Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 07:51:11 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game Revisions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mistborn Adventure Game Revisions  (Read 10924 times)
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Don’t believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 03, 2012, 01:13:32 PM »

We want to thank everyone for their diligent attention on the editorial front. As we mentioned when the game released, a late game version control issue caused several small issues to slip through, forcing us to either release a mildly flawed Digital Edition or delay the release (again). We chose the former knowing you’d prefer to have the files immediately, and we asked for feedback to correct the issues before we went to press.

Since the Digital Edition’s release we’ve been taking feedback on typos and similar issues, plus soliciting ways we can improve the game, and you’ve come through in spades. From rules clarifications and tweaks all the way down to misspellings and grammatical errors, every post and email has been read and carefully considered. A compiled list of significant changes and clarifications follows, and if you think that anything else needs to be addressed, now’s the time. We’re getting pretty close to the finish line with this one.

As promised, Digital Edition customers will receive a fully updated version of the game shortly after the files are sent to the printer (there are a few extra steps between outputting the master files for prepress and delivering a polished, fully bookmarked PDF).

Big Changes and Clarifications
Most of the following aren’t actual changes but rather reinforcements of existing rules. In all cases the text is being massaged book-wide to clearly present these rulings, with updated explanations and examples.

• Actions per Beat: The introductory section on Beats is now very clear that no matter how long the Beats are in terms of game time, each character may only perform one action per Beat. This isn’t to say that characters are incapable of doing more, but for the purposes of the game, rules, and story, it’s their only chance for a significant impact. We’ve reinforced this throughout the Beats sections, and offered new related guidance for the Narrator as well.
  • Reactions: We’ve added a new section in the Conflicts chapter that talks about reactions. Therein, we explain that Reactions (capital “R”) are granted by certain abilities, like Steel and Iron Stunts (which replace the reaction uses previously available to anyone who could burn those metals). A character with an applicable Reaction can use it in response to another action, a specific event, or a particular circumstance, rather than as an action unto itself, and Reactions may not be combined or used in tandem with a defense to the same action, event, or circumstance (i.e. you can react to or defend against something, but not both). Reactions often grant extra dice that may only be used for the corresponding roll, and while a character using a Reaction may apply one or more Action or Defense Dice as well, the typical pool limit of 10 dice still applies.
  • Feruchemists Tapping Charges: We’ve expanded and re-scripted the Tapping Charges section, making it clear that Feruchemists have three different options when tapping their metalminds. They can tap charges one at a time for extra dice with certain rolls (and sometimes other effects, as described in each metal chapter), though they’re still limited to a maximum of 10 dice, as usual. Alternately, they can tap charges 5 at a time for guaranteed Nudges or they can tap charges 10 at a time for the benefits in those sections. These effects are declared, paid for, and applied separately, and though you can apply more than one of them with each action, using one option doesn’t trigger any others. We’ve also clarified the timing of tapped charges in and out of Conflicts, and added examples to generally improve the ease of using Feruchemy in your games.
  • Slow-Burning Stunts: To allow for many of the longer-term metal uses in the novels we’ve added Slow-Burning Stunts to several metals. These can each be taken twice, doubling your burn rate time with the metal each time you take them.
  • Attacking Multiple Targets with Allomancy: We’ve tweaked how this works for balance and ease of play. The attack works the same as before, though it’s much clearer now — you make one roll against all targets and they defend individually — and the trade-off is that you cannot gain or use Nudges with the attack. This makes it a great way to clear Extras out of the way but not a fast lane to eliminating multiple Villains.
  • Passive Savant Abilities: The abilities for certain Allomantic metals, such as Pewter, were largely passive and therefore didn’t benefit directly from the free Nudges typically granted to Savants, so we’ve replaced these benefits with new options.

Little Changes
To keep this quick and easy to reference we’ve left out the really minor stuff, like capitalization, spelling, grammar errors, minor graphic adjustments, and other tweaks made to improve the legibility and appearance of the book. In terms of marginal upgrades we have...

• Tapping Steel for Speed: We’ve greatly clarified how this works in and out of Physical Conflicts.
  • Bronze and Zinc Feruchemy: The effects of tapping these two metals have been slightly tweaked to better balance and ease their use in play.
  • Canon Terms: Certain Mistborn canonical terms, like “Metallic Arts” and “Lerasium,” were spelled inconsistently in the source materials, and are now being more uniformly presented in all Mistborn products. We’ve adjusted all such terms to mesh with the official stance for each.
  • Duralumin and Nicrosil: The description and rules for using Duralumin and Nicrosil have been modified to more closely match the canon, and we’ve also adjusted Duralumin’s Defensive Leeching Stunt for clarity and playability.
  • Atium Spikes: These can now steal and transfer any Allomantic Power (with a rating equal to that of the victim, rather than 1 lower, as normal), and the ratings of Powers stored in Atium spikes don’t degrade over time, either. This comes at greater deficit to your Spirit though, reducing it by 2 rather than 1 as normal.
  • Destiny and Tragedy Examples: The text example on page 477 and the Secret sheet cutaway on page 479 have been revised so the running example text now syncs up with the visuals at every step.
  • Marsh: The options for both versions of Marsh have been revised to better fit the canonical character.

Like us on Facebook and Follow us on Twitter
for special behind-the-scenes content, contests, prizes, and more!

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 01:18:19 PM by Crafty_Pat » Logged

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Dreamstreamer
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 02:43:19 PM »

These are exciting changes! Thanks for the update, Pat! Of course, I will have to make some modifications to my Allomantic Burn Calculator to take into consideration the Slow Burning Stunts...
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 03:01:33 PM »

These are exciting changes! Thanks for the update, Pat! Of course, I will have to make some modifications to my Allomantic Burn Calculator to take into consideration the Slow Burning Stunts...

Yeah, we'll get that Digital Edition out as soon as we can for ya!

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Skywalker
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 07:29:33 PM »

Well done. Those look like good changes. Can't wait to see the Digitial (and Print) Editions Cheesy
ReaderAt2046
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 08:24:47 AM »

Thanks for the Savant change!
Skywalker
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 06:57:06 PM »

So, when do we see the updated PDF?  Wink
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 07:46:37 PM »

So, when do we see the updated PDF?  Wink

We we mentioned, there's a gap between being done with master files and being ready with PDFs. We'll give a holler. Won't be this week.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Skywalker
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 07:49:16 PM »

We we mentioned, there's a gap between being done with master files and being ready with PDFs. We'll give a holler. Won't be this week.

Sad

You had mentioned. I just wanted to let you know people are waiting with bated breath Smiley
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 11:11:46 PM »

We're aware, but thanks for the reminder! Smiley

Also, that was supposed to be "As we mentioned," obviously. Typing a little too quickly there.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Skywalker
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 10:46:35 PM »

Are we there yet?  Grin
mach1.9pants
Operative

Supersonic Underwear!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 07:59:48 PM »

Look like some big changes there, can't wait for my copies Smiley

Gloria Finis
Skywalker
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 07:16:49 PM »

News?   Undecided

Have the books gone to print? Any progress with the PDF?
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 07:45:03 PM »

News?   Undecided

Have the books gone to print? Any progress with the PDF?

We're working with the printer now, but don't have details to report back just yet. Should be pretty soon.

The updated PDF is also very close. As we don't announce until something's ready, the next thing you hear from us on this front will most likely be that the file's available for download.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Woorloog
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 02:13:23 PM »

I'll throw this here as i don't think it warrants a new thread really:
Do sizes of area effects refer to radius or diameter? I don't think it was ever mentioned and it does have a quite large effect on things.
Additionally, is unit "pace" used  in the game "modern", ie roughly and informally 30 inches/800millimeter or is it the older Roman pace?
These could use a clarification.

Oh and the section about Brass in Feruchemy refers to temperature in Fahrenheits, what would be a good value for the temperature change in Celsius? Need to convert the units to something easier to work with during game.

EDIT i think i saw a mention towards Alloy of Law supplement, is such coming in the future?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 02:28:18 PM by Woorloog » Logged
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 07:58:25 PM »

Welcome to the boards Woorloog!

I'll throw this here as i don't think it warrants a new thread really:
Do sizes of area effects refer to radius or diameter? I don't think it was ever mentioned and it does have a quite large effect on things.

In design, I considered all areas as radius - "within 10 paces" from the user, for example.

Additionally, is unit "pace" used  in the game "modern", ie roughly and informally 30 inches/800millimeter or is it the older Roman pace?
These could use a clarification.

The answer is both Smiley The pace is not intended to be anything other than a rough estimate of distance, all of which is pretty loose in the game and the source material. I think using the Roman Pace is cool, so I'd lean that way if I had to choose Smiley

Oh and the section about Brass in Feruchemy refers to temperature in Fahrenheits, what would be a good value for the temperature change in Celsius? Need to convert the units to something easier to work with during game.

As someone who was living in a metric country recently, my F to C conversion was always "subtract 30, then divide by 2." It's not perfect, but it's pretty easy to remember.  Grin

EDIT i think i saw a mention towards Alloy of Law supplement, is such coming in the future?

Yes it is! Work has begun on the product, in fact. More on that later Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: