Author Topic: Mistborn General Purpose Newbie-Friendly Q&A Thread  (Read 21800 times)

Herowannabe

• Operative
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn General Purpose Newbie-Friendly Q&A Thread
« Reply #105 on: May 09, 2017, 07:02:38 PM »
Welcome to the game Tineye!

I don't have any stats for animals, but the core mechanics of the game are simple enough that it should only take a few minutes to whip up stats for any creature you want. I suggest taking one of the animals in the MAG as a starting point and go from there. Get the core stats figured out, then add a few traits to round things out.

For example, for a bear I would look at the stats for a horse... I imagine that a bear would have a similar physique as a horse, but with traits more geared towards strength and ferocity than speed and endurance like a horse.

Horse:
Physique 7, Charm 4, Wits 3
Resources 3, Influence 3, Spirit 3
Health 10, Reputation 7, Willpower 6
Traits: Sprinter, Healthy as a Horse, Panicky
Equipment: none.

Building off of that, I'd go with something like...

Bear:
Physique 7, Charm 3, Wits 3
Resources 4, Influence 3, Spirit 3
Health 11, Reputation 6, Willpower 6
Traits: Hungry as a bear, protective as a mother bear, forager
Equipment: claws and teeth (+1 Damage in combat)

Might need a few tweaks if you want to make the bear more of a threat, but you get the idea.

Carmae

• Crafty n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2017, 03:07:33 AM »
Hi everyone !

I'm just reading the MAG and a few questions already popped in my head :

I've read that "The Outcome of a Contest between two sides is equal to the difference between the Results (which naturally gives the winner a positive Outcome and the loser a negative Outcome)." on one hand, but Assuming no Difficulty, the Outcome range of a Contest is fairly narrow (0 to 5, as no negative Outcomes are possible) on the other hand.
What's right ? The loser of a contest has a negative Outcome equivalent to the positive one of the winner ?

If you choose active defense for a conflict round, your dice pool depends on the type of attack your opponents declare. What if someone tries to wound you while another wants to shame you, for example ? Is there a rule for cross conflicts, like mental and physical at the same time ? (I've not read all the book yet, sorry if I'm anticipating, I'll be glad to find the answers later).

In an example, an Allomancer wants to dodge a coins shot then push the coins aside towards a guard. The Narrator is ok with this, but shoundn't it count as two actions, and so take two beats ?

Finally, I don't see the point to declare an active defense, as you can transform your action dice in defense ones at any time, while you can't do the opposite. Did I miss something here ?

Thank you everyone for you help !

Herowannabe

• Operative
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2017, 11:43:00 PM »
Hi everyone !

I'm just reading the MAG and a few questions already popped in my head :

Hello, and welcome! :)

I've read that "The Outcome of a Contest between two sides is equal to the difference between the Results (which naturally gives the winner a positive Outcome and the loser a negative Outcome)." on one hand, but Assuming no Difficulty, the Outcome range of a Contest is fairly narrow (0 to 5, as no negative Outcomes are possible) on the other hand.
What's right ? The loser of a contest has a negative Outcome equivalent to the positive one of the winner ?

The Outcome range of most rolls, whether they be challenges or contests, is typically pretty narrow. It's only when you get into extreme circumstances (such as when using Duralumin or tapping large amounts of Feruchemy) that the extreme ends of the Outcome chart are even possible. As for Contests specifically, yes, you've got it right. The winner gets a positive Outcome and the loser gets a negative Outcome of the same amount, though the narration should take both into account at the same time (in other words, the loser doesn't get negative penalties stacked on top of the winner's positive bonuses for winning, or vise-versa).

If you choose active defense for a conflict round, your dice pool depends on the type of attack your opponents declare. What if someone tries to wound you while another wants to shame you, for example ? Is there a rule for cross conflicts, like mental and physical at the same time ? (I've not read all the book yet, sorry if I'm anticipating, I'll be glad to find the answers later).

Someone else asked a similar question a couple months ago and I gave an extensive reply. Rather than rehashing it I'll just direct you to my response there. And actually, there are a lot of good responses in that thread, I encourage you to just read the whole thing. ;)

In an example, an Allomancer wants to dodge a coins shot then push the coins aside towards a guard. The Narrator is ok with this, but shoundn't it count as two actions, and so take two beats ?

Defending against an attack doesn't take an action (though it does use up some or all of your action/defense dice). So in this particular case, the "dodge" is defense and the steelpush is the Allomancer's action for the beat.

That being said, sometimes there are times when the "one action per round" rule gets a little blurry. For example, if I want to burn Brass and Sooth someone while also trying to persuade them with Charm. You could just rule it as two separate beats, with the Soothing happening in the first beat and the Charm roll happening in the next beat, but usually I'll just mash them into one beat and insert a Brass vs Wits contest in there to find out how effective the soothing is.

Finally, I don't see the point to declare an active defense, as you can transform your action dice in defense ones at any time, while you can't do the opposite. Did I miss something here ?

Nope, the game-designers have said that they intended it to be this way. Mistborn is a game about ACTION, it's about seizing your destiny and doing things, not sitting back and reacting to whatever comes your way. Pretty much the only time I ever see someone declare an active defense is when an NPC is cowering in fear or just trying to stay alive in the thick of combat, but isn't actively taking part in it themselves.