Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 29, 2014, 11:16:04 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  [TheLongRoad] The Road to Thustrata
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [TheLongRoad] The Road to Thustrata  (Read 11679 times)
Catodon
Control
******
Posts: 1944



View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 04:15:23 PM »

i think he was going to run just the one adventure, though i will let him speak for himself on that.
My basic idea was to run the first, then pass to someone else, then run the second etc. I.e. I'll do odd numbered adventures and guest referees to do even numbered ones. Also between adventures players can bow out and we restock our PC number with new player to six.
THe idea is regular injections of people will keep the campign running a long time.
Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
LordKruelos
Handler
*****
Posts: 998



View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 05:19:40 PM »

i think he was going to run just the one adventure, though i will let him speak for himself on that.
My basic idea was to run the first, then pass to someone else, then run the second etc. I.e. I'll do odd numbered adventures and guest referees to do even numbered ones. Also between adventures players can bow out and we restock our PC number with new player to six.
THe idea is regular injections of people will keep the campign running a long time.

Right. I'm just offering a concurrently played different scenario, separated by time and space far to the south of the sea of ice (unless we decide differently down the road). The map is cribbed from a fan-interpretation of FR, but that is easily ignored for the purposes of the game.

It's a convenient opening for generic fantasy, traveling either along with a caravan or having recently left or walking to rejoin, etc...
Logged
Catodon
Control
******
Posts: 1944



View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 04:10:06 AM »

Love to add a character btw but unfortunatly as a referee of one pbp, a player in three others and running a fortnightly realspace game, and yeh that work thing, I just can't right now.
(unless the other 3 pbp remain as dormant as they have been for the last few weeks...)
Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
LordKruelos
Handler
*****
Posts: 998



View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 08:16:47 AM »

As the riders come up over the rise ahead they slow, then pause, at the sight of Vár and the powerfully muscled black Vargyr ready in the center of the road, Wallace, whip unfurled, on their flank.

The leader of the horsemen rides forward and greets you, his eyes scanning cautiously from Vár, to Wallace, lingering a moment on Shadefire, then returning to Vár:

Quote
Well met, travelers. I am Florin; my men and I are the true protectors of the people of Thustrata.
I have news that may interest such stout travelers as yourselves.

A strange fever is stalking Thustrata by night, catching the folk asleep and leaving them trapped in their slumber. The Dream Fever magic comes from Dagger Falls where the usurper Sheriff Jax holds sway.
Any who can put an end to the fever will have earned my thanks and my gold.

A word of caution, though -- beware of the Sheriff. Sheriff Jax  is a lackey of the Guild of Foxes, a coward and a blackmailer, but he is not a man to be crossed lightly.

The man who calls himself Florin holds his reins with one hand, resting the other on his sword hilt. One rider
watches back down the trail while Florin waits for your reply.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 08:23:07 AM by LordKruelos » Logged
Fiendbasher
Agent
***
Posts: 199


Good ≠ Nice


View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 11:47:09 AM »

Vár takes the leader's solitary approach as a sign that he wishes to parlay, and lowers his spear... though he keeps it in hand. The Vargyr however, leaves his weapons on display... passing his tongue through his still-bared teeth to lick his nose. Perhaps unnervingly, there seems to be no form of physical restraint holding Grimmar back; no bridle or rein at all on his head, and the 'saddle' he wears is little more than a harness of leather straps. Still, neither of them makes an aggressive move as the group listens to Florin speak.

Quote
Once Florin seems to be finished talking, Vár speaks up. "This Jax sounds like the sort of enemy it isn't wise to leave alive behind you." He quirks a tight-lipped grin. "I have three questions. I'll make them short since you seem to be in a hurry. First: What is the name of your order. Second: where do we find you if we solve your problem, and last but not least... who are you fleeing from?"

Vár casts a glance toward his allies... they certainly have room to voice their own questions or concerns as well if they chose to.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:38:17 AM by Fiendbasher » Logged

"I knew you were going to say that..."
LordKruelos
Handler
*****
Posts: 998



View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 12:31:52 PM »

Once Florin seems to be finished talking, Vár speaks up. "This Jax sounds like the sort of enemy it isn't wise to leave alive behind you." He quirks a tight-lipped grin. "I have three questions. I'll make them short since you seem to be in a hurry. First: What is the name of your order. Second: where do we find you if we solve your problem, and last but not least... who are you fleeing from?"

The leader chuckles in his throat and responds:
Quote
"You're quick to the point. I like that in a warrior.

As I said, my men are the true protectors of the people of Thustrata. The Sheriff keeps his men close and his troops patrol the area around Dagger Falls, but do not venture further into the dale. As long as the caravan routes remain open, Jax's masters care little what happens to the small folk.

My men travel the dale and aid the folk where we can, but we have not the men to besiege the walls of Dagger Falls and the Sheriff's mercenaries make giving pitched battle a loser's gambit. For now we bide our time and gather our strength.

As Florin finishes speaking, the rider watching the trail behind them gives a low whistle.

The grim chuckle returns to Florin's throat, he spits a curse and continues, waving his men forward:
Quote
"Speak of the devil and he shall appear. We are even now pursued by one of the Sheriff's patrols, so I cannot tarry longer."

"When you succeed, make your way to the Red Rock Tavern and ask for Loudon the Cooper. May the gods smile upon you!

And with that, Florin and his small band ride past.
Logged
Jigger
Jr. Agent
**
Posts: 75



View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2012, 10:18:31 PM »

Quote
"So we choose stopping a dark magical disease, avoiding an evil reeve, and defeating the guild of foxes; or we can catch a fugitive for a backwoods sheriff. Yeah, my life hasn't been interesting enough yet. I vote we side with the crazy vigilantes, at least they sound more interesting.", Wallace says.

"Delaying tactics then?", he says to the others, waiting for their votes.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 02:15:35 AM by Jigger » Logged

What the blex are you starring at berk? Are you going to rattle your bone box or just keep piking around?
Fiendbasher
Agent
***
Posts: 199


Good ≠ Nice


View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2012, 11:23:05 PM »

Vár growls something under his breath, and Grimmar rumbles, casting a glance in the direction of the second wave of oncoming riders.
 
Quote
"Fair close to what I was thinking," Vár says, after hearing Wallace's contribution. "We should get to cover quickly if we can... any course of action we take will probably have us wanting to see them before they see us... if we want them to see us at all."

He guides Grimmar off the road and peers about for sufficient cover for the group while listening if Shadefire has anything to add.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:39:12 AM by Fiendbasher » Logged

"I knew you were going to say that..."
Jigger
Jr. Agent
**
Posts: 75



View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2012, 11:45:35 PM »

Wallace nods, and produces a small vial from under his glove, and with a shout he hurls it to ground at his own feet.

(click to show/hide)

As the vial breaks, a series of strange mists rises from the broken glass, painting everything they touch with a mishmash of browns and greens. Within seconds he seamlessly works himself into the background, blending in without even having to move. The only thing that seems to give him away is the outline of his profile, but even then his heavy cloaks wonders to obliterate that.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 02:29:35 AM by Jigger » Logged

What the blex are you starring at berk? Are you going to rattle your bone box or just keep piking around?
foproy
Control
******
Posts: 2520


View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 09:26:08 PM »

shadefire whistles and says heal and moves off to the side of the road, into the bushes to find proper concealment.

(click to show/hide)

edit: forgot to add roll.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:29:25 PM by foproy » Logged

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
Fiendbasher
Agent
***
Posts: 199


Good ≠ Nice


View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 10:31:20 AM »

Doing his best to signal to the group the optimal spots to take cover in, Vár then takes his own advice, leaping off Grimmar's back and dropping down behind a small burm of brush and tall grass. He tugs on the vargyr's harness to cue him to hunker down as well. They exchange some quiet snarls and grumbles once they're both under cover, but soon everyone is obscured as best they can from the direction of the road. Vár blends quite well into the landscape, but Grimmar's hulking black form is a little harder to hide... in the building suspense, one can only hope no one looks in his direction.

Quote
"Take your best shot at slowing them down without getting spotted," Vár says to Wallace, who is not far off from his position. "If I'm spotted and there are many of them, I will make a run and try to lead them away. Patrolmen are dogs. They will chase what runs, if they are not very, very well trained." He affords a quick glance toward the road before continuing. "If they spot you making your diversion, we fight. If they spot us and are few, we fight. Woe to them if they spot us." Vár raises his voice loud enough to be sure all his allies can hear, "If this turns into a fight, we must do our best to make sure none of them leave alive. We don't need our opposition knowing we're coming."

He says to Shadefire, "If they do come at us, be ready with your bow, we'll see how many we can take down before they get to us."


Vár gets his own bow ready and holds it in one hand, with three arrows clenched between the fingers. He waits for the riders to draw closer, focused with the a predator's intensity on the road.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 02:40:57 PM by Fiendbasher » Logged

"I knew you were going to say that..."
Jigger
Jr. Agent
**
Posts: 75



View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 10:38:53 AM »

Wallace nods, and produces his component pouch from beneath his cloak.

Quote
"On your signal.", he says grimly.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 02:29:58 AM by Jigger » Logged

What the blex are you starring at berk? Are you going to rattle your bone box or just keep piking around?
LordKruelos
Handler
*****
Posts: 998



View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 03:10:17 PM »

In a flurry of activity that betrays long familiarity with the benefits of going unseen, the travelers take cover, hiding behind swell and brush, blending into the backdrop of the wind-blown grasses.

Shortly, the pounding of hooves becomes audible, growing louder as the pack of riders draws near. Hidden amongst the grass and shadows, Wallace counts at least a score of men on horseback, outfitted in black leathers, with shields and bows slung on their saddles. The horsemen show little sign of slowing or stopping to scout the land, pursuing the unsettled dust on the road ahead signaling the passing of their quarry.

(click to show/hide)
Logged
Fiendbasher
Agent
***
Posts: 199


Good ≠ Nice


View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 10:34:58 PM »

Five to one odds. The kind of odds that make for tales of legend, but often, the kind of tales in which the heroes died. Still, Vár had great confidence in his companions. Whatever was about to happen, he was ready.

As soon as the riders were in view and their measure taken, Vár looked over to Wallace. He thumped his chest twice with a fist and then a short thrust outward of the hand signaled the mage to go with his heart... use his best judgement. Wallace knew the plan and Vár was sure he would act if he was certain enough of success. Vár then grasped onto the vargyr's harness with his free hand.

Grimmar's muscles tensed in coiled readiness. He knew the maneuver Vár was preparing for, they had performed it countless times. Together the two waited, prepared for what was to follow.
Logged

"I knew you were going to say that..."
Jigger
Jr. Agent
**
Posts: 75



View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2012, 11:23:31 AM »

Wallace shakes his head, and mutters a word while lowering himself.

(click to show/hide)

Quote
"No good, not enough time. Next time I'll plan ahead, and dismissed if they look too big. We'll move onto the village and find the cooper.", he says in a harsh whisper.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 02:30:25 AM by Jigger » Logged

What the blex are you starring at berk? Are you going to rattle your bone box or just keep piking around?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  


Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!