Author Topic: Mistborn House War is now on Kickstarter!  (Read 493 times)

Aldus Vertten

• Handler
  • Los Otros Planes
    • View Profile
    • Guia del Freeky Galactico (Geek Guide to the Galaxy)
Re: Mistborn House War is now on Kickstarter!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 03:38:27 PM »
And it already funded! Congratulations to the Crafty bunch!

"No queda sino batirnos"
-------------
-El Capitan Alatriste

Crafty_Pat

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
  • We have all the time in the world.
    • View Profile
    • Crafty Games
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 04:53:00 AM »
And it already funded! Congratulations to the Crafty bunch!

Thank you, everyone, especially everyone who's already backed or shared the project!

We're into stretch goal territory now, but we can still very much use as much sharing of the link as we can get.

Let's make this game incredible together.  ;D
Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Newsletter: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/+Crafty-Games/
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is broken.

TheOpSecTreeFloof

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 09:10:30 AM »
So.. what happens if say.. you break 100K on them stretch goals?   :o ;D ;D

Herowannabe

• Operative
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 05:15:39 PM »
So.. what happens when you break 100K on them stretch goals?   :o ;D ;D
Fixed that for you. ;)

This is just my guess, but so far Crafty has been following a pattern of alternating between unlocking a new house every $15,000 and unlocking a components-upgrade every $7,500. However, we're about to reach a break in that pattern. My guess is that the Card Sleeves upgrade will be their "congrats we hit $100k" stretch goal. :)

Kadrok

• Handler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 08:55:12 PM »
Fingers crossed we make it all the way. I've always wanted to try Buvidas, and from memory the second round of Personalities is pretty awesome. And then... Pawns man... Pawns.
Interesting discussion, but I think rule of cool could reasonably trump mere science in a game about magic powers.   :P

Crafty_Pat

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
    • View Profile
    • Crafty Games
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 02:48:02 AM »
Fingers crossed we make it all the way. I've always wanted to try Buvidas, and from memory the second round of Personalities is pretty awesome. And then... Pawns man... Pawns.

We have faith. Thank you all!
Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Herowannabe

• Operative
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 04:02:46 PM »
Okay, I came up with a draft for a 2-player variant for House War. My wife and I tried it today and we both had a lot of fun. The variant successfully captures most of the elements of the regular game (obviously you don't have the same amount of scheming and alliances and etc that you would in a 3+ player game, but everything else played and felt the same), and it did so without creating a bunch of weird/different rules. The game played out well, and there was still a good amount of that "I'm working with you right now to solve this Problem, but don't be surprised when I stab you in the back next turn" feeling that the regular game has. It came down to the very last turn of the game- The Unrest track was at 7 and if the game had lasted one turn longer then we would have both lost.

The gist of it is this: The players are working together to hold the Final Empire together and prevent the Skaa from Rebelling. If the unrest track reaches 8, both players lose the game. If they successfully solve the Vin Problem card before the Unrest track hits 8, then the player with the highest score wins.

Full rules for the variant are here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i0YHENzqf7qtbm7swFBlBUytBCNA4NmiHIro2hRcJ5g/edit?usp=sharing

Feel free to look them over and add comments/questions/suggestions. And to all the other playtesters, I'd love it if you could try them out and tell me what you think.  ;)

And finally, since the game is still in the Kickstarter phase and there is a little time to make modifications, I give Crafty Games full permission to use, incorporate, copy, steal, modify, or ignore these rules if they so desire.

SirJerric

• Jr. Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 06:12:58 PM »
Looks interesting, but two points on the card text change:

Does that second line apply immediately? The first line is the trigger for the second, so do both happen instantly?

Is one disgrace per Unrest enough of a benefit to mitigate the fact that you just added one unrest? Seems almost too big a risk for a single point edge. (Yes, if it stays in play, the playing house is politically smearing the opponent for each slip of the unrest track, which is totally awesome in theme, but the benefit is small when asking the player to push the game ever closer to the knife's edge. In my last play, we saw a thirteen point lead. But then, maybe we just needed way more practice monitoring each other.  8) )
- SirJerric -
Wishes he was a Zinc Ferring.

Herowannabe

• Operative
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 11:58:57 PM »
I would say that yes, the second line applies when it is played. So when you play provocateur, you increase the unrest by 1 and your opponent gets 1 disgrace. I will change the wording around to make that clearer.

Really, the reason I changed the card in the first place was because its original wording (add 1 unrest each time it's your turn and gain a disgrace each time the unrest track increases) made the card worse than useless for this variant, because there is never a scenario where you want unrest OR disgrace. So something had to be tweaked to make it work, or the card needed to be removed from the deck completely. I went with the former.

In doing so I tried to keep the feel of the card similar to the original version- something that increases the unrest in the city and sticks around, continually causing problems until he's dealt with. So after playing around with a few ideas I went with the current version. I don't expect it to be a game-changing card when it's played, but most personality cards AREN'T game changers. If you look at the other personality cards that grant favor or disgrace, most of them only give a few favor/disgrace. Provocateur can give anywhere from 1-8 disgrace, with the average probably being around 3 or 4 (I think that's just fine, but if people disagree I can increase it to 2 disgrace per Unrest, or to something else entirely).

Plus, I love the risk involved in the card. Increasing the chances that both of you will lose in order to give yourself a bit of an advantage. There were a lot of times in the game my wife and I played where we faced similar dilemmas- (do I solve the problem that is about to erupt and add a couple Unrest, pushing us that much closer to losing, or do I solve this other problem that gives me a better personal advantage?) it makes for some interesting, and fun, decision-making.

SirJerric

• Jr. Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 12:20:53 PM »
I'm completely on board with your change. As I said before, it's thematically awesome.

I'm not sure the Honor Hostage is worth much either. Best use appears to be drawing a random Coinshot hit instead of the more important face-down card. I've thought that card might be better with a higher value too, since so many Coinshots kept murdering all the face-down Personalities in our games.

Given how big the deck is, and how in normal games few would play the Provocateur early lest everyone gang up on them, I doubt the average gain is quite that high.

Still I think your version and the original are both excellent cards. I'm just not confident that the small gains on any of the "stays in play" cards are worth enough given the proclivity of errant Coinshots. =) Though I am also aware that raising the value just encourages people to use their Coinshots, which winds up being self-defeating.

Probably best to use the provided-for tactic of nickel-and-dime victories.
- SirJerric -
Wishes he was a Zinc Ferring.

bits

• Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 07:02:50 PM »
Wow, just checked into your kickstarter project with less than 22 hours to go.  Congratulations to say the least!  You guys are in rare company to have a game hit that high.  Well deserved and hope you keep it up!

I backed by the way...   ;D

Now, back to work!   :D
Analog dos mirabus spirae cuttar, nimbus hypnosticos lazzum bid-dar!

Crafty_Pat

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
    • View Profile
    • Crafty Games
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 11:47:24 AM »
Wow, just checked into your kickstarter project with less than 22 hours to go.  Congratulations to say the least!  You guys are in rare company to have a game hit that high.  Well deserved and hope you keep it up!

I backed by the way...   ;D

Now, back to work!   :D

Thank you, sir, for your support and your kind words.

It's been a ride, that's for sure. :)
Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Drawback

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 10:35:30 AM »
I'm ready for my game guys.

Really happy to get the Siege of Luthadel expansion with it. It was a nice surprise by the way (as was the Vin figure)!

As an aside, it seems your game is inspired in part by "Homeland", am I wrong?

Crafty_Pat

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
    • View Profile
    • Crafty Games
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 01:46:58 PM »
I'm ready for my game guys.

Really happy to get the Siege of Luthadel expansion with it. It was a nice surprise by the way (as was the Vin figure)!

As an aside, it seems your game is inspired in part by "Homeland", am I wrong?

Homeland? The only property I know by that name is the TV show, and I suspect that is not what you're talking about.

::Googles::

Ah, I see a board game has been made with the same IP. I can also see why you'd make the connection but the answer is no, to my knowledge this game has had no influence on Kevin's design.

Their board track is a little like ours but the focus in their game is more about component manipulation than outright negotiation. I expect that in practice the two games would feel entirely different in all but cosmetic ways.
Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games

UPDATES/PRESS INFO