Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 27, 2014, 06:03:31 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Session Adventure Ideas/encountors Help
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Session Adventure Ideas/encountors Help  (Read 470 times)
Herodarwin
Recruit

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2012, 06:24:54 PM »

Hi due to some bad time planning / doctor appointments I have a game saturday and only the barest of plans for the session start. I should be able to run a basic game by using random encounters and improvising on what the party are doing but that may not be enough. First session with low experience players (2 returning players after a years break and 1 new player) so keeping it reasonably simple will be best.

helpful information

Setting:- Industrial era high magic setting with lots of unexplored land

party
old timely western miner drake (miner;scout):- put the adventure in a cave he's useful or combat where his claws do the talking.
Great white hunter (human/savage(by experience not breeding);musketeer; captain/deadeye):- again a combat focused character
Master of lost crafts Saurian (scholar;keeper) :- effective party healer with magic item creation feats.

session plan so far
1:- as agree out of character the saurian summons the other players to help him find the materials to make a new magic item (already knows the drake character met in an older game/ knows hunter by reputation). party meets introduces selves in character.
2:- saurian knows he needs ingredients (including rare monster parts X) but not where to find them. Will be in city so finding information will be easy but involve legwork(complex challenge/knowledge checks?)/role-playing(asking at university information )
3:- Travel to habitat/cave of monster random travel encounter or 2 (part of the way by train)
4:- explore cave a combat and or complex challenge or 2
5:- fight monster
6:- profit

So any help to turn that plan into a more workable form? Keep in mind I will be allowing/hoping the party will go off rails and will try to offer leads to do so.
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 10:18:13 PM »

The monster in the cave doesn't have the thing they need. But it does have a clue for how they can actually find it.

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 11:12:24 PM »

The investigate skill should get a workout in this adventure.
Herodarwin
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 01:56:23 PM »

Gentry:- interesting twist I'd need to make sure it doesn't end up feeling like I'm pulling the prizes away just as they get it.

Big_jim:- Yep and maybe impress,
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 07:33:18 PM »

Hmm.  There's Sympathetic Adversary.  Maybe they need the heart of the oldest tree in the forest and it turns out that's the home of the a nice dryad.  The straight-forward method works for the nasty party but others may need a second meaning.

Puns/Double-entendres:  Maybe the heart of the forest is a token of the dryad's love or the ring given to her by her long dead lover.  Winning that could be an adventure of its own.  Then there's the Mermaid's Tale, A Baby's Breath (a small white flower), tears of a slain king (know some good jokes?) Meet of the Orc Lord (A token of respect given to those that he grants an audience)  Most of these work verbally and your group may not take to them.  YMMV.

Those are more fantasy.  Industrial you could do various obscure chemicals.  Ice-8 from Everest after a lightning storm.  Refined Puresilver only found in the temple ruins of your setting's dark continent.  Make them gather the components for the Electro-Galvanic rod that they'll need to charge their item.  Distilled essence of Pitchblend.

Of course, part of these are in the possession of bad guys.  Part are lost and need investigating.  One of them is a key component in the cities' defense grid.  A couple need crafting.

And hit them with at least one literal.  A Diamond in the Rough is an actual Diamond mixed in with Coal.  Fake a notice check for it. Smiley  Then give them a real reflex save to see if they grab it before it goes into the engine. Smiley
Gentry