Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2014, 07:14:41 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft Third Edition
| | |-+  Priorities, Priorities: Gearing Up (Time vs. Freedom)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Poll
Question: If you were *forced* to choose between only two options for gearing up in an RPG, which would you choose?
I like it quick and dirty (less time choosing gear, but also fewer options)   -28 (62.2%)
I like shopping (complete freedom, but also tons of prep time)   -17 (37.8%)
Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Priorities, Priorities: Gearing Up (Time vs. Freedom)  (Read 3908 times)
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2012, 08:04:43 PM »

I prefer the complete freedom route, because it can then be cut down to Quick and Dirty if the situation warrants.

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2012, 08:20:22 PM »

I prefer the complete freedom route, because it can then be cut down to Quick and Dirty if the situation warrants.

Isn't it easier starting with a simple system that can gain added complexity, rather than trying to strip complexity out of it?

Inquisitor
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2012, 09:16:42 PM »

Complete freedom.

What I do for the campaign I'm running right now is I pick the gear for the players in advance. The result is almost no gearing up phase (during the game) at all, except for the occasional question. While they are getting the instructions for the mission, they are informed of the equipment that is given to them. I understand that most players would not like this but my group are happy not having to shuffling pages of tables to find the gear they want. The downside is I have to prepare it, on top of the mission itself. Before preparing a new mission, I consult the players about the gear they liked and what they didn't.

So for me, I prefer complete freedom because that way there is always something new (and sometimes surprising) in the agent's items and since I'm doing it outside of the game, time is not an issue.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2012, 04:29:19 PM »

Complete freedom.

What I do for the campaign I'm running right now is I pick the gear for the players in advance.

For the record, this is exactly the opposite of complete freedom within the context of this question - for the very reason you're citing (the players don't get to choose anything during play). That's the exclusive focus of this particular poll - freedom vs. speed IN PLAY and AT THE TABLE.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Viperion
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2012, 06:53:13 PM »

Quick and Dirty for me - although personally I LOVE poring over tables of tables and tailoring my gear list to the mission at hand, it's not actually something I want to do during the game. As suggested on the spin off thread (and used in SC1) I really like the use of bundles (which is pretty much the definition of quick and dirty).

My group (used to, we don't play SC2 any more Sad ) want to get straight into the mission - although the Intel Phase is a big part of the mission plan, the group didn't really "get" the concept, and just wanted to jump straight into the mission instead, preferring to deal with problems as they came up, rather than planning for them. This is pretty much because we'd been playing d20 Modern beforehand, which is essentially D&D with guns - no prior thought required, really Wink
Gundark
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2012, 11:27:05 PM »

Short and sweet . Please. Long gear up times wreck the game
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 11:35:25 PM by Gundark » Logged
Inquisitor
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2012, 01:01:56 PM »

Complete freedom.

What I do for the campaign I'm running right now is I pick the gear for the players in advance.

For the record, this is exactly the opposite of complete freedom within the context of this question - for the very reason you're citing (the players don't get to choose anything during play). That's the exclusive focus of this particular poll - freedom vs. speed IN PLAY and AT THE TABLE.

I see what you mean. I thought of it from my perspective (I want to have a lot of tables) but it's true that for the game itself, speed is the priority.
Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2012, 02:13:19 PM »

While having complete freedom to pick everything you want, it can ruin things in game play, especially if you have a larger group. An hour or two can be spent just on picking gear.

Honestly, I far prefer to pick the majority of it, since I would be the "agency" and would hand out items from the Q division to the players (much like how Bond never got to "choose" his gear), and let them focus on a handful of items they want for the chars.
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2012, 02:24:57 PM »

I agree on this and think that keeping the players to selecting strictly their CHA picks works best.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Goodlun
Operative

Yeah thats me with my Judo Gi and an AK-47

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2012, 05:57:39 PM »

So the theme I see here, are the Game Masters want it Quick and Dirty and the players want complete freedom....
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2012, 06:06:46 PM »

Quick and Dirty is fine to me as a player if I've prepped what I plan to usually take.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2012, 12:33:15 AM »

It completely depends on the RPG. I'd never choose quick n dirty for a medfan game, but for an espionage game like Spycraft, definitely quick n dirty. Bond never spends more than a few minutes with Q.
meadicus
Operative

Frog King makes everything better

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2012, 05:25:32 AM »

So the theme I see here, are the Game Masters want it Quick and Dirty and the players want complete freedom....

Interesting you'd say that. I find that as a player I want quick and dirty, so I don't feel like I have to spend hours choosing just the right kit to get the most out of my character. But as a GM, we do all our gear prep off-table before the game (I email out the briefing a few days before the game), and I know several of the players in my group really enjoy spending the few hours to get their gear chosen just right.

I also know some hate it and really miss the simplicity of bundles from stargate, and that's the kind of player I am.

This sentence does not contain the property it claims to.

Web NPC builder: http://www.meadicus.plus.com/craftygames/npc-builder/
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/author/martinowen
vardeman
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2012, 06:52:55 AM »

It completely depends on the RPG. I'd never choose quick n dirty for a medfan game, but for an espionage game like Spycraft, definitely quick n dirty. Bond never spends more than a few minutes with Q.

And Bond just takes what Q gives him...
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2012, 10:21:15 AM »

And Bond just takes what Q gives him...

Though he almost never uses said items for their intended purpose ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: