Author Topic: Story-acquired NPC helpers  (Read 434 times)

TKDB

• Handler
    • View Profile
Story-acquired NPC helpers
« on: July 23, 2017, 03:12:11 PM »
How would you handle NPCs that, based on story events and the NPC's particular personality and background, would most reasonably follow along with and assist the party for an extended span of time (potentially multiple adventures)? Functionally akin to a Personal Lieutenant, but with a preexisting statblock which may exceed the budget any PC could muster for that feat (in order to facilitate the NPC's primary function before the events that may cause them to join up with the party), and obtained as a logical consequence of story events?

There's a scene coming up in the adventure my group just started where such a situation may very well occur; it did when I originally ran this campaign in TOG, and given the tendencies my players have shown so far it's likely to play out similarly this time around. Should I just count the NPC as a Prize and handwave the particulars? Or should there be additional costs/restrictions involved -- and if so, (1) what sort? and (2) what if they conflict with what the NPC would logically do in-character?

Big_Jim

• Control
  • An integral part of any plan for world domination.
    • View Profile
Re: Story-acquired NPC helpers
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 04:25:42 PM »
I've always had them take up a prize slot, claim a share of treasure, and (as they are special characters) increase the mob size.

Mister Andersen 2.0

• Operative
  • Heading for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 05:16:40 PM »
I've always had them take up a prize slot, claim a share of treasure, and (as they are special characters) increase the mob size.

This.

TKDB

• Handler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 09:24:46 PM »
Ok, cool, that's about what my gut was telling me. (The share of treasure bit might not necessarily be in-character for this particular NPC to claim herself, but I'm quite confident the PCs -- or at least most of them -- will insist on it on their own.)

Desertpuma

• Control
  • Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th
    • View Profile
    • Crusaders Citadel
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 05:32:52 AM »
A non-player character (NPC) in a game is any character that is not controlled by a player. In video games, this usually means a character controlled by the computer via predetermined or responsive behavior, but not necessarily true artificial intelligence. In traditional tabletop role-playing games the term applies to characters controlled by the gamemaster or referee, rather than another player.

I think we are all aware of this

LSpy Mastermind

Nuaurpy

• Handler
  • The Shadow knows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 01:32:35 AM »
A non-player character (NPC) in a game is any character that is not controlled by a player. In video games, this usually means a character controlled by the computer via predetermined or responsive behavior, but not necessarily true artificial intelligence. In traditional tabletop role-playing games the term applies to characters controlled by the gamemaster or referee, rather than another player.

I think we are all aware of this

I have the feeling someone is trying to get through their first 5 posts