Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 28, 2014, 10:15:09 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Natural 1s and 20s clarification
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Natural 1s and 20s clarification  (Read 391 times)
Lifer4700
Operative

Professional Thread Necro

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2013, 11:34:15 AM »

I've read many times to "forget what I know" when it comes to all other game systems, and I'm doing my best...

However!

I just want an official clarification about natural 1s and 20s.  (Spycraft 2.0 laid it out plainly, Fantasy Craft makes no mention either way)

Does a natural 1 always miss, and does a natural 20 always hit?
My guess is "NO", since there is no mention of that kind of mechanic whatsoever in the FC book that I've found.

(why not clearly spell it out for us "other" d20 players, as it was done in Spycraft?)
TheMadGent
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 11:46:19 AM »

You are correct in assuming that 20s aren't automatic successes and 1s aren't automatic failures. The game does make it semi-explicit because it states that a natural 20 is only a threat if the check succeeds (though I guess this could be read as mattering only for the expanded threat/error ranges).
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 12:22:03 PM »

However, a fair number of people prefer the hard coded 5% chance of defeat/victory of the OGL's version

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 12:40:06 PM »

However, a fair number of people prefer the hard coded 5% chance of defeat/victory of the OGL's version

I'm not one of them.

However, on a tangent, I DO prefer to have the potential for an error if the check is within the error range.  Success plus an error can be very interesting from a story telling point of view.

Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 12:47:57 PM »

However, on a tangent, I DO prefer to have the potential for an error if the check is within the error range.  Success plus an error can be very interesting from a story telling point of view.

Someone rolls a successful attack check with a 1 on their d20 (Go to the 31s mark if it starts at the beginning)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:49:41 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Lifer4700
Operative

Professional Thread Necro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 01:51:06 PM »

I am brand new to Fantasy Craft, and I am actually looking forward to NOT using the auto fail/succeed rules.

Of course, as I'm just flipping randomly through the book, I find this snippet on page 361, under "Let Them Win"
It's the first sentence.

----------------------
Statistically, 5% of all rolls fail (with a natural 1), which makes
sense in isolated situations especially dire, desperate ones.
----------------------
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 04:40:08 PM by Lifer4700 » Logged
Jackal_mkII
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 07:33:02 PM »

At the end of the day, rule in favor of what suits your preferred playstyle.

http://jackaldice.blogspot.com/  Noob gamer reconciles 4 years of gaming observations. Updates Wednesdays.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 08:32:44 PM »

I am brand new to Fantasy Craft, and I am actually looking forward to NOT using the auto fail/succeed rules.

Of course, as I'm just flipping randomly through the book, I find this snippet on page 361, under "Let Them Win"
It's the first sentence.

----------------------
----------------------

Which would be a mistake. As the rules stand there's no auto success or failure.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 08:10:12 AM »

It's the first sentence.

----------------------
----------------------

Which would be a mistake. As the rules stand there's no auto success or failure.

I'm with Krensky as this one.  I'm NOT a typical Fantasy RPG-er.  And I'm a convert from D&D with ALOT of hesitation.  (the mythos just doesn't typically hook me.)  That said, I REALLY enjoy FanastyCraft.  And I would second, third, thirteenth the idea of leaving out the auto win / loss.  It makes the Action Dice that much more fun.  And.. "Let them win." Yes.  You can always fudge the DC if the players are in a bad spot, but just seeing a 20 shouldn't let them go "Phew!  We won."  There should be some debate.  "Well.. we got a 20. ... but I've only got a +6.  Is 26 enough?  Action Dice?Huh?  CRAP!"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: