Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2014, 02:05:06 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Excel Based Character Sheet
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Excel Based Character Sheet  (Read 8223 times)
cjs65
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2012, 03:20:44 PM »

I'm currently working on an Excel based character sheet for Fantasy Craft, and as I've not seen anything other than the form-fillable PDF I wondered if anyone else would be interested once it's done?

I've done this many times before for other games (D&D 3.5, D&D 4, Pathfinder, Mongoose Traveller and others) because I hate having to track through a sheet updating it when an attribute score or other vital number changes; I'd rather just let Excel do the work for me. Plus, I just love playing with Excel! I would be interested in any feedback/critique, as I've never shared any of my previous efforts and don't know if there's a 'better' way of doing things. Also, I'm not experienced with FC and may have missed something vital!

The current state is 'mostly done' and it should be ready next week. The difficult stuff has been cracked and I'm just finishing off the boring stuff, really. It's NOT a character generator by any stretch of the imagination but it does cross-reference and auto-update numbers when base values change. I'm already looking ahead to develop it further, having more selectable/auto-filled values, but to do this I would need to use text from the rulebook and don't want to infringe on any copyrights. I must have a good read of the OGL...  As it is I've swiped a copy of the Fantasy Craft logo as appears on the PDF character sheet and I'm using that currently. If I make this public, would I need to strip that out?

Of course, I now fully expect someone to say <A. Person> has already made one and you can find it <here>!  Wink
VisualStatic
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 03:33:01 PM »

Not to be that guy, but..... link   Tongue

--
Heroes don't die, they just reload.
--
A Master of the Dark Arts of System Administration.
cjs65
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 03:40:37 PM »

I saw that one, but according to the last few posts it was never finished. Mine's nothing like that ambitious, by the way!
Dreamstreamer
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 03:51:29 PM »

As it is I've swiped a copy of the Fantasy Craft logo as appears on the PDF character sheet and I'm using that currently. If I make this public, would I need to strip that out?

Fire it off to Pat or Alex. They can tell you exactly what's needed for permission. FYI, it will likely involve inserting a small amount of copyright text.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 08:35:41 PM »

As it is I've swiped a copy of the Fantasy Craft logo as appears on the PDF character sheet and I'm using that currently. If I make this public, would I need to strip that out?

Fire it off to Pat or Alex. They can tell you exactly what's needed for permission. FYI, it will likely involve inserting a small amount of copyright text.

Pretty much, and from the sound of it the spreadsheet's something we could host on our Downloads page, if you like.

Let us know, and good luck with the remaining revisions!

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
Segreant
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 02:30:43 PM »

I've done this sort of thing before (including macro scripting), for 3.5 and Legend of the 5 rings, among others, though only for personal use. I look forward to seeing what you've done and helping out where possible. So far all I've done for FC is simple worksheets for attributes and skills. I'm an FC novice and have been learning the system while working on a character for the new FTF 'FC in Golarion' campaign that Krensky will be starting in a few weeks.
cjs65
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 06:01:59 PM »

I'm still working on this, but had a bit of a setback when my perfectionist half suddenly hated what I'd done. So I've scrapped that and put in many hours on getting it redesigned. It was not helped by the fact that the rules are quite deep, with a few subtle twists I'd missed first time round. Doing this sort of thing is an excellent way of learning the rules! Anyway, I'm now about back to where I was with the first try and now hope to have it done by next week and sent off to Pat for feedback.

One rules question has arisen that I couldn't find an answer to and would appreciate help with:
Exotic weapons require a forte for proficiency, so does that mean the forte bonus is lost when using one of these weapons? In other words, is the progression A) Untrained -4, Proficient -4, Forte (actually Proficient) +0, or is it B) Untrained -4, Proficient -4, Forte +1 ? Or even something else?
Gentry