Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 23, 2014, 02:06:54 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  [TheLongRoad] The Road to Thustrata
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [TheLongRoad] The Road to Thustrata  (Read 11642 times)
Fiendbasher
Agent

Good ≠ Nice

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2012, 01:55:51 PM »

Tensed and ready, Vár watches as the riders storm past. Once they're over the hill he relaxes... loosing his grip from the vargyr's harness. When he's satisfied they're out of earshot he turns to Wallace.

"Fair enough." Vár grunts. "We're supposed to visit the cooper once we succeed... but Jax is not on to us yet, so perhaps a visit to glean more information would be worthwhile. He likely knows more about what is going on than we do." He stows his bow and arrows, and casts one more wary glance toward the road before rising up. "We are an unknown for the moment. It's a luxury I don't expect to last very long." Vár quirks one of those tight-lipped grins. "On to town then, everyone. Time for some investigating."

Grimmar stands as well, grumbling, and takes a moment to shake the grass out of his fur.

'Hrrreh.... yerrwwrrghnn...' The vargyr snorts, and even without being fluent in his language one could probably guess by context that he meant something along the lines of 'This better be good.'

Vár claps his bestial companion loudly on the shoulder. "Don't worry brother. I'm sure we'll have the right opportunity to show them our strength soon enough."

Grasping Grimmar's harness he pulls himself onto the vargyr's back in one smooth motion, and the two pad back toward the road as one.

"I knew you were going to say that..."
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2012, 02:43:45 PM »

after the riders are out of site, shadefire stands with khelos next to him and returns to the road.
let us visit this town and gleam what we can. from what i hear though this illness and the people who created them are an affront against nature, and must be destroyed.

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2012, 11:14:20 AM »

Once the patrol is well out of sight, the travelers return to the road, continuing down into the Tesh river valley. In perhaps an hour of travel west, the town of Dagger Falls comes into view.

(click to show/hide)

Outskirts of Dagger Falls
From a distance, Dagger Falls appears as a well-fortified, walled town at the edge of the shadow of a rocky spire to the south-west (marked on the map as Eagle's Eyrie). While there are scattered buildings and compounds outside the walls, especially around the ford outside the south-east corner, most of the town is contained within the walls.  Prominently located on a rise at the highest point of town is a reinforced keep and garrison, surrounded by an inner wall.

Dagger Falls Town Gate
Drawing closer to the town, you can see the main gate and gatehouse, flanked on either side by towers half again as tall as the town wall. To Vár's critical eye, the gate and walls are not there for show, and bear weathered marks of siegecraft that are neither fresh nor ancient. Carved in stone relief above the gate, battered and chipped in places, is a house crest unknown to you, yet something about it seems strangely familiar to Wallace.

Ignore the street signs  Wink
Fiendbasher
Agent

Good ≠ Nice

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2012, 02:10:37 AM »

As the town wall draws into view, Vár stops to assess the sight. Scratching the scruff of his chin, he turns to address the others.

"Even the likes of me would probably be allowed within those walls. But the wolven may not. It would probably be best for me to remain out here in the surrounding forest with Grimmar. for now. We can search for anything amiss within the wilds. Khelos can join us if you wish, as well."

He slides off Grimmar's back, his boots stirring up road dust as they impact the ground.

"I can return to the road at dusk and dawn to meet with you and exchange words on our progress. Do you think the two of you can avoid serious trouble in there?" He quirks a feral grin.

"Oh. And if we do part ways temporarily here... be sure to bring us a roast pig when you meet us tonight."

Vár pulls a small bag on a leather cord from around his neck, and tosses it to Wallace. It jingles when (if) he catches it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 02:13:36 AM by Fiendbasher » Logged

foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2012, 07:27:52 AM »

"i am no more akin to the walls and houses within the cities than you are,"  Shadefire says to his companion, "maybe 2 sets of eyes out here are better than one. and if i hunt well we may not need them to bring us any food."

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 08:49:44 AM by foproy » Logged

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
Fiendbasher
Agent

Good ≠ Nice

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2012, 11:53:41 AM »

One corner of Vár mouth tugs upward as he thinks, considering Shadefire's words. After a moment he breaks back into a full grin.

"I have two sets of eyes with me..." he says, clapping Grimmar on the shoulder, and tapping the head of the wolf-skin cape he wore. "We need at least one more on Wallace, though. I'm concerned about him going in there with no one to watch his back. If you would really rather be out here though, I'll have Grimmar back you up. Just don't let him push you around too much."

"Oh and about the roast. Grimmar and I can hunt just fine. He just likes his meat roasted and spiced now and then. Variety tastes good."

'Hrrrrnn...' Grimmar rumbles, his pointed ears and his whiskers turning forward.

"I think you underestimate yourself a bit," Vár says to Shadefire. "You're probably the best out of all of us at talking to people. But if you feel you can accomplish more outside the walls, go with your heart. I will go in, watch Wallace's back. Grimmar will help watch yours. That way I don't think any of us will run into anything we can't handle."

"There are plenty of folk living outside the walls. Try to talk to them as well. They may know things that the people inside the walls do not."

Vár then turns to Grimmar. He grasps the massive vargyr's ruff with both hands and puts his face right up to the beast's muzzle, staring him in the eyes, and the two exchange some gutteral grumbling and growling. Whatever the "conversation" was, it ends with Grimmar licking Vár on the cheek through bared fangs, and Vár giving Grimmar a rough scratch behind the ears and several loud pats on the shoulder. He also pulls the saddlebags off the vargyr's harness and throws them over his shoulder.

"All right! Let's do this. Meet up here at dusk. Or come in and find us, if you find something that won't wait."

With that, the wild man begins stalking toward the town gate.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 12:11:19 PM by Fiendbasher » Logged

LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2012, 02:21:23 PM »

In through the Front Gate

As the travelers approach the front gate, they can see people allowed relatively easy access in and out of the town, Merchants and locals alike move freely, but obvious visitors are perhaps questioned and attractive women are heckled.

On Vár's approach, the guards notably stiffen but don't reach for their weapons. Indeed, there seem to be a range of folk moving within the walls going about their business.

"And who are you, then?

Ca, he's a big one inn't he? Think he's one of those reinforcements they've been talking about?

Hush your yap!

"Go on, state your business."

Requests for lodging get directed to The Teshford Arms, the large Inn right across the ford (#13 on the map) . The Teshford Arms is the only inn open for business in Dagger Falls.

I would like each PC to pick and narrate 1 skill check for your actions in town on Day 1 (ie the afternoon of arrival)

[[Saturday or Sunday morning I'm going to post the next turn]]
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 03:20:14 PM by LordKruelos » Logged
Jigger
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2012, 09:50:13 AM »

“Just an old vet, on his way to healers in the north.”, he says revealing the burn scars on his arms. "This is my bodyguard, Var. The clerics sent him along to keep me company. We're just passing through, and will only be in the area for a few days at most."

Wallace plays pilgrim for now. Putting a pebble in his boot to remind him to limp, he hides his gear and hobbles his way to the inn. Once there, he uses his cover as a pilgrim to steer conversations toward disusing healers and disease, to see if he can confirm the fever dreams.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 02:10:18 AM by Jigger » Logged

What the blex are you starring at berk? Are you going to rattle your bone box or just keep piking around?
Fiendbasher
Agent

Good ≠ Nice

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2012, 10:28:58 AM »

As he moves through town, Vár just has a way of carrying himself that brings to mind a lion at the watering hole. He is surrounded by prey, but they know he is not here for them; in spite of the difference between them, but keenly aware of it, both go about their business.

As if picking up on this metaphor subconsciously, many of the townsfolk seem to play along. Everywhere he goes, he is aware of eyes on him. The meek give him a wide berth and often avoid meeting his gaze. The strong watch him with stern or level expression, taking his measure should he be trouble.

As he travels with Wallace, Vár carefully takes note of the meek, the strong, and especially the fellow predators. The meek he gives plenty of breathing room... he keeps Wallace in sight when he talks with such people, but does his best to stay far enough away to allow them to be comfortable. With the stern and the predatory, he stays nearby... and though he has tied a leather sheath around the head of his spear to show peaceful intent and his demeanor seems calm and confident, the weapons are always near at hand.

Vár does his best to gauge the intent and reactions of the folk that Wallace decides to speak with, as well as suggesting questions to pursue, if he thinks of any.

(click to show/hide)

LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2012, 04:17:20 PM »

Town Gate

Quote from: Wallace
“Just an old vet, on his way to healers in the north.”, he says revealing the burn scars on his arms. "This is my bodyguard, Var. The clerics sent him along to keep me company. We're just passing through, and will only be in the area for a few days at most."

(click to show/hide)

Quote from: Gate Sargeant
“That's quite a pet you have there. Start no trouble and tell Olavia over at the Arms to give you the Veteran's discount. "

Passing Among the Crowd

As he moves through town, Vár just has a way of carrying himself that brings to mind a lion at the watering hole. He is surrounded by prey, but they know he is not here for them; in spite of the difference between them, but keenly aware of it, both go about their business.

Vár is not the only orc-blood mingling in the crowd, but he is a lion amidst alley cats. Everywhere Vár goes, he is aware of eyes on him. The meek are more than willing to give the mighty warrior room, the strong note the passing of a warrior that the crowd parts for. The meek give him a wide berth and often avoid meeting his gaze. The strong watch him closely, taking his measure.

The Teshford Arms

Wallace plays pilgrim for now. Putting a pebble in his boot to remind him to limp, he hides his gear and hobbles his way to the inn. Once there, he uses his cover as a pilgrim to steer conversations toward disusing healers and disease, to see if he can confirm the fever dreams.

The town is rife with gossip and tense with the stress of living with an unknown plague hitting one's neighbors at random, and any of a dozen villains are blamed for the current woes depending on the teller and the proximity of watch patrols. Each PC overhears at least one rumor simply by listening to the villagers gossip, Wallace adds extra rumors from actively soliciting them.

(click to show/hide)

As he travels with Wallace, Vár carefully takes note of the meek, the strong, and especially the fellow predators.

Vár does his best to gauge the intent and reactions of the folk that Wallace decides to speak with, as well as suggesting questions to pursue, if he thinks of any.

The Sherriff seems to have at least 2 different mercenary sigils in town, orcish and human mercenaties, in addition to the Town watch, and the Sherrif's own guard.

Shadefire
are the outlying farms afflicted by the fever, and if so can i use the medicine skill as a synergy to investigate by offering aid to sick villagers?
i has going to have him attempt some treatments, and ask questions as he goes.

(click to show/hide)

Asking among the folk Shadefire is readily accepted by a distraught family, one uncle missing, his daughter feverish and asleep. The druid is brought into the family home to examine the remaining victim.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 04:20:01 PM by LordKruelos » Logged
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2012, 04:55:14 PM »

shadefire steps into the home and kneels down next to the stricken patient, as he examines her he begins asking questions.

" what has your lord done about this plauge? has he sent healers? is the sherif sending people to do anything with the body's?...

(click to show/hide)

LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2012, 09:14:53 PM »

Jax is the unpopular military enforcer of a province under siege. His troops control the area surrounding Dagger Falls, but do not venture further into the dale. As long as the caravan routes remain open, his merchant (and worse) masters care little what happens in the hinterlands of the Dale.

Be that as it may, some family members of the sick speak of several visits by local healers at the Sheriff's behest, but no definite answers. The herald spoke in the square a week or more ago of messengers the Sheriff has sent sent to bring aid.

Recently, the Sheriff has had to enforce his will on the Dalefolk who think that he is somehow responsible for their recent troubles: dozens have been jailed or whipped.

As Shadefire treats the young girl, feverish in her slumber, a poultice packed to draw out the fever and the druid's herbs, steeped in a bowl by the sleeper's head, he has some limited success, as the sleeper stirs, moans, and finally comes half-awake:

What's going on? Where am I? Am I sleeping? Did I die?
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2012, 09:34:55 AM »

"no dear you are not dead, nor for the moment are you sleeping,." responds to the child before looking to her parents," could you go and prepare some chicken or vegetable broth please, i am sure it has been a while since she has eaten."
(click to show/hide)

Fiendbasher
Agent

Good ≠ Nice

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2012, 02:33:38 PM »

After hearing the rumors, Vár begins looking for some particular details. He insists on swinging by the Red Rock, to see if indeed its beams have sprouted... and if so, with what kind of flowers. When in the Teshford Arms, he pauses to examine the beams there as well, looking for mold or any other unusual growth.

Aquiring a wooden cup he also scoops some water out of the horse's trough, although at the time he is unsure of what to do with it other than give it a good sniff.

(click to show/hide)

LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2012, 03:07:09 PM »

Shadefire

For all of Shadefire's efforts, while the girl is not asleep, she seems dazed and confused, struggling to answer even the most simple of questions, answering only in disconnected fragments and dreamlike rhymes. Even the simple questions Shadefire has been able to ask have been taxing, and her strength is slipping quickly, the effect of the druid's fortifying herbs being short-lived as the girl's responses grow more dreamlike, falling back toward unconsciousness.

When morning comes,
To morning we go,
Back we are called
to caverns below.

Vár  

The Red Rock just to the north of town (#12 on the map) is a dismal dive, drab and in poor repair, which makes the leaves and blossoms seemingly growing from the timbers and beams of the tavern appear even more out of place. This ramshackle tavern is frequented by folk of the surrounding countryside far more than by those who dwell within the town's walls.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 07:53:25 PM by LordKruelos » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: