Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2014, 09:37:06 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Achilles Heel and Damage immunity
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Achilles Heel and Damage immunity  (Read 576 times)
royalfa
Agent

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2012, 06:46:44 PM »

Hi there.

Today I encounter something that don't check to me.

Since the last errrata file I have the Achilles Heel quality change to: " the NPC recives equal amount of lethal damage" I made a "home rule" to make this double damage as this quality original stated.

But How you think about this quality with damage immunity Lethal??

I'm preparing a short story involving 4 Elder elementals that came through a "magical natural rift" into the base of my PCs.

But the Air Elemental has this two, I think, opposed qualities: Achilles Heel (electricity) and Damage Immunity (Lethal). If it receive X electric damage then receive X lethal damage but is immune to this one!! Then the Achilles Heel don't matter.

Thoughts??
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 07:14:19 PM »

Achilles' Heel was written with damage immunity in mind, though mainly immunity to the original source of the damage, and us wanting to avoid the extra damage being affected by that as well. Fortunately this is an easy fix, in that you can simply go with damage from Achilles' Heel always applying, no matter what Reduction or Resistances the target may have.

For the record, we're generally opposed to Damage Immunity (lethal), not just because of situations like this but because it hedges into undesirable territory (similar to the heinous "you may only kill this beast with magic items" issue with the mothership game). Sometimes what makes perfect sense in the narrative leads to less than playable rules, and it's best to either tweak your story to support more playable mechanics, or to accept certain compromises in the system to avoid potential conflicts.

Hope that helps!

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
royalfa
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 08:02:14 PM »

Thanks Pat!!

Yes it helps.

My group of PCs are "versatile" (don't know how to put it) some are immune or have resistance to fire (Devilish and Elemental Heritage); one has subdual and stress immunity; two mages that can cast some minor resistance; a soldier with great DR; a rogue with good AP and 2 die sneak damage; can do some fire damage. some force damage, some cold damage and of course a lot of lethal.

That's the reason I like the idea of a "4 elemental encounter" 1 of each kind....Maybe 2 special characters (Fire and Water) and 2 standar (Air and Earth) but I will decide this tomorrow.

Thanks again and good day
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 10:18:06 PM »

Have fun! Be sure to report back after your session. We'd love to hear how it goes.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
royalfa
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 12:50:48 PM »

Sorry Pat for the long wait about the session.

The history was a "success" they love it.

I post in the respective forum the whole thing "An Elemental Trouble", I know have some "writing" issues and some errors but I think is a good story.

Gladly I email you the PDF for you to look out.

Each Elemental have some great powers and some great weakness but at the end the game was fluent filled with combat and some other situations.

Thanks again for all the advice and the time to read/reply my posts.

Finally after a long gap in sessions tomorrow have the next one involving undeads
a subplot for a mage PC.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: