Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 10:30:56 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Setting assumptions and a problem with the use of Contacts.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Setting assumptions and a problem with the use of Contacts.  (Read 1238 times)
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 08:46:28 AM »

Six degrees of Dark Helmet.

I about spewed Pepsi on that one, Krensky...

As for the Stargate game, are these members of an established team or a brand new team being put together? ... An established team is easy to do it with ... the brand new team gives me the idea that maybe they make a contact who has a little black book that somehow ends up in the Explorer's, especially if he is the only one who has figured out how to read it ...eventually the little Black Book becomes inconsequential

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 09:46:11 AM »

As for the Stargate game, are these members of an established team or a brand new team being put together? ... An established team is easy to do it with ... the brand new team gives me the idea that maybe they make a contact who has a little black book that somehow ends up in the Explorer's, especially if he is the only one who has figured out how to read it ...eventually the little Black Book becomes inconsequential

Brand new team, my PC team will be among the first team to step through the gate (aside from a few experiments in the past that were carefully covered up, of course).  Interesting idea about having a guy who is owed one by a lot of people owing the explorer one, and gaining benefit by a sort of transitive property.
Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 09:53:43 AM »

It is kind of deus ex machina but it provides a good story hook, or a series of them in fact, and allows his Core Ability to remain functional on the other side of the Gate.

"Hey waitaminit! That's guy name was in the book!"

Instant Accessible Plot Focus

Crusader Citadel

Crafty For Life!
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 09:55:28 AM »

Sometimes a book ain't necessarily a book, either...
Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 09:58:46 AM »

Yes, two characters fighting over who can actually operate it correctly would be a funny moment

Crusader Citadel

Crafty For Life!
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »

I've suggested before that an acceptable alternate core ability for the explorer would be the Safe House feat. Along with the ability to drop an action die to gain the benefit of it in areas without the standard requisite population, this neatly covers the gist of the class being able to find stuff (and arguably better describes Daniel Jackson than the standard core ability of the class -- he manages to find somewhere to hangout when Ra is on his team's behind in the movie, and in the series his being te nice talky guy often means he has friendly locals offering him and his somewhere to hang low when disaster comes a calling.

tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 09:57:37 PM »

I would just like to point out that with stargates, interstellar distances become fairly meaningless.  The distance from anywhere to anywhere else is always 1 (barring plot hijinks, that is).

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 11:42:23 PM »

I would just like to point out that with stargates, interstellar distances become fairly meaningless.  The distance from anywhere to anywhere else is always 1 (barring plot hijinks, that is).

True, for small numbers of people. But, Stargate also involved starships that had to undertake travel time between worlds and galaxies.
tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2012, 12:23:09 AM »

Yeah, sure, but I think that would fall under the category of plot hijinks.  Mostly stargate is dial gate, walk though, rinse, repeat.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2012, 01:31:16 AM »

I would just like to point out that with stargates, interstellar distances become fairly meaningless.  The distance from anywhere to anywhere else is always 1 (barring plot hijinks, that is).

That's true, but in some ways is part of the problem.  Contacts have rules for "I'm too far away" but not for "I've got too much shit on my plate".  I'm pondering a rule for the second that doesn't crap over people who invest in them as a prize (and of course, Explorers).

EDIT: Not just for Stargate either.  People get busy in any setting.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: