Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 12:56:57 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [Notebook] Mass(ter)craft 2nd ed: Getting the ball rolling
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Notebook] Mass(ter)craft 2nd ed: Getting the ball rolling  (Read 7660 times)
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 06:53:06 AM »

@ Mr A:  Metres?  I support this (and the metric system in general, of course), but unless you plan on reprinting large quantities of the entire system in the pdf fully converted metres it's probably best to stick with the existing framework of the game.  Also Hanar need to have a far higher swim speed then 6m if everyone else has a 9m ground speed - hear Thane talk about them and that will be quite obvious (he outright states they are both quicker and more agile then the Drell when they are in the water).

EDIT: Also, Drell should be faster then Humans/Asari/Batarian/Krogan/etc., because they actually are faster.  40ft vs 30ft should be enough of a difference.  Play as one in MP and you'll see they are quite significantly faster (and far more agile - another thing they need).

@ Glim: Indoctrination is a very interesting origin ability, quite unique and extremely flavourful (which I support).  Also: There's new DLC?  Or was it a leak that I just missed?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 07:40:48 AM by Sletchman » Logged
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

Do I look like a people person?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 07:00:41 AM »

Re: Indoctrination, something like the Shadowlands Taint rules from L5R?

Sletchman: He's talking about the Day 0 DLC, From Ashes.

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 07:07:19 AM »

I completely disagree regarding having rules for reaper indoctrination.  It's supposed to be undetectable, and there is no way to be surer that the player knows his character is being indoctrinated than to create and use rules for it.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 07:24:35 AM »

Sletchman: He's talking about the Day 0 DLC, From Ashes.

Oh.  I thought there might have been a multiplayer update where you can play as them.  I, personally, am against playable Protheans but there is precisely zero chance of me running a Mass Effect game (or even playing in one) so my opinion doesn't really matter.  Just because that jerk ass is the only one left, no other pods (including on Ilos) survived intact with power.  Shouldn't be impossible to stat them though - they seem to just be a multi-gendered Asari with psychometry.
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 07:52:19 AM »

No vorcha, as I don't think they should be a playable species; I'm almost of that opinion on volus too, as their physiology means that realistically losing suit integrity should outright kill them.
I can't think of why one would want to play a vorcha, but goblins made the FC cut, and I can't think of why one would want to play them either.

Volus suits seem to be very difficult to damage, and losing suit pressure isn't instantly fatal.  A human in space has about 90 seconds.  A volus would obviously have rather less, and would be that much better drilled in emergency suit patching.  (Said patching would be pretty easy with an omni-tool.)

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2012, 08:14:49 AM »

I completely disagree regarding having rules for reaper indoctrination.  It's supposed to be undetectable, and there is no way to be surer that the player knows his character is being indoctrinated than to create and use rules for it.

OTOH, if my GM suddenly said "Oh, by the way, you're indoctrinated. It's been going on for a while, but I didn't tell you anything or give you a mechanical chance to resist" I know that i'd be pretty pissed.

I mean, what's the point in the threat of indoctrination if there's no way of measuring it?

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2012, 08:32:40 AM »

I mean, what's the point in the threat of indoctrination if there's no way of measuring it?
Sounds almost like a sub plot?  Mucking about with reaper tech does bad stuff to your head, but subtle bad stuff.  Start down that path and suddenly your character becomes an NPC...

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2012, 08:42:33 AM »

I can't think of why one would want to play a vorcha, but goblins made the FC cut, and I can't think of why one would want to play them either.

I've played a Goblin Burglar, and it was fun. I'd also considered playing a Vorcha in the PbP.

But maybe that's just me.  Roll Eyes

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2012, 08:57:14 AM »

Well, if you're playing with a GM who would do that, I doubt having rules for it would help matters much.  Indoctrination is very similar to insanity, from a narrative point of view, and nothing ruins insanity in a game faster than using rules to define and regulate it.  It shouldn't be a game mechanic, but rather a narrative tool.  If you want to have rules for the GM's benefit, that the player shouldn't interact with, I suppose that's not so bad.  But I don't know why any GM would want to restrict themselves with rules the players aren't aware of.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2012, 09:14:47 AM »

I was considering this for the new generation of cerberus troops that have been augmented using reaper tech, but I don't like the 'partial indoctrination' that is folded into it. Also, I think we need solid rules for Reaper indoctrination.
Some sort of sliding scale where it's easy to start on it accidentally, but once you're on it, it's a slippery downward slope that is almost impossible to resist.

