Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 12:53:13 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  A Question about kandra
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Question about kandra  (Read 662 times)
gitface
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2012, 07:09:21 PM »

Hi All

My group have been enjoying Mistborn for a few months now and realy like the way the system works and flows.  But a couple of questions have cropped up that we can't nail down between us.

I'm currently playing a contracted kandra and acting as the groups spy master, so have gone for various sets of bones.  So far I've maxed my Fast Replication and have just maxed Chimera as well.  While re-reading Chimera some thoughts came to mind.

1)  From the wording I don't need props for the aspect I include, so in the example about the dog that talks, I don't need human props, I just have to had taken a human form.

2)  When taking a form do you use the form's physique or your own.  I know in the book that TenShoon is reluctant to take the form of a dog but comes to like it as he can keep up with Vin.  Is this from an increased physique or an appropriate trait from the dog.

3)  Say for example I was following someone and lost them and decided that to find them again I could use their scent, having previous taken the form of a blood hound.  Would you say I would have to re-apply the form with this trait, reverting back to my natural form or that I can just add it in.

4)  In relation to 3 - we have gone with the second option and said that the normal time needed to take on the form that the trait is from would be how long it would take to gain said trait.  So for example if the blood hound was physique 3, then it would be 3 hours or 3 minutes with appropriate stunts.

I hope you can add some clarity and look forward to your response.

Gitface ..........
Dreamstreamer
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 06:37:32 PM »

Hi All

First, welcome to the boards!

I'm currently playing a contracted kandra and acting as the groups spy master, so have gone for various sets of bones.  So far I've maxed my Fast Replication and have just maxed Chimera as well.  While re-reading Chimera some thoughts came to mind.

Wow! 24+ advancements is nothing to sneeze at!

1)  From the wording I don't need props for the aspect I include, so in the example about the dog that talks, I don't need human props, I just have to had taken a human form.

I'm thinking you mean bones where you use "props", right? You're not using "props" in reference the game term, correct? To answer, I would say that it depends on what characteristic you are attempting to create. If the characteristic requires a certain set of bones, I would say that you need the bones. The example you use of a dog that talks wouldn't  require any additional bones. Giving a dog form opposable thumbs? I would require some additional bones and probably implement some circumstance modifiers.

2)  When taking a form do you use the form's physique or your own.  I know in the book that TenSoon is reluctant to take the form of a dog but comes to like it as he can keep up with Vin.  Is this from an increased physique or an appropriate trait from the dog.

I would rule it as a trait from the dog, if necessary, though I would likely not even bring it up unless it served some story-related purpose.

3)  Say for example I was following someone and lost them and decided that to find them again I could use their scent, having previous taken the form of a blood hound.  Would you say I would have to re-apply the form with this trait, reverting back to my natural form or that I can just add it in.

As worded, it seems like you can only grant additional features when taking form. Maybe it has to do with tying the various systems in the body together with the new feature(s) being more complicated than simply creating the new feature(s)? I'm trying to think of an example from the books where a kandra adds a feature after forming the body, but I'm drawing a blank.

4)  In relation to 3 - we have gone with the second option and said that the normal time needed to take on the form that the trait is from would be how long it would take to gain said trait.  So for example if the blood hound was physique 3, then it would be 3 hours or 3 minutes with appropriate stunts.

Which makes it little different (as far as time is concerned) from the other option, right? I guess that it would be easier to conceal the (potentially grotesque) changes taking place, if that makes a difference. I suppose it would be at dinner time! Wink
gitface
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 06:38:41 AM »

Hi all

I would say that it depends on what characteristic you are attempting to create. If the characteristic requires a certain set of bones, I would say that you need the bones.

That's the way we've been leaning, so for example, want to see like a hawk then you don't need the bones, but want to grow wings and fly then you would need the wing bones and feathers.

I would rule it as a trait from the dog,

Again that's what we thought, but I wanted to get other peoples opinion, particularly since you need to keep track of the forms Physique.

Gitface .................
ReaderAt2046
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 08:21:20 AM »

Hi All

First, welcome to the boards!

As worded, it seems like you can only grant additional features when taking form. Maybe it has to do with tying the various systems in the body together with the new feature(s) being more complicated than simply creating the new feature(s)? I'm trying to think of an example from the books where a kandra adds a feature after forming the body, but I'm drawing a blank.

TenSoon mentions that he rebuilt his musculature a few times while in the dog's form, before he hit the best arrangement.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: