Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2014, 03:36:38 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft Third Edition
| | |-+  Priorities, Priorities: Gearing Up (Time vs. Freedom)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Poll
Question: If you were *forced* to choose between only two options for gearing up in an RPG, which would you choose?
I like it quick and dirty (less time choosing gear, but also fewer options)   -28 (62.2%)
I like shopping (complete freedom, but also tons of prep time)   -17 (37.8%)
Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Priorities, Priorities: Gearing Up (Time vs. Freedom)  (Read 3839 times)
mathey
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 12:52:03 PM »

Surprise, I voted for Quick and Dirty!

I'd also argue that for most of my players, complete freedom is more like complete confusion - they just don't bother to read detailed gear rules or the descriptions for the various tags the tables tend to be littered with. That's not just with Crafty games; same experience with D&D, Gumshoe...even Mutants and Masterminds, which has some of the simplest gear rules evar! The one game I played where people agonized over gear (I wasn't DM) was a Pathfinder adventure path in which one snotty player dictated what we do with any and all items we picked up ("sell this so I can get this because we NEED it..." etc.) - and while it spared the rest of us having to read entire books of boring tables, it was miserable.
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 12:52:11 PM »

Okay.. while I'm standing by my vote.. I just want to clarify.  What is LOTS?  Something to the point of game breaking 45 seconds for Dirty or 7 hours for ultimate freedom or.. something closer to 1 min for dirty vs. 20 min for options?

YMMV, but in my games complete freedom tends to mean you spend about half of every session on planning and gearing up.

This is not to say that I prefer to play this way - only that unless I step in and force players to make choices more quickly than they would naturally, it winds up a 50/50 split.

Feel free to cut this comment to its own thread as I don't want to derail too far.  But isn't the group's propensity to debate gear picks more a result of the party than it is of the system?  While SC2's system was robust and allowed many options, you could still get it together without going the 50/50 time table by nudging their debates.  
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 01:03:35 PM »

...isn't the group's propensity to debate gear picks more a result of the party than it is of the system?  While SC2's system was robust and allowed many options, you could still get it together without going the 50/50 time table by nudging their debates.  

Not in my experience. Admittedly, the vast majority of my Spycraft experience comes from running LSpy, but still... It happened just as often in Classic as it did in 2.0, with the only difference being how much people griped about book referencing.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 01:05:59 PM »

Okay.  We'll chalk that up to YMMV then!  I've had some success with prodding the group into 'quicker' (re: faster than 50/50.. but still some solid time) in gear picks.  I basically just go with "Just when you thought you had all the answers..."
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 01:45:40 PM »

Quick and DIRTY. The more time the players focus on gear, the more important they expect all those choices to be, when in practice it doesn't matter too much if your 9mm has a 20ft range increment and 12 bullets or a 25ft increment and 10 bullets.

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 02:35:55 PM »

Tough choice to make, Pat.

I am a gunbunny, a shopper and a borderline obsessive compulsive (which translates to a bit of a stats and detail whore).  I am the textbook guy for the second option.  However, I'd say my GMing vs Playing ratio is about 10:1 (or even higher), so what I want really doesn't mean shit.  I also know that most of my group ends up asking me what they should take on a mission.  Which means speed and (more importantly) ease has to be my priority, because it's what my group needs more then it is what I need.  Damn I'm selfless, aren't I?

Now, I know you said "Only these two options", so the following breaks your rules (and I completely understand your reasoning, but I think it's of value to the topic at hand).
(click to show/hide)
Goodlun
Operative

Yeah thats me with my Judo Gi and an AK-47

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 02:43:42 PM »

I love having a ton of things to choice through and to be able to shop and its great thing to do before coming to the game table.  At the table though I just don't want to spend hardly any time on it.  I rather players focus on planning the op.  So I guess quick and dirty for me.  Having a good relationship with your group that they will have access to the necessary and cool equipment (unless not having access is plot specific) when they need it solves a lot of problems.  I don't see the point in ruining an adventure if someone should have brought night vision goggles, the adventure was  written with the expectation of them having them, so making sure that they end up in everyone's ruck sack even if they didn't necessarily pick them isn't a bad thing. 
Just a wacky thought I just had but I wouldn't even mind seeing a gear system that sort of works like the wealth system here roll to see if your character had the for site to bring his duct tape. 
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 03:36:39 PM »

• Only mods can see the voting results, which is intentional. We would appreciate it if the mods would not reveal the results. Thanks! Smiley

Crap, I'm sorry.  I did not realize that.   Embarrassed

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 04:31:45 PM »

The only solution I had as a player in LSpy to this was to generate a list of preferred gear based off of each Caliber for my Gear choices. It made gearing up faster usually by half the time.

This is what I tend to do as well, and I'd leave the full range of options open for between-game perusal. I really liked the bundles from 1.0 in terms of a time-saver/thematic gear approach.
Tegyrius
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Agent

Somebody Else's Problem

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 04:36:59 PM »

The only solution I had as a player in LSpy to this was to generate a list of preferred gear based off of each Caliber for my Gear choices. It made gearing up faster usually by half the time.

This.  I vastly prefer more options, so long as the system supports a certain amount of pre-staged work that can be done before or between sessions.

- C.

Clayton A. Oliver ē Writer of Fortune

And in this moment/I will not run, it is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope/Within our bloodied hands

- The Cruxshadows, Winter Born
tracker7
Mastermind
Operative

MLB > Firefly

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 05:23:42 PM »

This is what I tend to do as well, and I'd leave the full range of options open for between-game perusal. I really liked the bundles from 1.0 in terms of a time-saver/thematic gear approach.

Seconded. Bundles were great, and it shouldn't be a stretch to accommodate both mission-based equipment bundles for grab-and-go and more detailed gearing for GCs, players, and groups that prefer that option.

The above may be conjecture, deliberate paraphrase, or outright bullshit.

Looking for GMs for Ohio Valley conventions. Some danger involved.
ahzad
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 06:46:34 PM »

i opted for quick and dirty, while I myself prefer more options, as the GM 90% of the time we just don't have 6-8 hours to play liked we used to, stupid real life  Angry so my games are around the 4 hour mark and we (meaning my group of players) would like to maximize our table top with story and action, not gearing up. 

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - A. Einstein
tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 07:18:31 PM »

I chose the shopping option.  As a player, I loves me some shopping.  As a GM, it's easily the most boring part of the session, though.  Still, if I have to choose one or the other, I'll choose having options and freedom and shopping, because it's easier to speed up the gearing up phase than it is to add new options for gear.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2012, 07:23:36 PM »

• Only mods can see the voting results, which is intentional. We would appreciate it if the mods would not reveal the results. Thanks! Smiley

Crap, I'm sorry.  I did not realize that.   Embarrassed

'sall good. Just pointin' it out. Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 07:21:35 PM »

I may be in the minority but I find gearing up tedious, I'd rather have a handful of options, than a bucket-load.
And maybe it comes through never having held one, but to me if you have an example of each type of gun (i.e. revolver, pistol, rifle etc) and a system of mods/upgrades, I can't see the point in having much more.
You can always add a gear-book later, or rely on the fan-base to create a bigger catalogue later.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: