Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 02, 2015, 06:22:06 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  Mistborn General Purpose Newbie-Friendly Q&A Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mistborn General Purpose Newbie-Friendly Q&A Thread  (Read 931 times)
Herowannabe
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2015, 01:09:16 AM »

The real questions is HOW the inquisitors can recognize Kandra. Can they see the blessings with Steel-vision as Kurk suggests? Is it because they could detect them via emotional allomancy, like when Vin tries to sooth OreSeur? Some other way?

Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2015, 03:34:58 AM »

i'm glad someone had the reference because I had no idea where it was, i just remember it coming up early on with my kandra in Claincy's game.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Outis
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2015, 01:43:12 AM »

I always do wonder about this when I read that line. Is it ironsight? We have evidence that ironsight has limits, like seeing through a cloud of pewter dust. Can they see even metal piercing bodies? Hard to imagine what else it could be; Vin and Breeze have both shown us that there's not a great way to use emotional allomancy, unless you have a tendency to Riot people into frantic action at random, and note when people inexplicably don't quiver with a flared Riot of fear, which frankly we don't really see them do. Perhaps they get some sort of emotional feedback from their brass and zinc like ironsight? Maybe like ironsight, any Soother could get this feedback, but none ever has?

If they can see metal inside of people, doesn't that mean they can follow allomancers by the traces in their stomachs?

It's long been speculated that something's going on with Inquisitors and ironsight. Marsh talks about having his "newfound senses" literally as he wakes up from being spiked. That's... fast. If ironsight were simply something any Lurcher could do, the case that his adaptation is rapid because he lost his eyes doesn't really ring true. A lifetime lurcher is a lot more accustomed to iron than Marsh was the instant he first got his power; if it really came up after a minute or two of sensory deprivation, you'd think people would be constantly discovering it the first time they get up in the middle of the night in a world without electricity and need to use the privy.

I suspect it's a side effect of the whole "hemalurgic creation" thing, like the height and the gravely voices. I think part of the adaptation to their spiritweb from the specific series of spikes you get is a proclivity for ironsight. Perhaps a second thing you get is something that lets you detect people who aren't affected by emotional allomancy?

Maybe it's simply being "in the club." Maybe hemalurgic creations just have a sense for other hemalurgic creations.

I asked this question, poorly, somewhere once. What specifically makes you an inquisitor? At what point do you stop being someone like Zane or Vin or Spook, a person hosting a spike granting a hemalurgic power, and start being an actual Inquisitor, with the height and voice, and possibly with an aptitude for ironsight? Is it the eight base spikes? What do we know (I'm half-remembering one thing from the book and another from a WoB) about whether the linchpin was necessary for someone to be an Inquisitor, or was it something The Lord Ruler added to control his Inquisitors? The WoB says something about one spike being needed to regulate the others; what exactly happens if you get the other eight spikes but not the linchpin? Is your soul ripped to shreds? Does your soul simply not adapt in a way that lets you survive the various other fatal injuries from the eight spikes?
Kadrok
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2015, 02:59:18 AM »

The Lynchpin... as far as I know it's needed to connect the head spikes with the body spikes. Perhaps it's something to do with how the body adapts itself around spikes (like how the heart is not positioned quite where it was, or at least not shaped the way it was as a response to the heart spike). Perhaps the lynchpin distorts the body in a particular way which makes it possible for someone to distort it in other ways without dying. Which is to say, perhaps if you spiked someone everywhere an Inquisitor gets spikes except for the lynch point, the body (personified) is all like there's no way I can make this work, sorry... whereas if the body has the bridging distortion of the lynchpin, the body (personified) is all like it was dicey, but I can make this work if I go through the section conveniently opened by the distortions of this spike (the lynchpin)

TwoDSix
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2015, 08:34:10 PM »

The Lynchpin... as far as I know it's needed to connect the head spikes with the body spikes. Perhaps it's something to do with how the body adapts itself around spikes (like how the heart is not positioned quite where it was, or at least not shaped the way it was as a response to the heart spike). Perhaps the lynchpin distorts the body in a particular way which makes it possible for someone to distort it in other ways without dying. Which is to say, perhaps if you spiked someone everywhere an Inquisitor gets spikes except for the lynch point, the body (personified) is all like there's no way I can make this work, sorry... whereas if the body has the bridging distortion of the lynchpin, the body (personified) is all like it was dicey, but I can make this work if I go through the section conveniently opened by the distortions of this spike (the lynchpin)

IIRC hemalurgic spikes always distort the body in question so that it works despite the presence of the spike. More details in the spoiler so that book 2+ aren't spoiled.

(click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: