Author Topic: Ranged weapons on melee range  (Read 319 times)

Theodoran

• Recruit
    • View Profile
Ranged weapons on melee range
« on: December 31, 2015, 01:12:24 AM »
Hello,

I have a little question. Can I fire with a ranged weapon when I'm engaged in melee range.

Thank you for your answers.

ludomastro

• Control
    • View Profile
Re: Ranged weapons on melee range
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 05:47:57 AM »
I can't find anything that prohibits it.  Some GM's may rule that you can do so at a penalty.  I would not.  If you feel like being Legolas, I'll let you.

Krensky

• Control
  • WWTWD?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 08:59:29 AM »
Yes.

By the rules there's no penalty.

If you want one two most common house rules are:

1. The Spycraft 2.0 solution: -4 to hit.
2. The Concentration hack: Firing out of melee is distracting, so you need to make a concentration check.

Number 2 is sort of on the edge of house rules since it's not really a new rule so much as deciding that shooting out of melee is covered by the acting while distracted rules.

I use the Concentration check variant myself, with firing into melee counting as half cover for the target.
We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery

paddyfool

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 04:51:37 AM »
As Krensky said, those are common house rules. EDIT: One nuance that some people go for is to make the penalty / check less harsh for one-handed crossbows and firearms than for other options.

Also, speaking from experience, when I played a bow/ fire lance user, I'd always set up a shot first if I had them out in melee. Most commonly by first tripping an adjacent opponent before shooting them, or at least taking a 5' step back. If you wanted to encourage such play, you could have penalties / concentration checks only apply if you're next to an opponent who's not flat-footed.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 02:37:47 PM by paddyfool »

savaze

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 08:44:10 PM »
I wouldn't apply a penalty, combat and situation awareness go hand and hand. If you wanna go extremely rule heavy you can modify it to your hearts content, but FC isn't setup to simulate real world mechanics. If you wanna go rule heavy apply a penalty to anyone who has been struck & received damage in a round and hasn't taken their action(s).

Mister Andersen

• Control
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 09:51:22 PM »
Give adjacent opponents advantage on disarm checks vs a ranged weapon?

paddyfool

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 03:16:36 AM »
I'm increasingly tempted to go a bit harsher, and apply a non-proficiency penalty for using a ranged weapon (other than via the spike or bludgeon quality) on an adjacent, non-flatfooted opponent, in the same way as if you tried to hurl a melee weapon that lacked the hurl property; it's not what such weapons are made for, after all. Plus a very difficult concentration check for firing out of melee or using load actions while in melee.

Mister Andersen

• Control
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 03:47:03 AM »
I think straight to-hit penalties are are dull way to approach it. Go the disadvantage route and/or ramp up the error range by 4 per range increment