check is not taking an action, they're opposing a check.

According to your interpretation, when a character is the target of a threaten action, they should loose a standard action on their turn since they burned that rolling Resolve. Same with Taunt and Sense Motive.

Also, Grapple is a full action, not a full round action. Full actions consist of 2 half actions. Full round actions would resolve on your next initiative count. The only full round actions are casting some spells.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 12:44:37 AM by Krensky » Logged

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 01:52:48 AM »

I think in the typical case, both readings work out the same.  Normally, a character grapples because they are quite good at it, and they will obviously outclass their opponent, in which case the opponent's best option is to do nothing on their turn to avoid making things worse for themselves.  It does make a difference if both grapplers are evenly matched however.

Even though this doesn't work according to the RAW, as a GM I would have no problem allowing a grappler to take the Total Defense action, and apply the bonus to their grapple checks for the round, and I certainly feel like it's within the spirit of the rules.  Maybe that would help if the do nothing to not make things worse logic bothers you (and it bothers me, a little bit).

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: