Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2014, 04:45:55 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Drake + Martial Artist Attacks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Drake + Martial Artist Attacks  (Read 613 times)
royalfa
Agent

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2012, 07:00:47 PM »

Well one of my PCs is a Martial Artist Drake with this feats:

NATIVE FEROCITY   Natural attacks improves by 1 grade      
MASTERíS ART           "Unarmed attack +2 damage (total +4) y +1 threat. (total +2)
ENHANCED NATURAL ATTACK   Bleed

If my calculations are correct then he has the following stats (4th level):

Bite II attack +9 (unarmed forte) d10+6 (Str 18; Master's Art) Lethal Threat: 15-20 (Bite II; Martial Artist; Master's Art) Quality: Bleed; Reach 3 (Drake 2; Martial Artist +1)

Claw II attack +9 (unarmed forte) d8+6 (Str 18; Master's Art) Lethal Threat: 17-20 (Claw II; Martial Artist; Master's Art) Quality: Bleed; Reach 3 (Drake 2; Martial Artist +1)

The question is: Why the character would attack with his claw??
The maths shows that the final damage and critical range are better for the Bite than the Claw; then I will always attack with the bite...I think.

I was wondering if the Bite isn't an unarmed attack (I don't see why not...) then the bite stats will be:
Bite II attack +9 (unarmed forte) d10+4 (Str 18) Lethal Threat: 17-20 (Bite II) Quality: Bleed; Reach 2 (Drake 2)

This way both attacks are more "at the same level"...

Thoughts please
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 07:09:58 PM »

Because the character can't reach a target with his mouth (e.g. they're in a cave or through a door that's too small for their snout but that they can still get an arm into)?

Because the character's mouth is somehow muzzled (magically or otherwise)?

It's more about options than exact balance. From our perspective, the broader fantasy audience tends to think bites are worse than claw rakes - thus the stats as they are.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
royalfa
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 07:35:10 PM »

I was thinking in something like "Can't turn the neck" or "because they are at my feets"

Then the maths are correct is only matter of "Can the PC hit with his mouth?".

At the moment I have a dungeon crawl where the Drake can move and attack but not fly and in the
"Darkest Hour" I use his "I fly away" to introduce the "Gravewurm"; The worm try to "snatch him in fly ripping the floor..." he escape making a 360 grade turn and landing again....

I justified this because the "tremor sense" of the worm sense the "uplifting" lol
tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 09:49:59 AM »

Because the character can't reach a target with his mouth (e.g. they're in a cave or through a door that's too small for their snout but that they can still get an arm into)?

Because the character's mouth is somehow muzzled (magically or otherwise)?

It's more about options than exact balance. From our perspective, the broader fantasy audience tends to think bites are worse than claw rakes - thus the stats as they are.

Or, because you're fighting something gross and you don't want to put it in your mouth.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 09:59:53 AM »

Like, y'know, face-huggers  Evil

magustoad
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 01:32:26 PM »

That's been a common refrain with my drake.  His chompy-chomp is murderous, but there are things out there you don't want to take the chance of contamination with.  Tentacled Horrors From Beyond are good candidates here.

"Are you going to eat that?" is the common joke at the table.  There are fights where, afterwards, the drake goes off a bit and gags repeatedly because he just ripped great bleeding chunks out of something unpleasant with his teeth.  Would you want to take a bite out of a rotting corpse?

Hydrogen (H)
Stupidity (Su)
= The two most common elements in the Universe.
The_Grand_User
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 02:27:56 PM »

Considering that many large lizards in the wild eat carrion, it might not be a big deal for a drake. But maybe it is, since they're sentient and know better.

I'm a programmer by trade, of course I like to tinker! Cheesy

"I don't want to fight dragons." - Hiccup

Drakes, the very best part about FC ^_^

I'm designing my own RPG, The Dual20 system! Cheesy
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 02:36:02 PM »

I cannot imagine how the flavor of something moved by necromantic energies is anything but FOUL.  As for the carrion, there is a large gap between "this will power my body" and "this tastes great."  If the drake in question is not hungry, spitting out foul tasting things is entirely reasonable and makes for great role playing.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: