Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 02:40:51 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  New DM rules questions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New DM rules questions  (Read 1996 times)
blacksheepcannibal
Recruit

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2012, 05:00:00 AM »

Just played my first session tonight. I was stoked, and I still am about continuing the campaign. Love the rule system.

It never explicitly says that a player may move freely adjacent to a flat-footed opponent. Is this a purposeful omission, or am I missing something?

It seems to be that Armor Check Penalty applies to any ability that is modified by Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution, and no other abilities? Did I interpret that wrong? At which point an armored mage seems like a most appropriate scenario, if anti-thematic.

What happens when a player scores a critical hit against a special NPC with the "mook" quality?

Is there anything preventing a player being able to cast cure spells more or less indefinitely outside of combat?

A mage seems to be able to case cure spells pretty much at a whim - while the priest, typically a character able to heal, relies upon mend checks (which are limited to twice a day outside of combat) and only if they have "life" as an alignment path is there any room for actually casting heal spells. Is this a purposeful bent, are there going to be more diving casting options in the upcoming magic book? Or arcane casters going to be better healers?

Does Damage Reduction or Damage Resistance stack unless it says otherwise? Does armor piercing have any effect against damage resistance?

Under what conditions does a character with a Flight Speed need to make a Maneuver check?

Does a character's size modify their gear, rations, or rates at which they starve/dehydrate?

For the Drake, is "quadruped" anything other than descriptive? Is there anything keeping a drake from using a zweihander with the Drake upgrade?

A few of these are pretty obvious, some are a little questionable, and some I think there is an obvious answer but I cannot find reference for it in the book or I don't know exactly how to go about it.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 10:54:54 AM »

1) Page 204, the second bullet point covers that.

2) You are correct. ACP applies to physical skills. Spellc asting is Int based. Easy houserule is to apply ACP to spellcasting. Of course, that's a worst case of -5, so it won't matter much other then for high level spells after a level or two. Fantasy Craft mages are more then back row spell slingers.

3) He wasted an action die confirming the threat. Give him a suitably over the top description of the kill. Oh, and you might want to give him the action die back. Unless of course it's a tough mook (used when you want a NPC to last a certain number of hits) then the hit burned two failures off the NPC (or more, depending on the number of dice spent to activate the threat).

4) That SP refresh per scene, not per combat? That depending on the spell and their skill levels they can critically fail? The length of time a scene lasts is purpousely vauge. That each combat is one is a useful rule of thumb, but if you want to get more of that old school resource management or to increase pressure in general, stretch the scene to every few combats, or every level, or even to the whole dungeon or scenario. For instance, say you have a inn under attack by the undead. There might be multiple combats throughout the night, but it should only be one scene to enhance the feeling of being trapped.

5) This is not D&D. In D&D terms, if you want the spell slinging cleric, take the cleric specialty and play a mage. The priest is more like the D&D paladin then the cleric. As for stuff for divine casters, the Adventure Companion has a feat chain for them. You should pick it up regardless for the two base classes and the pile of feats. The settings are nifty too, and have lots of stuff that can be pilliaged.

6) DR and Damage Resistance from different sources (like the Soldier's class based DR and his armor DR) stack. Damage Reduction and Damage Resistance are two different things and get applied seperatesly, with Reduction coming before Resistance. AP does not effect Resistance.

7) Whenever the GM wants to. Same with a walker making acrobatics checks while running.

Cool It means what it says. Drakes walk on all fours. As for a zweihander swinging drake... the drake upgrade does not let drakes use the weapons. Drakes don't have opposable thumbs. Of course, they get a d10 bite, and a d8 claw, and a 2d6+con breath weapon, and their claw and bite attacks benefit from Martial Arts and other unarmed feats.

What do they need weapons for?

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
magustoad
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 11:18:04 AM »

I'll answer some of these.

"Just played my first session tonight. I was stoked, and I still am about continuing the campaign. Love the rule system."

Welcome aboard!  It's a fun ride.   Grin

"It seems to be that Armor Check Penalty applies to any ability that is modified by Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution, and no other abilities? Did I interpret that wrong? At which point an armored mage seems like a most appropriate scenario, if anti-thematic. "

From the book: ACP, A penalty applied to the wearer’s physical skill checks.  So yes, I agree with that part of your assessment.  On the send part though, ACP is applied to all classes evenly.  A mage suffers it the same as an assassin, burglar, soldier... some classes (soldier for one) get perks that mitigate it as they level and every one else can take the armor feat chain to get relief.

"Is there anything preventing a player being able to cast cure spells more or less indefinitely outside of combat?"

Well yes, but you have to read between the lines a bit.  Count the downtime as a scene and you limit their points there.

"A mage seems to be able to case cure spells pretty much at a whim - while the priest, typically a character able to heal, relies upon mend checks (which are limited to twice a day outside of combat) and only if they have "life" as an alignment path is there any room for actually casting heal spells. Is this a purposeful bent, are there going to be more diving casting options in the upcoming magic book? Or arcane casters going to be better healers?"

This is a common 'baggage-carryover' from D&D.  Very common.  FC priests are not stereotyped into healing.  They have a wide range of things to draw from for build, but are fairly siloed in that build.  However they are freaking awesome in that silo.  My wife's fire/life priest was hellish on mobs.  Summon fire elemental every combat with no roll?  Yes please.

That spellcheck roll is one of the prices a mage pays for their flexibility, a priest just makes it so.  There are campaign qualities that really make this distinction important.  

TL;DR version: Mage is flexible but more fraught with dice-errors.  Priest is broad definition but narrow focus with reliable and potent effects.

"Does Damage Reduction or Damage Resistance stack unless it says otherwise? Does armor piercing have any effect against damage resistance?"

Yes and yes, if memory serves.  Rules monkeys will have to correct me, running short on time.

"Under what conditions does a character with a Flight Speed need to make a Maneuver check?"

Think of it as making a ride/drive/pilot/check; Only when you are doing something fancy/risky IMHO.

"For the Drake, is "quadruped" anything other than descriptive? Is there anything keeping a drake from using a zweihander with the Drake upgrade?"

The art points to Drakes as Quadruped = 2x wings + 2x rear legs, the D&D wyvern template.  This. Drives. Me. Nuts. so we went with a quad = 4 on the floor setup with the fronts being manipulators but poorly suited for folk constructs and thus "Beast" designation.

By the rules anything with the Beast upgrade can be used by a Beast character... so if you tack that on to a greatsword, go for it.

Later!

Hydrogen (H)
Stupidity (Su)
= The two most common elements in the Universe.
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 12:32:55 PM »

The art points to Drakes as Quadruped = 2x wings + 2x rear legs, the D&D wyvern template.
I don't think so: I think it's showing the two left legs, not two back legs.  They're very weirdly located to be two back legs: the Drake would be doing a pretty big split and leaning way over to the side.  I suppose that's possible but it would be very odd.  Also the back leg is bending differently from the front one, and based on the way they are bending the back looks more like a usual quadruped back leg and the same deal with the front.
blacksheepcannibal
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 01:18:07 PM »

Thanks for the detailed response. Smiley

I dunno how I read p204. I think I understood it as "coming adjacent" instead of moving from an adjacent square into another adjacent square. Silly me.

Also, I apparently misread the "mook" quality for Special NPCs - it removes their Vitality, not their Wounds pool. So basically the "mook" quality means that any hit automatically crits if it hits. Makes sense.

Thanks for the help!
magustoad
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 01:32:20 PM »

Cool It means what it says. Drakes walk on all fours. As for a zweihander swinging drake... the drake upgrade does not let drakes use the weapons. Drakes don't have opposable thumbs. Of course, they get a d10 bite, and a d8 claw, and a 2d6+con breath weapon, and their claw and bite attacks benefit from Martial Arts and other unarmed feats.

What do they need weapons for?

I've seen dragon described as both Quadruped and Hexaped.  It just depends on what you define the wings as.  So with that bit of art's odd perspective on the legs we thought wings + rear limbs.

Now that I go back and look at it there is no beast quality for weapons.  I sit corrected, faulty assumption that the one from armor carried through to weapons.  Of course I've never needed to look it up as I play a drake martial-artist, per Krensky's last point.  Right now his bite is 1d10+8 15+ threat with an effective Massive quality from a trick.

<tangent> Drake quality == component bag readied with weapon ready.  That weapon trait always leads me down the thought-path as to how a "Beast" race creates weapons at all.  I know you can make kits with beast quality, but that just doesn't true up logically with me.  If you have the manual dexterity to make a weapon then why not have the ability use it?  Other than the "I have big teeth and claws already." angle of course.  Thieves kit?  Can you imagine a drake picking a lock?!   Wink  I know how mine does it...  *SMASH* Spoken matter-of-factly:  "Door's open."  hee hee

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 01:35:02 PM by magustoad » Logged

Hydrogen (H)
Stupidity (Su)
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 01:59:15 PM »

Technically, Drakes are quadrapedal hexapods. Just like we're all bipedal tetrapods. The PC species tableau and the Conjuror art is pretty clear, to me at least, that Drakes have four "legs" and two wings with the forelegs being usable as manipulators, ala racoons.

The species craftmanship upgrades should not be interperted as "made by X", they are "made in the style of X".

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 03:40:04 PM »

the Conjuror art
You mean the Iconic Conjuror is a Drake? Shocked
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 04:17:50 PM »

the Conjuror art
You mean the Iconic Conjuror is a Drake? Shocked

Perhaps I've said too much.

I'm sure the art in the gencon preorder teaser has discussed before.

magustoad
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 05:24:33 PM »

We have discussed it, and yes he is.  Smiley

I agree on the preview art Krensky, it just never showed the back legs to point to the group and go "See?! Four on the floor!"

The main book art is just one of those pictures that looks like one thing to somebody and another to a different person.  Like that picture of the candlestick/fat man faces always used to illustrate this and other optical illusions.

Hydrogen (H)
Stupidity (Su)
tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 06:57:30 PM »

Just FYI, the drake in the Beastmaster art also more clearly has 4 legs + 2 wings.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
Soulcatcher
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 08:03:45 PM »

Ditto for the drake in the art that's in the strip of art on the top of the page.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 12:37:58 AM »

<tangent> Drake quality == component bag readied with weapon ready.  That weapon trait always leads me down the thought-path as to how a "Beast" race creates weapons at all.  I know you can make kits with beast quality, but that just doesn't true up logically with me.  If you have the manual dexterity to make a weapon then why not have the ability use it?  Other than the "I have big teeth and claws already." angle of course.  Thieves kit?  Can you imagine a drake picking a lock?!   Wink  I know how mine does it...  *SMASH* Spoken matter-of-factly:  "Door's open."  hee hee

I imagine a series of glove like things.  In the case of a lockpicking kit - basically a set of lockpicks that attach to his claws so he can manipulate the inside of a lock (like Freddy Kruegar, but less knifey).  Same thing for forging - I just figure they use their breath weapons as the fire source (and being a fairly magical thing it imparts magicalness into the weapon/armour).  Add in what ammounts to a steel brick with finger holes and you're good to go - that or one with heat resistance (Truescale / Elemental Heritage) just pounds it repeatedly with his fist.

Of course I imagine drake made armour as fairly crude looking, but brimming with magical residue (so kinda the opposite of the amazing fine detail work that is in all Elven equipment).  Also (to support the mechanics) someone along the way figured out how to replicate the races natural styles - maybe a wizard used a bound fire elemental in lieu of the Drakes magical firebreath, or the Elves detail work became popular so skilled craftsman started putting it into their own designs, Navy men took looted Saurian gear to be replicated so they can be protected but not drown (and so on).
magustoad
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 11:34:38 PM »

Blade-making is a surprisingly delicate task unless you want to make the Uruk-hi lawnmower swords.  My Smith got a bit too impatient one day and quenched a beautiful pattern-weld viking blade too hard and it just shattered.  That was about the time I decided to go make a snack run...  heh. 

He was furious with himself, and old hillbilly sword-smiths have fearsome tempers. 
Yes I had a similar image of a drake smith using inner fire to work metals.  Quite a neat picture really.

I still have a hard time seeing my drake, who is about the size of your average Ford F-250 extended plus some neck and tail, fiddling with anything as small and delicate as a lock.  Of course his obsession is cooking and causes fun when he's trying to squeeze into the Inn's kitchen to talk shop and learn about local recipes...  I imagine it to be like a cat 'hiding' whit their hindquarters hanging out but their head is out of sight.

Hydrogen (H)
Stupidity (Su)
blacksheepcannibal
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 12:26:40 AM »

Two more questions.

Sneak attack dice, do they always apply when one applies? For instance, wolf pack mastery (lets you applie a single sneak attack die when flanking) and a burglar with an extra sneak attack die from Bag of Trick - 2d6 sneak attack, or just the 1d6 it says you roll for flanking?

Poison: How does it work? More importantly, how does a monster applying poison work? For example,  disorienting poison, for the sake of argument it has the fast-acting upgrade. When you get stabbed with a dagger with it, you get a Fort Save DC 12 or you take 2 temporary dex impairment...and then you save a minute later, and keep saving every minute until you make it, or are rendered comatose (or in the sake of debilitating poison, you die)? Or do you just save the second time and you are done with it?

How can I increase the DC for a monster that applies poison? Say, a giant scorpion, threatening higher level characters, maybe level 12? A DC 12 is going to be a cakewalk. Do I just up the DC to whatever I feel appropriate? Should I make it an extraordinary attack, attached to the sting natural attack? Just make the DC 5 higher for every 2 xp?

How much treasure should I be handing out? Is there a guideline? Should it be about 100sp into their stake after every adventure (at an assumed 0 prudence?) together with a variety of gear and/or prizes, and by prizes I mostly mean magical items?

If you allow a player to "buy" a magic item, should they be charged the silver value of the item they are enchantiing? What level should the item be if they are buying it with reputation?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: