Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2015, 12:02:42 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  Possible new Brass/Zinc stunts?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Possible new Brass/Zinc stunts?  (Read 187 times)
Outis
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2015, 09:53:20 AM »

When Breeze is first teaching Vin, she asks what the point is, that the emotions inspired by allomancy will fade. Breeze replies that people will make stronger memories of events that made them feel strongly. I propose possible stunts.

Zinc: Unforgettable. A chance encounter becomes a defining moment. A man walks into a shop and sees a girl, and can't get her out of his head later. A skaa sees a hammer and feels a spike of fear, and keeps thinking back to that moment. With this stunt, a Rioter has the ability to cement a moment into someone's memory with a degree of greater importance. Make a Zinc v Wits check (I might expand this to a table based on the difficulty of the check; easy to make someone remember that time their parents were murdered, difficult to convince someone they have strong feelings for the same type of sandwich they've been eating every day for a month). On a success, anyone who knows he now has a strong memory of the event/item/person can manipulate that to gain one Bonus Die in future social interactions. (Prolly come up with some limit based on the Outcome). As with all emotional allomancy, there are two main limits, power and logic. If you use your power too strongly, the most blatant skaa will realize something is happening. And people aren't creatures of pure passion. You're not going to convince someone he loves a girl because you Rioted him once during a cute-meet. You can make him remember the moment strongly, but how he remembers it is up to the player, or the Storyteller if it's an NPC.

Brass: Forgettable. A quick blanket Soothing can make small details slip people's minds. Information stays in a short-term buffer for several minutes before being filed permanently. If a Soother wants to convince someone to forget the face of the man he just bumped into, forget the shop he just noticed as he walked down the street, forget that he was invited to play Shelldry tomorrow, make a Brass v. Wits roll. On a success, unimportant details are forgotten, or an entire event if it was minor enough. A skilled Soother can use this to try to avoid those "don't I know you?" moments that are the bane of every master of disguise, or to cover up little slips in his scam, or to sabotage someone else's con (if, for example, it relies on the mark recalling, "Oh, I just passed a haberdashery!") Also, please see above for obvious restrictions and possible future modifications to this idea.
rafter613
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 10:45:00 AM »

I like these! They seem useful.
Outis
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 09:52:13 PM »

Possible Bronze stunt? Familiar Pulse. With this stunt, you can tell the difference between two Soothers, or two Thugs. If a Lurcher comes into your radius, you know if you've Sought her before. (Maybe for every time you take this Stunt, you can memorize x specific Mistings/Mistborn)

This has been disproven by WoB.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 11:21:01 AM by Outis » Logged
Tellingdwar
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 04:42:24 AM »

Possible Bronze stunt? Familiar Pulse. With this stunt, you can tell the difference between two Soothers, or two Thugs. If a Lurcher comes into your radius, you know if you've Sought her before. (Maybe for every time you take this Stunt, you can memorize x specific Mistings/Mistborn)

Ooh, I like this one. Reminds me of Morse code. The subtle differences in how one operator taps out a signal is referred to as their "fist."

Back when Morse was used to communicate during wars via manual operators, the Morse operators could actually track enemy troop movements once they got a feel for the enemy Morse operator's fist. Even if the message was encoded, a good Morse operator could tell who sent it.

Similarly, each Allomancer burns their metal in a distinct way. Subtle differences in the pulses could betray their identity to a skilled seeker
Outis
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 02:40:40 PM »

Interesting...

It was inspired from a line in Well of Ascension. Vin is sitting outside, feeling the pulse of the Well, when she says she sense something else, something closer, "something familiar. Zane."

It made me wonder, does she mean she can actually sense Zane's specific pulses, or just "I sense pewter and tin both from one location, which means a Mistborn, and I just assume the only Mistborn around is Zane"?

Could a Seeker learn to notice a natural Tineye from a hemalurgic Tineye? We know you could somehow sense Feruchemy; how about hemalurgy? Is it conceivable that a Seeker could learn how to sense the constant flow of power from a Kandra's blessings?

Hrm. In the first novel, they said that Renoux couldn't meet an Inquisitor, because he'd instantly know it was a Kandra. And I've always wondered how. I suspected it was maybe their steelsight, noticing bits of metal inside the kandra's body, but what if they can just feel when you're using hemalurgy?

I wish I understood more about the phenomenon of bronzepulses. The Well seems to imply that it's not a matter of the "range" of the Seeker, regardless of what the MAG says. Vin is several days outside Luthadel and still feels it. It seems that allomancy just sets off a pulse, and whether you hear it or not is more dependent on the strength of the pulse itself, though obviously someone with better "hearing", "hears" more.

What about a specific stunt per metal (maybe excluding Copper); "quiet burning"? What if you learn how to burn, yet muffle your own pulses somehow, so that when a Seeker tries to Seek you, you count as one more Range away than you are? I could totally dig this as a Seeker getting it himself, able to notice other Seekers and turn off his own allomancy before they get close enough to sense him. Seeing, while staying shadowed.
Outis
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 11:12:03 AM »

This has been rather soundly debunked by WoB.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: