Author Topic: Statting a new Special NPC - Lord of the Feast  (Read 535 times)

jameswllorimer

• Operative
  • "Alea iacta est" - The die is cast
    • View Profile
Statting a new Special NPC - Lord of the Feast
« on: March 16, 2016, 01:48:52 AM »
So I picked up a random job lot of miniatures at a jumble sale the other day and found this little gem in amongst some of the dross. I'm really taken with the mini and after some reading on the internet (and refreshing my WarmaHordes lingo), I was hoping to convert it into a Special NPC adversary for some of my players... and therein lies the problem! I want it to be a decent Big Bad.. most likely a herald of the the Final Big Bad (which I'm thinking might be something akin to the Wild Hunt from the Witcher series). HOWEVER, whenever I stat up a SNPC they always turn out a bit.. well anemic.

So oh wonderful fellow Crafties, any suggestions as to how to make the following sing as a memorable Big Bad? I currently have:-
Lord of the Feast (Medium Fey Undead Walker 107 XP):
Str 16, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 10; SZ M (11, Reach 1); Spd 30 ft. ground;
Init IV; Atk VI; Def III; Resilience VII; Health V; Comp III;
Skills: Athletics VI, Intimidate VII, Notice VI, Survival VI;
Qualities: blindsight, chameleon (forest/jungle II), devour, dramatic entrance, dread, everlasting, monstrous defense II, natural spell (Tree Walk 6).

Blindsight and Tree Walk are the Raven's abilities and influence, Devour is suppose to represent the Heart Tokens he can use to boost, and Chameleon II is his natural stealthiness. I can't figure out if the Greatsword feat tree fits, and how to emulate his Terror ability (or do we think the Horror type works for that?)

Thoughts??

TheVastator

• Handler
  • Everything is better with pirates!
    • View Profile
Re: Statting a new Special NPC - Lord of the Feast
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 06:40:49 AM »
Terror: any Scare spell used as natural spell ability.

Ares

• Control
  • deus ex machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 08:34:17 AM »
I'd go horror type + glint of madness feat. Maybe even terrifying mien.
That should be enough to threaten the PCs
Plan B: Use more fire
Creamor

jarvvoitlus

• Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 09:21:24 AM »
Wyrmblade looks like it would be best as a longsword with perhaps Orc, Superior, and maybe keen. Definitely go with Sword feats, at least to mastery. I feel like that would really make him scary both in terms of not only his threats but also mechanically doing a ton of damage and even sending people to the Table of Ouch.
Maybe even make it a magic item, although the power seems to be in the user rather than the weapon so it may not be the best idea. A two-handed sword with Monkey Grip from Spear Basics could be cool too, though I don't know if crowd control is what you're looking for.

I'm not sure if the Raven should be a different character or a weapon. To represent it mechanically, you could treat it as a javelin(s) perhaps, with trip and hook to make it feel more "alive".  Or a separate character.

Bill Whitmore

• Mastermind
  • Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 09:39:44 AM »
On just about any kind of boss you're probably going to want a couple levels of Tough. I've lost bosses on the first round of a fight due to critical hits with an action die added to damage.

You might also check out this thread: http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=3396.0

It talks about the survivability of standard character but a lot of the same techniques will work with special characters.
Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.

jarvvoitlus

• Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 09:44:49 AM »
On just about any kind of boss you're probably going to want a couple levels of Tough. I've lost bosses on the first round of a fight due to critical hits with an action die added to damage.

You might also check out this thread: http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=3396.0

It talks about the survivability of standard character but a lot of the same techniques will work with special characters.
This is completely true, one time I sent a Deep Goose (4 headed fire breathing giant goose) at my party in what was supposed to be a huge fight.
"I draw and fire my blunderbuss and musket"
20, 19, and good damage rolls and the goose goes splat before it can say HONK.

Goodlun

• Handler
  • Yeah thats me with my Judo Gi and an AK-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 04:03:57 PM »
One of the great things about a pen and paper RPG is the ability to adjust on the fly.
So for example adding levels of Tough.
You can always add them or take them away as needed to keep the fight appropriately themed.
Just make sure to adjust the XP accordingly afterwords.