Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 26, 2014, 06:19:11 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  [TheLongRoad] The Road to Thustrata
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [TheLongRoad] The Road to Thustrata  (Read 11450 times)
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: July 03, 2012, 03:53:54 PM »

Sainrith "there may not be a way through, this reeks of unseelie magicks"

Knowledge Check
1d20+2=6

Sainrith has seen some of Fey blood be able to pass effortlessly through the thorniest of bushes, though he doesn't have the knack himself.

"There must be a way through." Var begins to search the area, see if he can find any hidden method of opening the way or finding a secret passage.

Grimmr looks at the door, Grimmr growls at the door, unless either of these provoke some sort of response he'll pad back a little ways to check we'rthey're not looping back on us.
(click to show/hide)

Var thinks of several ways through, though he is certain this is a magical wall of briars and to force one's way through is like to mean a scratchy and painful slog forward.
One could burn it, and foul the air (+1 AD to Shadefire, not Wallace (my mistake)), cut through it, dig around it? Could a Wizard dispel it? Var isn't sure.

Grimmr again seems to be sniffing at one side of the passage, where again the upper corners of the wall where it meets the ceiling are again occasionally pockmarked by small holes and cracks, like in the Wine Cellar.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:04:50 AM by LordKruelos » Logged
spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 03, 2012, 04:15:49 PM »

On the map of the mushroom cavern, it looked like there were alternative routes? Maybe one of them loops around?
I'd rather not burn through or spend all our effort cutting through unless there's no other option.
tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 03, 2012, 05:33:14 PM »

One could burn it, and foul the air (Wallace +1 AD)
I take this to mean I could spend an action die to burn through?  I'd rather not if we can avoid it, I only have 2 left, and I hold being able to breath as a higher priority than getting through the wall.

"I don't think we'll have much luck getting through that thicket.  I'd say we should try the other tunnel and see where it leads.  There's not much hope that we'll catch up with them before they can sound the alarm, so there's no sense in rushing."  Wallace walks over to where Grimmar is sniffing at the wall and has a look.  "What have you found here, Grimmar?"
Wallace

If Grimmar's bit of wall doesn't prove to be interesting, Wallace will walk over to the last tunnel to see how it looks.
(click to show/hide)

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: July 03, 2012, 11:25:01 PM »

Sainrith
Sainrith dejected ”Well if these are unseelie fey our quarry has likely passed through these briars. As there is no rush we best make quiet the dead ” With that he strolls over to the nearest corpse and begins a grissley decapitation with his knife. ”Who will claim which heads?” he asks of the others.
(click to show/hide)

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 04, 2012, 07:28:02 AM »

On the map of the mushroom cavern, it looked like there were alternative routes? Maybe one of them loops around?
I'd rather not burn through or spend all our effort cutting through unless there's no other option.

Channeling my inner MUD
From the Mushroom Cavern, you had exits (not counting the rubble-strewn tunnel you came through) to the North East (which you took), North West (which led visibly downward), the South West (which, since Khelos ran through it, you can tell somehow connects back to the original branch in the tunnel.
spinningdice
Control

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 07, 2012, 08:01:48 AM »

Back the other way then (NW)
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: July 07, 2012, 10:56:24 PM »

NW sounds good

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 07, 2012, 11:16:14 PM »

works for me.

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 10, 2012, 08:12:37 AM »

The heroes backtrack their steps, returning to the Mushroom Cavern, then taking the North-West passage, the tunnel leading steadily downwards, with a distant sound of water. Perhaps a hundred yards down the tunnel, Sainrith, again in the lead, comes upon a battered, still, body of a horror of the deeps, similar in appearance to the creature the party fought in the crypts above, yet almost twice the size.

Beyond the dead insect-creature, the tunnel continues, sloping steeply downward. You can hear roaring water in the distance. Following the tunnel deeper brings the sound ever closer until you find yourselves standing here, your torchlight flickering across a swiftly moving underground river.

The Underground River

Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: July 10, 2012, 03:29:05 PM »

Sainrith halts 20' from the river and eyes it suspiciously. He readies his bow "That abomination was killed by something, careful fellows"

(click to show/hide)

"I just do eyes"
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 10, 2012, 06:04:59 PM »

Sainrith halts 20' from the river and eyes it suspiciously. He readies his bow "That abomination was killed by something, careful fellows"
Note: the creature seems to have been dead for several days, apparently from multiple visible wounds. The warriors in the group note wounds that correspond to weapons from man-height, not the smaller Woses

Does the tunnel continue on the other side? OR Does the tunnel follow the river? How wide is the river?
From 20' from the water, it's very hard for you to tell.
spinningdice
Control

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 11, 2012, 07:05:43 AM »

Var goes ahead, keeping a couple of feet away from the river. If there's somewhere to cross to then it's an option - otherwise I don't think swimming down a (presumably) freezing cold river that in all probability has more of those creatures in it.
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 11, 2012, 10:39:58 AM »

The water is swiftly moving and at least as deep as a man's chest but surprisingly clear other than the mist above it, with the water flowing from left to right. (God, I sound like a football announcer on the radio)

To the left, as the light grows closer, Var notices a shelflike cliff to the left and rubble from what looks to have been a natural arch leading (you think) to the cliff ledge on the other side of the river, leading (you think) farther westward. A small outcropping, barely more than a narrow ledge, just above the water level, 30' below where the arch might have once led, lies in the water on the opposite side.

To the right, the water rushes swiftly into the darkness beyond the lamplight.
tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 11, 2012, 06:47:55 PM »

Wallace walks up to the water's edge and holds the lantern up to have a better look.  While he considers the options, he draws out his pipe and lights it from the lantern.  He takes note of the smoke from the pipe in between puffs, watching for a sign of moving air and a suggestion of which way to go.
Wallace

(click to show/hide)

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 13, 2012, 08:59:56 AM »

+1 AD to Wallace/TFWFH for drawing that initial map.
Here's an update to your map.

Map

What they saw there.
Var notices: The ceiling is not even at all, it varies wildly even in what bit he can see now.  If the river is moving this fast, that probably things get a low narrower further down.

Sainrith notices: The ledge is not very long, nor wide. It extends perhaps 20' away from the cave entrance you're in.

Shadefire notices: While there was likely once a natural arch connecting the two cliffs (the one aside the cave entrance you stand in, the other on the opposite side of the river) it has been unnaturally removed. Large chunks of rock are visible underneath the water beneath where they were once part of the arch.

Wallace notices: The air flow largely seems to follow the water-flow, but with the varying ceiling, the small amount of smoke that rises up high enough seems to float up as it dissipates, with no directional air at the higher levels of the underground river tunnel.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:01:42 AM by LordKruelos » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: