Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2014, 01:15:10 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [Mistborn] A New Dusk: Fan-Suppliment Alloy of Law
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Mistborn] A New Dusk: Fan-Suppliment Alloy of Law  (Read 2630 times)
oxinabox
Recruit

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2012, 08:19:32 AM »

Hi all,
because of my groups love for Alloy of Law, i've decided to throw together a fan suppliment for it.
(well actually I'm yet to sort out my group, but my one definite player (and prob only who has read the books)  really likes it, as do I as does one ofmy mostlikely players)

I wouldn't be surprised if someone else is doing this, but this one is mine.
(and a good mental exercise if nothing else).

It contains no direct content from anyother source, and is not playable withoutthe Mistborn Adventure game corebook.

Anyway anyone intrested?
it is Early preAlpha - not feature complete.
The rules for Ferrings, twinborn and compounders are in there though:
(Appendix A) discusses possible balance problems (though doesn't go into discussion if compounder are broken))

http://www.2shared.com/document/pqQs2VB9/Alloy_of_Law_Fansuppliment.html

Future versions will include Prop rules for metalminds of same time (Getting 3 gold etc is going to use up extra Prop slots),
and I guess a bit more info on guns. (though I guess the combat system should be able to take care of that without having to diffentate between gun and sword.

EDIT:
Version 0.1.1 (Now with less Math, and weaker Feruchemists)
http://www.2shared.com/document/7AbSKfYy/Alloy_of_Law_Fansuppliment_V01.html
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 03:19:37 AM by oxinabox » Logged

A New Dusk: Alloy of Law Adventure Game
http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=6148
With twinborn, compounders, guns, explosives
---
Please stop titling topics: "Quick Question" etc.
It isn't helpful
oxinabox
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 03:29:17 AM »

Update:
Added Guns.
prob added a bunch of stuff that is useful.

The links below all go to my SVN repository, and will be periodically over written with new version.
Or maybe deleted.
Will give a stable link once have more final version.

Using these rules I have now run 2 on shot games.
Twinborn are cool, componders are mostly OP because feuchamists are OP..

Rules:
http://svn.ucc.asn.au:8080/oxinabox/RPG/A%20New%20Dusk/Alloy%20of%20Law%20Fansuppliment.pdf

Character Sheet (1st page only):
http://oxinabox.ucc.asn.au/files/GameDesignProducts/NewDuskCharacterSheet.pdf

Maps: (colourisations of the map from the book)
http://svn.ucc.asn.au:8080/oxinabox/RPG/A%20New%20Dusk/Maps/World%20Map.svg
and
http://svn.ucc.asn.au:8080/oxinabox/RPG/A%20New%20Dusk/Maps/ALLOY_MAP_1_WORLD-custom.xcf (More complete, but no longer being worked on)

Note: Some of these links may not work in some webbrowsers, (They will come up with lines of code)
but if you right click and say Save As, they work fine.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 08:26:51 AM by oxinabox » Logged

---
It isn't helpful
Aminar
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 01:04:32 PM »

I have to disagree with your starting points for Twinborn and Ferrings.

I've pulled these numbers from the character creation section at the back of the book.

WEAK (2 POINTS)
Hemalurgist with a Tin, Pewter, Zinc, or Brass spike, or any other spike with
a rating of 3
BOOK THREE 553
Creating Your Own Characters
AVERAGE (3 POINTS)
Allomancer with a rating of 5 in one metal and one Stunt
Hemalurgist with a rating 3 spike and one Weak Power (e.g. an Allomancer
with a rating of 4 in one metal and a Tin 3 spike)
STRONG (4 POINTS)
Hemalurgist with a rating 4 spike and one Average Power (e.g. a Mistborn
with a rating of 3 in all metals and a Pewter 4 spike)

These are the relevant bits.

A strong Hero would have rating 4 Feruchemy via spike and a 5 with one stunt.  The spike is not however perfectly balanced with rating 4 feruchemy.  It has a -1 spirit attached bumping the feruchemy to 5.  From there though the player can increase the feruchemy rating dropping the score to 3 or 4.  I prefer to ere on the side of caution and throw it to 3.  Thus a twinborn starts at rank 3 ferring rank 5 misting with a stunt.

A ferring on their own I would start at rank 4 with a free prop for their metalminds(to balance it with being a misting.

As for compounders.  I would start them at 2 feruchemy and 3 allomancy respectively.  Your rules may be a little overcomplicated.

I'd phrase It as this.
When burning a metalmind(which any decent compounder is just going to store in earings and the like to make life easy-(small beads, maybe pieces on a necklace or rings.  Things that can be swallowed.)

A metalmind burns as if it held 10 feruchemical charges for every feruchemical charge stored in the metalmind.  All metalminds have an equivalent burn time to their allomantic metal.  The charges can be consumed faster by flaring but this does not increase the number of charges.  These charges can be stored back in metal minds or used during the time period they are burned during.

Example.

Bob is a gold twinborn.  He swallows his gold ring with 25 feruchemical charges stored.  He flares it the whole time he's burning the ring.  Gold Flares at 1 minute per charge.  Over the next 25 minutes he can store and use up to 250 feruchemical charges.  In each given minute he can use up to 10 from his allomancy and any number he has stored in his metalminds.  The strength in compounding is the huge reserves of feruchemical storage that can be built up, not the constant ability to make things.I mean, say he has resources 4.  He has a cheap gun as a prop and 9 gold metalminds of average size which can be split down to 32 small metalminds for charge equivilancy.  He has 900 charges stored almost constantly after a day of spending his resources picking up some spare metalminds to burn.  With 900 feruchemical gold charges nothing is killing him for a long long time.  And he can replenish his whole stock in 90 minutes.  An hour and a half and he's full again and ready to start shooting himself in the brain for fun.

I didn't take ratings into account for that, I treated it as if it were rank 1 because anything more and things get silly.  In theory you could claim that he can only charge based on his rating in hemalurgy, but I think the limits on what you can draw from a metalmind are enough limitation.  In addition I don't like tying allomancy ratings into it at all because frankly that logical step is that he can burn his allomancy rating times 10 in feruchemical charges per burn and a feruchemist with 30 charges per minute seems scary.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 01:09:18 PM by Aminar » Logged
Aminar
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 01:27:10 PM »

Now, I can see that being broken with Gold, but frankly if you're trying to beat a gold compounder with raw damage you're doing it wrong.  Grapple the skinny punk to the ground with a heavy metal object, a thug, etc.  No matter how you look at it, any Ferring can be taken out pretty easily by not focusing on their strengths.  The most dangerous are Pewter and Steel.  Especially Steel.  A steel Twinborn will be hell on two feet.  Pewter shouldn't be hard to outrun and odds are they'll hurt themselves pretty badly if they throw too much strength around without any health/weight to toughen themselves up.  In addition they'll likely have problems moving given the huge bulking up they do.  As for a steel compounder-AT least they're fragile.  They can pile on the action dice for a long time long long time, but no worse than your average thug.  Wear em down.  Hell, try to trip one and watch them roadkill themselves.  Feruchemy is so single minded in its applications that it limits itself.  Just be careful to remember that steel doesn't come with mental speed.  If you're moving fast be prepared to not see that bump in the road.  And be ready to get shoved all over the place by a heavy allomancer.  I can see Wax bulking up and laughing as the annoying speedster gets sent flying away.

And as a DM i'd be real careful about letting any compounder happen.  They strike me as a villain archetype more than a character one anyway(hence why Wax and Wayne aren't compounders but Miles and TLR were.

You've limited storage a ton in your version.  I'm not sure this is necessary or in the flavor of a compounder.  Were you to limit it you could do so much like storing investiture and say you only get half the charges.  In addition you could easily say you can only store up to allomancy times Feruchemy an hour.  so at most at start 6 an hour.  Work up to 100...  There has to be something easier than 1.5 times the square root of allomancy+Feruchemy.  That's too complicated for the desired affect.  Just remember that one trick ponies are just that.  One trick.  No matter how good they are at it, it's one trick and one trick is easy to think around.

Other things of note.  The resources drain on storage is huge.  Gigantic even.  Even if a PC is hell on wheels they'll run out of storage eventually and no matter what they do they're still only a little more effective in combat than a decent Thug.  The 10 dice cap keeps them from being an overwhelming power.  Just really good at their one trick.  Personally I think Zinc would be the most fun to play.  
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 02:15:27 PM by Aminar » Logged
oxinabox
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 12:40:56 AM »

I've sen you comments and
when/if i get round to making more edits will more seriously consider them then.

I actually think that letting any ferichamist store outside a breather is just to fiddly.
So my basic feeling is that the mechanic for compounder should increase the amount you can store in a breather.
They still should tap at the same rate.
ie being a compounder doesn't change the amount of benifit for using yoiur abilities,
it only changes the amount of resource you have at your disposal.

I think the mechanics thus become alot simpler once done that.

I'm intending on making rules for the prop cost of various metal minds.

I will answer your questions once i actually reread my work.
this may not happen until i run my next game of it, and who knows when that will happen

---
It isn't helpful
Aminar
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 02:03:57 PM »

Good deal.  I do wonder about the possibility of not letting compounding storage happen in game.  Regular Feruchemists need to be able to store in play...  It adds so much fun RP opportunity if they do it right.

You could go so far as to just give a number of metalminds to consume to fill up during a given breather.  Say for every metalmind consumed you get 10* the charge it can hold.  THen say that props consumed during a breather aren't replaced.  (So consume a metalmind to get 10* your regular storage per breather for that metal.)  Worth a thought.

That said, they should be allowed to allomantically burn metalminds for sudden bursts as well.  Maybe say that they can burn a metalmind in one go for 10* the charges in it but all charges leave in that one round.  A bit like Using Duraluminum but far more supercharged and costly. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: