Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 29, 2014, 01:05:50 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Converted Spells
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Converted Spells  (Read 1954 times)
Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2012, 03:58:39 PM »

With the discussion on the Enter the Grave, has anyone else converted spells from the other game(s) to Fantasy Craft?

I am currently prepping for an upcoming game and trying to make some spell lists up to ease player selection and currently not all my themes have enough spells in them so instead of re-inventing the wheel I'll see what the forums have stored away.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 04:08:41 PM »

Consider me keenly interested in whatever might come out of this thread. Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 04:11:21 PM »

Here is a spell from ICE I've pulled most of the Edge/Limb/Stone/ Walking/Running spells into one spell based upon Jump

Perfect Balance
Level : 1 Shapeshifting
Casting Time 1 Half Action
Distance: Personal or Touch
Duration: 1 Minute per Casting Level (Dismissible)
Effect: One character gains a magic bonus with Balance checks equal to 3 ◊ your Casting Level (maximum +30). Also, you may move at full speed across precarious surfaces.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 04:13:17 PM by Medwyn » Logged
Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 04:17:23 PM »

Spider Climb
Effect: One character gains Superior Climber I and can climb and travel on vertical surfaces or even traverse ceilings as well as a spider does. The affected character must have its hands free to climb in this manner.

Flicked back to D&D for this spell, not quite sure on the Level. It is Level 2 in D&D but I'm not quite sure it is on par with other Level 2 spells so I've dropped in down a level.
tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 05:28:26 PM »

I came up with these some time ago when I noticed that FC didn't have any communication spells.  It seemed inappropriate to me that a wizard's only means of rapid communication would be to teleport and deliver messages in person.  How menial.

Anyway, these are based on DnD spells like missive, whispering wind, sending, and telepathic bond.  I didn't try to make faithful conversions or anything, just reproduce their effects and relative level vs utility balance.

Sending I
Level: 2 Word
Casting Time: 1 Half Action
Distance: Remote
Duration: 10 Minutes
Effect:  You send a single telepathic message to a single creature that you know.  This message may be up to 50 words in length.  The recipient of this message may respond in kind with a message of up to 50 words, but has no obligation to do so.  Any condition which blocks or hinders divinations will also block Sending I.

Sending II
Level: 5 Word
Casting Time: 10 Minutes
Distance: Unlimited
Duration: 1 Hour
Effect: You create a mental link between yourself and up to 1 willing creature per two caster levels that you know.  For the duration of this spell, you and each creature targeted may all communicate telepathically with each other across any distance and across planes.  Any condition which blocks or hinders divinations will also block Sending II.

Telepathy
Level: 3 Word
Casting Time: 1 Half Action
Range: Touch
Target: 1 willing creature per two caster levels
Duration: 10 minutes
Effect: You and each creature touched may communicate telepathically for the duration of the spell.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 02:45:13 AM »

I came up with these some time ago when I noticed that FC didn't have any communication spells.  It seemed inappropriate to me that a wizard's only means of rapid communication would be to teleport and deliver messages in person.  How menial.

Haven't you played Oblivion?  Real wizards summon demons and make them do the menial tasks.

Still, nice work - I'd be happy to let my guys use any of these.
Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 01:59:51 PM »

They look good tfwfh - consider them yoinked!

Here are a couple more to look over, first is a DnD followed by another Rolemaster spell.

Stabilize
Level : 0 Healing
Distance: Touch
Duration instantaneous
Effect: One character that is dying automatically stabilises. If the character later takes damage, it continues dying normally.

Living Gauge
Level : 0 Weather
Casting Time 1 Minute
Distance: Personal
Duration: Concentration
Effect: Caster can ascertain information from the surrounding atmosphere. You learn the basic weather information in the area you are in for the next 24 hours.

LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 02:11:30 PM »

Living Gauge
Level : 0 Weather
Casting Time 1 Minute
Distance: Personal
Duration: Concentration
Effect: Caster can ascertain information from the surrounding atmosphere. You learn the basic weather information in the area you are in for the next 24 hours.

Arguably the most powerful 0-level spell in the game.
Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 02:14:02 PM »

Living Gauge
<snip>
Arguably the most powerful 0-level spell in the game.

What makes it so powerful? What would you suggest?
tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 02:27:53 PM »

Consider me keenly interested in whatever might come out of this thread. Smiley

Now that I'm thinking about it, I wish spell descriptions listed both the School and the Discipline of a spell.  It's a small thing, but I think it would help players get a better understanding of what the relationship is between schools and their discipline.  Then other keywords would follow after that.  And I'm sure it will be even more useful when Spellbound arrives with it's specialty casters.

So Fireball I would read something like this:
Level: 3 Channeler(Energy), Fire

tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 02:38:52 PM »

What makes it so powerful? What would you suggest?

I'm not sure it's overly powerful, per se.  My concern in this regard would be that historically, wizards have a tendency to make all of the other classes redundant.  Why wait for the rogue to pick the lock when I can just cast Knock?  Why wait for the Ranger to track them when I can just cast Locate Person?  And so on.  FC is better about that than 3e was, but spells like that move in the direction of making the Medicine and Survival skills pointless to have.

Also, why does Living Gauge have a duration of Concentration?  What is the point of having the spell continue?  Surely no mage will ever want to sit around concentrating on tomorrow's weather.
Mage: "It's starting to rain."
Mage's Friend: *looks outside, sun is shining, birds are chirping* "No it's not."
Mage: "Tomorrow it is."
Friend: "I don't know why I spend time with you."

Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 03:27:08 PM »

I'm not sure it's overly powerful, per se.  My concern in this regard would be that historically, wizards have a tendency to make all of the other classes redundant.  Why wait for the rogue to pick the lock when I can just cast Knock?  Why wait for the Ranger to track them when I can just cast Locate Person?  And so on.  FC is better about that than 3e was, but spells like that move in the direction of making the Medicine and Survival skills pointless to have.

Also, why does Living Gauge have a duration of Concentration?  What is the point of having the spell continue?  Surely no mage will ever want to sit around concentrating on tomorrow's weather.

I completely understand the concern about stomping over other classes abilities, and FC does this very well by having the spells there to do those things other classes can do but as higher level spells.
I don't see this as a very powerful spell, it gives the ability to make a successful Knowledge check about the upcoming weather.

As to Concentration it is a hang over from Rolemaster, I guess Instant Duration would be better.
Perhaps adding in an area and shortening the time frame for prediction would ease the power.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 04:03:08 PM »

It's powerful because it, in most games, dictates the GMs use of weather complications.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 04:31:38 PM »

It's powerful because it, in most games, dictates the GMs use of weather complications.

I haven't had much use of the Weather Complications so maybe that is why I don't see it as so powerful.

The idea of the spell is basic information, more along the lines of it's going to rain, rather than I'm going to have a 2AD rain effect come in the 2nd scene.

In my campaign I would run that the knowledge there is rain would decrease the cost of activating Weather Complications as the players should have a chance to prepare for the known event of rain.

Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 04:44:48 PM »

A couple more spells.

Sly Ears comes from Rolemaster and Darkvision is both a DnD and Rolemaster spell.
Darkvision is currently Level 2 mostly due to duration and generally more usefulness seen at my table.

Again I am not quite sure on the level so any feedback gladly welcomed.

Sly Ears
Effect: One character hearing range doubles and he gains a +4 magic bonus with related awareness and Perception checks.

Darkvision
Level : 2 Shapeshifting
Duration: 10 Minute per Casting Level (Dismissible)
Effect: One character may ignore all ambient light penalties
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: