Author Topic: Mistborn General Purpose Newbie-Friendly Q&A Thread  (Read 8738 times)

Herowannabe

• Agent
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn General Purpose Newbie-Friendly Q&A Thread
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2015, 12:18:53 PM »
Testing something now that the forum has been updated...

Edit: excellent...  >:D *chuckles maniacally as he slowly withdraws into the shadows*

lostone

• Crafty n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2015, 08:13:15 PM »
was wondering if there is a ruling on the compounding stunts earthshaker(pewter) and ironrend(iron).  both stunts show for thier last effect a number for compound charges higher then 100.  are the charts wrong or is there a way to compond more then 100 charges? ???

Herowannabe

• Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2015, 06:35:33 PM »
Crafty Alex admitted that it was a mistake leftover from an earlier version of compounding. Here's the quote in which he lists the new compounding costs for those two stunts:

According to page 178, you'd need both a Skimmer rating of 15 AND a Lurcher rating of 15... 15 in Allomancy to generate the charges and 15 in Feruchemy to spend them. In other words, to Ironrend a traincar, you'd need to be impossibly powerful, with at least the strength of two Lurcher/Skimmers. I can think of one way to accomplish that, but the art is long lost...

Even the lost art of Hemalurgy can't boost Feruchemy above a rank of 10. (It's different from Allomancy in that it doesn't combine with existing talent. MAG Pg. 289)

Looks like a whoopsie. I think I'll reduce the "Charges to Rend" column by a third in my games...

Edit: And ninja'd!

Gah. As you might have guessed, Compounding changed a lot from its first iteration (very much for the better), and as you might have guessed, the limitations on spending were one of the key pieces to making it all work. Consequently, it looks like there are 2 artifacts of the earlier draft that made it into the compounding stunts:

Highest level of Earthshaker: To correct, lower the current 70 to 60, the current 100 to 80, and the current 130 to 100
Highest leve of Ironrend: To correct, lower the current 60 to 50, the current 100 to 70, and the current 150 to 100.

Kadrok

• Operative
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2015, 11:47:09 PM »
Interesting discussion, but I think rule of cool could reasonably trump mere science in a game about magic powers.   :P
Hahahahaha! That's fantastic. I'm going to make this my sig.
Interesting discussion, but I think rule of cool could reasonably trump mere science in a game about magic powers.   :P

Andinel

• Crafty n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2015, 11:34:41 PM »
I've run a couple sessions and really like the game, but I have a couple questions.

First, how exactly does catching a beat work outside of a conflict? I get that in a conflict you can use your leftover dice to take another action, but when you don't have Action Dice/Defense Dice, can you just make another roll with whatever dice you would get normally?

Would it be reasonable to allow a weak-powered character to take one of the stunts from the Terris or Skaa book instead of an extra trait? They cost the same amount of advancements, so if that isn't official anywhere I might add it as a house rule.

How long do the narrative actions that come with tapping 10+ feruchemical charges last, especially for the ones like pewter or tin?

I've seen a couple posts talking about Average/Weak/Mighty characters. Are those in Alloy of Law or is that a house rule?

Thanks for making a great game for this awesome setting!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 12:23:14 AM by Andinel »

Bill Whitmore

• Mastermind
  • Control
  • Woot, I got a new hat! :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2015, 09:23:09 AM »
I don't have access to my book at the moment, but I'll answer the part I know.

I've seen a couple posts talking about Average/Weak/Mighty characters. Are those in Alloy of Law or is that a house rule?

Thanks for making a great game for this awesome setting!

This is a house rule for character creation. The power ratings are pulled from the Narrator section of the book for making NPCs. Some poeple, have used these to make non-standard characters. For a high power game you may allow PCs to use Average/Strong/Mighty attributes, for example.

But again, this falls squarely in house rule territory so do this with caution. The game was not balanced around nor really play-tested for these non-standard power levels.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.

Herowannabe

• Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2015, 10:29:26 AM »
I've run a couple sessions and really like the game, but I have a couple questions.

First, how exactly does catching a beat work outside of a conflict? I get that in a conflict you can use your leftover dice to take another action, but when you don't have Action Dice/Defense Dice, can you just make another roll with whatever dice you would get normally?
Catching a beat doesn't let you gain any additional dice to use for your bonus action. If you have any dice left over you can use those, or you can do an action that doesn't require a roll (taking an extra step for example). If there aren't any actions that your character can reasonably do without any dice, then I would recommend using those 3+ nudges to give the members of your crew a group benefit (+1D to everyone's action the next beat, restore a point of everyone's Resources/influence/spirit, temporarily boost everyone's reputation or willpower by 1 point, etc).

Would it be reasonable to allow a weak-powered character to take one of the stunts from the Terris or Skaa book instead of an extra trait? They cost the same amount of advancements, so if that isn't official anywhere I might add it as a house rule.
Absolutely! Although it's not explicitly mentioned anywhere I could see in the Terris or Skaa supplements, it IS explicitly addressed in the Alloy of Law supplement:

STUNTS
Unlike the Mistborn Adventure Game, Stunts are no longer the purview of just Allomancers and kandra now, Heroes can also select Stunts that reflect their skill with a firearm; gunsmithing talents; innate koloss abilities; ways which they use their Feruchemical or Allomantic magic during gunfights; or Twinborn tricks.
Most Heroes can learn Stunts during Hero creation, depending on their choice of Powers, or can gain them in play by spending Advancements (so long as they meet the requirements). Note that the availability of Stunts for Heroes without Allomancy means that Heroes with weak Powers can choose one or two Stunts in place of Traits during Step 4 of Hero creation (see page 89).
and
Weak
Your character has no special Powers but gains two additional Traits. You can replace one or both of these Traits with Stunts (generally speaking, only gunplay or gusmithing Stunts) if you wish.

SO the answer is yes, you can select stunts instead of your weak-power bonus traits during character creation. Everyone I know also extends this guideline to Networks, since they also cost 4 AP. Also note that Mistings and other average-power characters who begin with a stunt can select a skaa/terris/gun stunt or Network as their stunt.

How long do the narrative actions that come with tapping 10+ feruchemical charges last, especially for the ones like pewter or tin?
One beat, unless otherwise noted (such as Feruchemical Bonze or Gold). The only thing that changes for different beat lengths is the narrative description.

For example, Feruchemist Frank is in combat (5 second beat lengths) and taps 30 charges of Pewter. Narratively his muscles grow to massive inhuman proportions for a few seconds and he proceeds to Hulk-smash his opponents. Later, Frank is helping to unload a bunch of heavy crates from a boat (beat length of an hour) and again taps 30 charges of Pewter to assist in the work. This time he grows to be a well-muscled (but not inhumanly so) man for the course of an hour.

Like Bill said, that was a house rule using the villain creation section in book 3 of the MAG as a guide. Personally if you want to start with stronger characters, I'm in favor of simply creating characters as normal and then giving them a bunch of AP to spend on advancements.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 10:34:59 AM by Herowannabe »

Andinel

• Crafty n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2015, 12:06:10 AM »
Catching a beat doesn't let you gain any additional dice to use for your bonus action. If you have any dice left over you can use those, or you can do an action that doesn't require a roll (taking an extra step for example). If there aren't any actions that your character can reasonably do without any dice, then I would recommend using those 3+ nudges to give the members of your crew a group benefit (+1D to everyone's action the next beat, restore a point of everyone's Resources/influence/spirit, temporarily boost everyone's reputation or willpower by 1 point, etc).

That's what I thought. What actions would be appropriate to take when you catch a beat, other than movement?

Kadrok

• Operative
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2015, 02:55:03 AM »

That's what I thought. What actions would be appropriate to take when you catch a beat, other than movement?
Making an obscene gesture at your enemies, accompanied by vulgar hip thrusting?

Oh, useful suggestions? Okay. Chugging a Misting/Mistborn vial. Reloading your gun (in AoL... or some kind of awesome crossover). The aforementioned movement. Tossing some key object to another party member (though your GM might want a roll for that)? So it depends in part what your GM will allow you to get away with without a roll.

Kurkistan_

• Agent
  • Catquisitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2015, 06:38:01 AM »
Claincy's character just recently caught a beat after

No reading this for you, Kadrok. Dying Light.
Spoiler
climbing down from the second story of a burning building with an Inquisitor hot on his heels. He then proceeded to catch a beat and give assistance/a bonus dice to his less nimble crewmate (my character) trying to accomplish the same feat.