Author Topic: Lancers - Do you play them?  (Read 331 times)

Simus

• Recruit
    • View Profile
Re: Lancers - Do you play them?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 01:54:58 PM »
This may be a more appropriate place to ask than the other thread, but I am trying to wrap my head around the Riding rules while I build this pregen Lancer and this explanation of Maneuvering has me confused.

"Example: Brungil directs his pony to make a running horizontal Jump onto a rising drawbridge. He needs to clear 15 ft. to avoid an unfortunate dip in the moat below (currently filled
with flaming oil). His Maneuver check result is 17, but he suffers a –10 penalty due to the close fire. This translates to 12 ft. of distance. Happily, the pony has a Speed of 40 ft. (1/3 higher than that of an average human), so it clears an additional 4 ft. (for a total of 16 ft.) — just enough to clear the bridge and prepare for a charge into the garrison’s militia."

The part in bold is where my brain stopped working. Why does the Pony go an additional +4 feet for the jump? I know it's because of its 40ft base speed and logically it makes sense that something that can run faster than a person can by extension jump further, but mechanically, why does it get that extra 4 feet?

I am feeling pretty stupid right now.

Nuaurpy

• Handler
  • The Shadow knows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 02:03:52 PM »
The part in bold is where my brain stopped working. Why does the Pony go an additional +4 feet for the jump? I know it's because of its 40ft base speed and logically it makes sense that something that can run faster than a person can by extension jump further, but mechanically, why does it get that extra 4 feet?

From Acrobatics (Jump) "... These values are based on a Speed of 30; for other Speeds, calculate proportionately (e.g. with a Speed of 40, the character jumps 1/3 farther). "

So it had a speed of 60 the jump distance would double, for 90 it would triple.

Simus

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2017, 02:50:53 PM »

From Acrobatics (Jump) "... These values are based on a Speed of 30; for other Speeds, calculate proportionately (e.g. with a Speed of 40, the character jumps 1/3 farther). "

So... at speed 60, you jump an extra +6 feet further, and at 90ft it would be +9 feet further? Sorry I'm a little slow today.

Additionally, the Lancer I am building, I needed to clarify my comprehension of a collection of abilities stacking on one another. As follows:

Cavalier;
Favoured Gear (Mount) Feat: Each time you spend an action die to boost a skill or attack check with it, roll 2 dice and add both to the result. Also, the item can’t be destroyed with a critical miss or failure (though it may still be destroyed by damage). You may switch the item that gains this

Practiced Rider Ability:  If you spend an action die to boost a Ride check and it still fails, you gain the die back after the action is resolved. Against multiple targets you only regain the die if the check fails against all of them

I get that these two are paired for the obvious reason; to promote using your action die without fear of losing it when you do a Ride Check.

But how does this all work in light of attack actions? By virtue of attacking from atop the mount, does Favoured Gear (Mount) apply to, say, a spear thrust or sword slash, or is it only when the Mount itself attacks that the Roll 2 Action Dice and add both apply?

Are there times where a Ride check is used to determine the success or failure of an attack roll, and if that is the case, does Practiced Rider apply?

Nuaurpy

• Handler
  • The Shadow knows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2017, 03:03:57 PM »

So... at speed 60, you jump an extra +6 feet further, and at 90ft it would be +9 feet further? Sorry I'm a little slow today.

The original jump check got 12'. the speed of 40 is 1/3 faster than the normal 30 so he jumps 1/3 farther (1/3 of 12 being 4) if he were moving at 60' he would move twice as fast and thus jump twice as far (24') and at 90 it would be 3 times as far (36ft)

Big_Jim

• Control
  • An integral part of any plan for world domination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 07:28:51 PM »