Indoctrination basically makes you an NPC, so I'd be altogether against making it a PC playable origin. There's already a mechanic in the corrupting magic subset of the magic use CQ that you could use, but if you're going to have PC indoctrination that's probably best handled as subplot and careful roleplay

No vorcha, as I don't think they should be a playable species; I'm almost of that opinion on volus too, as their physiology means that realistically losing suit integrity should outright kill them.

Goblins have a long and storied history with numerous takes on what it means to be a goblin. The problem with Vorcha is that their 'hat' is to be psychopathic and violent towards each other to the point that they have no reason or liklihood to want to hang around with other PCs who aren't the krogan beating the crap out of them to force obedience in between getting them to kill stuff.

@ Mr A:  Metres?  I support this (and the metric system in general, of course), but unless you plan on reprinting large quantities of the entire system in the pdf fully converted metres it's probably best to stick with the existing framework of the game. 

5 ft = 1.5 m. Easy peesy.

Also Hanar need to have a far higher swim speed then 6m if everyone else has a 9m ground speed - hear Thane talk about them and that will be quite obvious (he outright states they are both quicker and more agile then the Drell when they are in the water).

A successful Swim check allows a character may move across or through water at up to 1/4 their base speed; for a standard character, that is 2.25 m/7.5 ft per half action. A swim speed of 6 m/20 ft is plenty fast.

EDIT: Also, Drell should be faster then Humans/Asari/Batarian/Krogan/etc., because they actually are faster.  40ft vs 30ft should be enough of a difference.  Play as one in MP and you'll see they are quite significantly faster (and far more agile - another thing they need).

Edited.

Come to think of it, given the new DLC i'd consider a playable Prothean species...

Really? Javik is supposed to be a special snowflake, not the precursor of a pseudo-Drow incursion

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 09:34:44 AM »

Goblins have a long and storied history with numerous takes on what it means to be a goblin. The problem with Vorcha is that their 'hat' is to be psychopathic and violent towards each other to the point that they have no reason or liklihood to want to hang around with other PCs who aren't the krogan beating the crap out of them to force obedience in between getting them to kill stuff.
I've played a Goblin Burglar, and it was fun. I'd also considered playing a Vorcha in the PbP.

But maybe that's just me.  Roll Eyes
Goblins and vorcha are totally YMMV.  (I think of vorcha as being goblins in space.)  Nor are the vorcha a species with only one hat.

I can think up some reasons why you would have some vorcha traveling with folks who aren't krogan.  Not getting treated like crap certainly could make that list.

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2012, 09:45:25 AM »

Cerberus.
   Requirement: Allegiance (Cerberus)
·   Attributes: +2 Charisma, –2 Wisdom
·   Base Speed: 9 m.
·   Basic Training: You gain the "Humanity Fuck Yeah!" Interest.
·   Higher Calling: Characters with opposed Allegiances suffer a –1 penalty to all skill checks targeting or opposed by you.
·   Close Ranks: You gain a +2 morale bonus to your Defence and all saving throws if there are at least 2 other characters who share your Allegiance adjacent to you.
·   Reviled: The starting Disposition of those who don't share your HFY! Interest decreases by 10.
·   Tenacious Spirit: You gain 1 additional vitality point each level.
·   Undaunted: Any morale penalties to your attributes, attack checks, skill checks, or saves are reduced by 2.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2012, 10:30:47 AM »

Close Ranks: You gain a +2 morale bonus to your Defence and all saving throws if there are at least 2 other characters who share your Allegiance adjacent to you.
I think radios should expand adjacent to CQB range.  (Expanding it like that would make dropping the bonus to +1 reasonable.)

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2012, 11:09:16 AM »

I'd probably make it the usual "see or hear you" range, and yeah, +1 seems fairer than effectively giving you 2 Battle Plans worth of benefit for less than a feat just because of friends

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2012, 11:52:48 AM »

nothing ruins insanity in a game faster than using rules to define and regulate it

Really? 6 editions of Call of Cthulhu disgree with you, quite vigorously!

Javik is supposed to be a special snowflake, not the precursor of a pseudo-Drow incursion

See, i'm all for giving players as many options as possible. Just add the caveat 'be aware that this species may not be appropriate for most games'.

You gain the "Humanity Fuck Yeah!" Interest.

I LOL'd

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: