Author Topic: Props (of the real-life variety)  (Read 1369 times)

lord Claincy Ffnord

• Agent
    • View Profile
Props (of the real-life variety)
« on: December 19, 2015, 03:50:28 AM »
I'm just wondering if/what other narrators have been using in terms of physical props. (As opposed to the in-game props.) Compared to something like D&D I think it's fairly difficult to make or acquire props that work well for the MAG so I think it might be useful to share what ideas we've come up with :)

As an example I once gave my players an official document written in the steel alphabet (using the font I made a couple of years ago. I also gave them a key, I'm not too mean a Narrator ;) )

More recently (as in today) I created this map for a session that I'm running tomorrow (and for future sessions) that spells the beginning of a house war :)

Herowannabe

• Operative
    • View Profile
Re: Props (of the real-life variety)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 07:40:07 AM »
As far as MAG props go really the only thing I have used is a printout of the map of Luthadel. I do intend to start using these however, for the reasons stated on the thread.

On the subject of props, though, I have an anecdote to share. One of my very first experiences with Role Playing Games was a spy game (sorry Crafty, I don't think it was Spycraft- unless Spycraft had been around for 20+ years. In which case it might have been that) that we played with my friend and his aunt and uncle. His Aunt was the GM, and she was amazing. IIRC correctly she had actually won an award or two at some gaming cons for her GMing. Anyway, as far as a "GM pro" exists, she was it.

So anyway, she was GMing, and her husband, my friend, his brother, and one or two other friends where all players. Things progressed steadily until at one point in the game, one of the bad guys pulled a gun on us. My friend's Aunt didn't just narrate it though, she actually pulled a toy cap gun out of her pocket and pointed it at us. THEN, her husband also pulled a toy gun from his pocket and pointed it as us- his character was a traitor who was at that moment betraying us.

I'll never forget that experience, and to this day it is still the coolest single moment in an RPG that I have been a part of. So yeah, props are good. It might be a bit harder to find props that work for Mistborn, but still, imagine the impact it can have on your characters if you hand then a bead of atium (ball bearing) or a large metal spike or a sheet printed in the Steel Alphabet ;) at the right moment in a game. It definitely steps the game experience up from "fun" to "awesome!"

Gargoyle

• Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 03:50:25 PM »
Props weren't very acurate to in-world, but we did play Shelldry once using Claincy's rules.

Herowannabe

• Operative
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 11:53:11 PM »
So it has been a few months, but I just wanted to revive this thread to say that it has had an effect on me and how I Narrate. Now I look for ways to include props, just to help enhance the effect, and I have managed to include a few in my current running of the Skaa: Beasts of Burden adventure.

First, simple enough, when the employer hires the crew for the job he tosses a crew member a small leather pouch containing a bead of Atium for payment and a paper with some notes scribbled on it about the job. So, I grabbed an old leather dice bag I had, recreated the note, and popped a ball-bearing inside a small glass vial to be the Atium, and Voila! Nifty little prop.  :)

Second, this took a bit more work, but was totally worth it, I made a mistborn-themed Cryptex on my 3D printer for my group and worked it into the story.  ;D Let me explain.

Over at thingiverse.com someone created a 3D-printable Cryptex (the little cylindrical combination-safe thing in The DaVinci Code). I thought it was pretty cool, but would be way cooler if it was Mistborn-themed, so I went to work creating some rings for it featuring the Steel Alphabet.

It's all done and I unveiled it to my group last week.

(Quick side note: While this is absolutely NOT the reason I'm posting this, if anyone thinks this Mistborn-Cryptex is super cool and would like one of their own but doesn't have access to a 3D printer, shoot me a PM and we'll see if we can work something out.) ;)

Lastly, I have one more prop that I will be using with my group, but I can't say what it is yet because its currently locked inside the Cryptex and the crew hasn't figured out how to open it yet.   8)

Anyway, thanks Claincy for creating this thread when you did and getting my mind thinking about real-life props!

rafter613

• Jr. Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 05:40:07 PM »
I've actually made a couple props! I've printed out maps of Luthadel, and copied Kelsier's final message to the Crew. I fabricated Alendi's logbook, and handed it to my players when they discovered it. I've been writing down and passing out the transcription of the steel tablet in the Conventional of Seran as they translate it, and I've made a cryptic page torn from a mad scientist's lab book. I also made misting vials (with actual pewter and steel) for Christmas :)

rafter613

• Jr. Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 07:00:14 PM »
Not to Necropost, buuuuut I just got my first 3D printer, and designed a koloss sword, which is on Thingiverse here:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2136981
I'm very proud of it, and can't wait to introduce my players to koloss tomorrow :P

Herowannabe

• Operative
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 08:37:04 PM »
Sweet!  :D and welcome to the world of 3D printing!

rafter613

• Jr. Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Today at 06:42:43 PM »
Another design by me! http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2208965
When your players ask "why do I only get 30x my Feruchemical rating in a 2 month long breather?", you flash this card. When someone asks "why do non-props disappear?", flash the card.
Feel free to use, remix, or call me a snarky asshole for making this  >:D

Herowannabe

• Operative
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Today at 08:10:49 PM »
Love it! ;D