Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 09:58:12 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Excel Based Character Sheet
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Excel Based Character Sheet  (Read 8502 times)
cjs65
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2012, 07:04:13 PM »

I've discovered something of an annoyance... in the Equipment section, if you enter say, 5.5, it defaults to date (may 5th) rather than numbers, and since the sheet is locked I cannot change the formatting. This kinda buggers up the rather nifty weight section sadly...

That's odd, doesn't happen for me... Can I ask what regional settings you use and which version of Excel and Windows? I have used the sheet for more than a dozen characters, and they all have fractional equipment weights and this has never happened. It may be that a cell format change will do the job. If you PM me your email address I can try a fix and send it to you to test.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2012, 07:17:51 PM »

I've discovered something of an annoyance... in the Equipment section, if you enter say, 5.5, it defaults to date (may 5th) rather than numbers, and since the sheet is locked I cannot change the formatting. This kinda buggers up the rather nifty weight section sadly...

That's odd, doesn't happen for me... Can I ask what regional settings you use and which version of Excel and Windows? I have used the sheet for more than a dozen characters, and they all have fractional equipment weights and this has never happened. It may be that a cell format change will do the job. If you PM me your email address I can try a fix and send it to you to test.

In my experience that problem is solved by changing the cell format to "text."

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
cjs65
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2012, 03:27:15 PM »

A quick update on this: The problem was due to Antilles using Norwegian regional settings and typing 5.5 into an equipment weight field. The problem is that with Norwegian and several other settings, the decimal point character is , <comma> not . <full stop/period> and . <full stop/period> is used as a date separator.

Thus 5.5 is interpreted by Windows/Excel as 5th May of the current year. Using 5,5 causes no problems and is interpreted as 'five point five'. I tried to 'fix' this with a cell format change but realised afterwards that this was for display purposes only and had no effect on entry of values. So, to cut a long story short, I don't propose to issue a new version yet. People using UK/US/several other regional settings will never even see this.
VisualStatic
Control

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2012, 02:50:57 AM »

I think I found a bug on linked skills. I'm trying to create a mage with the sorcerer specialty which pairs Intimidate and spellcasting.  When I select spellcasting from the drop down in the linked from column it does bring in my skill ranks.  But it I use another skill it works fine.

--
Heroes don't die, they just reload.
--
A Master of the Dark Arts of System Administration.
cjs65
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2012, 02:39:12 PM »

I think I found a bug on linked skills. I'm trying to create a mage with the sorcerer specialty which pairs Intimidate and spellcasting.  When I select spellcasting from the drop down in the linked from column it does bring in my skill ranks.  But it I use another skill it works fine.

Good spot. I've managed to replicate the problem and I'll investigate and fix it as soon as possible. I have an idea what the problem may be.
cjs65
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2012, 05:18:35 PM »

OK, problem found and fixed. I think it was due to Excel's Vlookup function expecting lookup table keys to be in alphabetical order, and Spellcasting is the oddity as it's on the end of the list. I've coded in a specific check for Spellcasting, and it seems to work now.

I've sent a replacement copy to Pat and Alex to go onto the downloads page. VisualStatic, if you'd like a copy immediately, PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2012, 05:38:48 PM »

OK, problem found and fixed. I think it was due to Excel's Vlookup function expecting lookup table keys to be in alphabetical order, and Spellcasting is the oddity as it's on the end of the list. I've coded in a specific check for Spellcasting, and it seems to work now.

There is an optional TRUE/FALSE argument that can be used for vlookup.  If the argument is omitted or set to TRUE, excel assumes the list is sorted and, if it can't find the lookup value, it looks up the next highest value on the search list.

If that argument is set to false, it will only return a value based on an exact match and throw an error if there is no such match.  In this case, the look up values do not need to be sorted.

If "Spellcasting" was appended to the end of an otherwise sorted skill list, vlookup was probably pulling information from Survival since Spellcraft should have been after Sneak but before Survival in the list.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
cjs65
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2012, 07:20:53 PM »

There is an optional TRUE/FALSE argument that can be used for vlookup.  If the argument is omitted or set to TRUE, excel assumes the list is sorted and, if it can't find the lookup value, it looks up the next highest value on the search list.

If that argument is set to false, it will only return a value based on an exact match and throw an error if there is no such match.  In this case, the look up values do not need to be sorted.

If "Spellcasting" was appended to the end of an otherwise sorted skill list, vlookup was probably pulling information from Survival since Spellcraft should have been after Sneak but before Survival in the list.

You're absolutely right, I left the 'FALSE' off of the Vlookup in this function. Why, I don't know as it has been used extensively in other parts of the workbook to make customised lists work!

It was actually picking up the Sneak value as the range lookup (TRUE) uses the next smallest value.
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2012, 11:05:16 PM »

It was actually picking up the Sneak value as the range lookup (TRUE) uses the next smallest value.

You, sir, are correct.  I misread the description in the vlookup docs.  It said "next largest value that is less than lookup_value" but I just read "next largest value" while I was skimming it and missed the "less than" portion.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
cjs65
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2012, 02:22:02 AM »

The new version is live on the Downloads page. Thanks Pat!
cjs65
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2013, 05:21:48 AM »

Antilles has kindly given me a reminder that the new classes need to be added to the character sheet. I'll get onto it as soon as possible and try to get a new version to Pat by the end of the week at the latest.
cjs65
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2013, 02:33:14 PM »

Well, that was an easy change after all. The new version (1.10) has been sent to Pat to go onto the downloads page.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2013, 07:29:54 PM »

Well, that was an easy change after all. The new version (1.10) has been sent to Pat to go onto the downloads page.

Updated.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Salvatos
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2013, 07:55:53 PM »

Thank you very much to both Smiley
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

Do I look like a people person?

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2013, 08:30:39 AM »

I've been working on converting some Pre-gens to FC using the sheet, and there is a couple of things I can't find, or that I'm sure how to input... The first is mostly cosmetic, but still useful, namely type. The second is natural attacks. The NPC I was converting got Gore I from Devilish Heritage, but it's not in the weapons list and I can't input it because the table won't accept a weapon that requires 0 hands...

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: