Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 01, 2014, 05:44:15 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  *Live and Die in Omega Sector* OOC
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Live and Die in Omega Sector* OOC  (Read 3348 times)
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2012, 02:59:40 PM »

actually on the ship we are breaking into i would see the two extensions just aft of midships just before the engines to be the airlocks.

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2012, 03:03:56 PM »

That would mean she is "occupying" all three airlocks, which will make life rather easier.  Or at least safer.  Sorta.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2012, 03:10:40 PM »

in most cases the airlocks are on the sides of ships and not on the front. i don't think i have scene a case where it was otherwise. also i am guessing that they have a ton of space between airlocks, and possibly staggered and adjustable gangways for them anyway. on the normandy the airlock was just aft of the cockpit and before the sensor arrays in the hallway that connects the cic and cockpit.

that raises another question also does the ship have both port and starboard airlocks or just starboard?

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2012, 07:15:05 PM »

The modular cargo haulers from the games seem to have airlocks on both sides

LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2012, 07:26:35 PM »

The modular cargo haulers from the games seem to have airlocks on both sides

Good enough for me.
tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2012, 07:36:48 PM »

My example was more about the layout of the station than it was the ship.  I'm really not sure where the airlocks are on the Jinty.  Also, the picture I'm using for it may not even be accurate.  The ship LordK found seems to have been from the Amiga game Starflight.  The picture he gave us of it has those cylinder pod (maybe airlock hatches) things near the front, just behind the (I'm guessing) command section.  Other pictures I found of the ship have those pods near the back, just forward of the (again, guessing) drive section.  I used the one I did because it was the only one I could find from a top-down angle.

In any event, as long as the thing has at least 1 airlock that isn't docked to the station, I don't think it really matters.  The difference is maybe one or two minutes worth of EVA to get from one end of the ship to the other.  (If the scale of the pic LordK gave us is accurate, then the whole ship is something like 60 to 70 meters long).

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2012, 01:05:19 AM »

i was wondering if it would be possible to override the safety on the outside airlock locking the ship down and decompressing it at the same time.

tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2012, 01:28:36 AM »

Maybe, under the right conditions.  However, if the dock side airlock is open, it wouldn't do much more than mess up everyone's hair.  And even if it's not, with nothing to inhibit the normal operation of the life support system, the other sections could re-pressurize in fairly short order, which wouldn't be much better than just manually sealing the emergency bulkheads (or however that works in mass effect/on the Jinty).  Although it might be faster, which is good if things go sideways, and they will of course go sideways.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2012, 02:02:20 AM »

actually the airlock doors always close automatically after entering or exiting the ship.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2012, 10:18:52 AM »

actually the airlock doors always close automatically after entering or exiting the ship.
That's a problem we can work through.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2012, 10:29:35 AM »

my quote was more about the question of if the dockside door is open.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2012, 10:32:02 AM »

As a matter of safety, it should be closed and locked with a security check needed to open it, if you don't have the "open sesame" code on your omni-tool.

LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2012, 12:12:14 PM »

As a matter of safety, it should be closed and locked with a security check needed to open it, if you don't have the "open sesame" code on your omni-tool.

This is what I would go by -- I would imagine something as precious and expensive as a spaceship would have access security at least equivalent to a 21st century office building.
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2012, 12:20:50 PM »

Now that you mention it, once we're onboard, we could reprogram the security suit and lock the original crew out of everything.

LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2012, 05:55:50 PM »

I gotta say guys, it's been 2 months and this has gone nowhere. I'm more than happy to hand notes over to someone else to run this, but I'm not really feeling the urge to push it forward
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: