Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2014, 01:23:39 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  See You Space Cowboy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: See You Space Cowboy  (Read 8931 times)
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 10:20:24 AM »

I'd play this. Plus i'd be happy to share advice from the... let me think (counts fingers) ... 6 successful PbPs i've run?

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 10:36:56 AM »

I'd play this. Plus i'd be happy to share advice from the... let me think (counts fingers) ... 6 successful PbPs i've run?

Heh, doesn't that beg the question of how one defines "successful?" Wink

Kidding aside, I think there's a lot to be gained in terms of advice, so feel free to suggest.
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 10:42:15 AM »

Mass Effect level tech?  FTL, light personal shields/light and effective armor, pretty dumb robots (smaller ones at least), interstellar travel common, ships inexpensive enough to make commodity shipping commercially viable.

Does that sound like a decent start point?

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 10:56:59 AM »

Mass Effect level tech?  FTL, light personal shields/light and effective armor, pretty dumb robots (smaller ones at least), interstellar travel common, ships inexpensive enough to make commodity shipping commercially viable.

Does that sound like a decent start point?
I can easily work with that.  I do kinda like the idea of Gates (ala cowboy bebop) that facilitate FTL travel

This might be contentious, but IMHO
light personal shields --> Vitality points.
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 11:04:28 AM »

I can easily work with that.  I do kinda like the idea of Gates (ala cowboy bebop) that facilitate FTL travel

I'm cool with gates, and I understand your shields/Vitality connection.  I think that would mean that shields are relatively uncommon/unhelpful, but YMMV and I don't have a big issue with it. 

(click to show/hide)

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 11:05:26 AM »

Sounds right, but then you wonder how tech saavy folk don't have better shield generators...

You know, we could just skip star ships and work with interstitial mass transport systems: imagine a train system that spans the solar system, using portals to move from station to station.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 11:16:58 AM »

That would put a new spin on the old "train heist"?

tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 11:30:49 AM »

I like starships myself, if for no other reason than they allow for submarine movie style plots.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 11:40:38 AM »

... submarine movie style plots.
Hunt for Red October or Crimson Tide?

VisualStatic
Control

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 11:41:47 AM »

I'm cool with gates, and I understand your shields/Vitality connection.  I think that would mean that shields are relatively uncommon/unhelpful, but YMMV and I don't have a big issue with it. 

(click to show/hide)

I always use the scene in the Matrix with the lobby, elevator, roof scene.  Neo is burning through Vitality till he takes the hit in the leg, that is a wound.

--
Heroes don't die, they just reload.
--
A Master of the Dark Arts of System Administration.
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 11:51:58 AM »

I always use the scene in the Matrix with the lobby, elevator, roof scene.  Neo is burning through Vitality till he takes the hit in the leg, that is a wound.
We're seeing eye to eye.

So, Star Wars type mostly useless shields for Vitality?

tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 11:56:43 AM »

... submarine movie style plots.
Hunt for Red October or Crimson Tide?
Why limit ourselves?  Also U-571, Run Silent Run Deep, and not strictly submarines like Out of Gas (Firefly), Toys in the Attic (Cowboy Bebop), The Abyss, or even 2001: A Space Odyssey.  The most important elements of a submarine movie are total isolation from the rest of the world, zero possibility of escape, and a small pocket of safety in an environment that would otherwise be instantly fatal

LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 12:07:10 PM »

The most important elements of a submarine movie are total isolation from the rest of the world, zero possibility of escape, and a small pocket of safety in an environment that would otherwise be instantly fatal

Add in the aspect of ship-to-ship drama: chases, hide n seek detection, etc.

Yeah, i think it's safe to say that we're going to go ship
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 01:41:15 PM »

I'm totally on board with ships, even if There Ain't No Stealth In Space.

(That, by the way, shouldn't be a deal killer.  "Space Warfare II - Stealth Reconsidered" has some worthwhile thoughts on being "stealthy.")

Clearly one of the interstellar "countries" should be modeled on Tudor England.  Sir Francis Drake & Charles Howard

Two modifications to add stuff.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 01:47:05 PM by MilitiaJim » Logged

tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 05:49:35 PM »

In the interest of moving things forward, I think picking an existing setting (possibly tweaked) is the way to go.  Here are my thoughts on some of those:

Just No: These are all fun to watch/read, not fun to play or don't really work for an RPG for various reasons.
Star Wars
Star Trek
Dr. Who

Sure: These offer a lot of avenues for a game to explore and aren't completely dominated by a single character or event (except mass effect).  They also offer a combination of technological capability and level of expansion that I appreciate.  Things are fairly well settled, but there's also plenty of space left to explore, and exploring doesn't take generations.  I don't think it's a coincidence that these are all games already.
Mass Effect
Traveler
EVE
Elite/Evochron/Freelancer/X series, etc

Yes, but:
Firefly.  I'm not a fan of how long it takes to get from place to place in Firefly.  I also don't like how contained it is.  However, these are not show stopping issues for me.  In particular, I prefer my space fiction to have some form of FTL travel in it.
Cowboy Bebop.  I'm not a fan of how contained everything is.  On the other hand, the ruined but still accessible Earth is somewhat appealing.  I'm also not sure if Bebop has FTL travel, or just very fast sublight with relativity handwaved away.
Farthest Star.  To my knowledge I don't think this exists enough to give us the common base of knowledge and assumptions that makes using an established setting worthwhile.  Otherwise I have no problems with it.

My thoughts regarding other issues that have been brought up:
System: I like FC more than 2.0, but I also think that 2.0 is generally better suited to this task and porting FC is probably more work than it's worth.  So I guess either is ok with me, but 2.0 is the smarter choice in my opinion.
Magic, or whatever you want to call it: Meh.  I can go either way.  This should probably be determined by the setting we choose, and whether said setting has this or not makes no difference to me.
Hardness of the Science: I prefer my science harder than not, but there are some things it's easier not to deal with.  For instance, if there is some FTL in the setting, I would prefer it be a method that is not definitely impossible or rely on what is essentially magic (hyperspace).  That said, relativity is a pain, causality is a bigger pain, and time travel is just completely unworkable in my experience.
Transmechs: Uh....  I hate to rain on people's parades, but I don't really feel good about transformers, or giant robots in general.  I'm just fine with regular robots, androids, cyborgs, AI in strong and weak varieties, and probably other things I'll think of later.  But, I tend to get put off by things that Michael Bay gets excited about.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: