Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 01:59:02 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Upgrading FC's Wikipedia presence
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Upgrading FC's Wikipedia presence  (Read 1230 times)
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2012, 05:07:10 PM »

Hey,

I'm thinking we should upgrade Fantasy Craft's wikipedia presence a bit, to help encourage new players as that's one commonly used information resource.  Currently it's limited to this:

Fantasy Craft is Crafty Games' entry into the fantasy genre, prompted by the dissatisfaction many Spycraft fans felt with 3rd Edition Dungeons & Dragons. Originally intended for release as a Spycraft 2.0 expansion, but was later changed to a stand alone product utilising Crafty Games' updated and refined Mastercraft mechanic.[4]

External links:

Fantasy Craft on RPG Talk

I think it could benefit from having a more fleshed-out page of its own, detailing what it's about, and better linking from other pages (at the time of writing, it isn't even on this list).  EDIT: Fixed that for starters.  Anyone else up for helping with this?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 06:30:58 PM by paddyfool » Logged
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 08:55:13 PM »

Awesome! Due to Wikipedia's policies we're discouraged from contributing ourselves, but it's wonderful to see an effort amongst all you guys! Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 09:44:50 PM »

Awesome! Due to Wikipedia's policies we're discouraged from contributing ourselves, but it's wonderful to see an effort amongst all you guys! Smiley

I'm guessing you mean their policy against original "research".  As far as I know they have nothing in particular against people with some connection to a topic making contributions, as long as they are neutral and properly cited.

Anyway, that whole proper citing thing is something they take seriously.  So with that in mind, some sources to cite:
FC was nominated for an Origins award in 2010.
And it was nominated for 2 ENnies in 2010.
It's been reviewed on Pen & Paper Games.
And it's been featured on the RPG Countdown podcast.

Hope that helps.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 10:22:04 PM »

I'm guessing you mean their policy against original "research".  As far as I know they have nothing in particular against people with some connection to a topic making contributions, as long as they are neutral and properly cited.

Back in the day, we were explicitly told not to contribute to pages related to our company and brands on the grounds that we couldn't possibly be impartial. I disagree, but it's not my place to tell them how to run their site, so we abide.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 01:49:52 AM »

Anyway, that whole proper citing thing is something they take seriously.  So with that in mind, some sources to cite:

That should make the notability areshats that pollute wikipedia shut up, yes.

paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 05:18:26 AM »

No problem... although I'm not sure how much I'll manage very fast myself due to current commitments.  Partly why I asked for help on this...

Anyway, that whole proper citing thing is something they take seriously.  So with that in mind, some sources to cite:

Hope that helps.

Thank you - very helpful!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 09:16:49 AM by paddyfool » Logged
pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 11:23:05 AM »

Back in the day, we were explicitly told not to contribute to pages related to our company and brands on the grounds that we couldn't possibly be impartial. I disagree, but it's not my place to tell them how to run their site, so we abide.

That's not exactly what the policy says. You certainly can contribute, particularly when it comes to correcting basic facts, but the Wikipedia way is to wait for someone else to cover your work, partially demonstrating its noteworthiness. The article on conflict of interest is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:COI

Editing articles about you is discouraged, not forbidden. Furthermore, WP:COI constrains not only Crafty, but anyone with a biased point of view. Even fans of FC are covered by the policy; although not held to the same level of scrutiny as self-promoters, no one is allowed to engage in biased editing. So, for instance, if you were a regular contributor to this forum, and some of your edits were controverted, you might acknowledge a potential conflict-of-intest in the discussion of the article. While Wikipedia articles involve a lot of back and forth, WP:COI says that if the article is about you and yours, you should not edit the controversial material yourself , but make a comment on the Talk page.

There would generally be no problem with Crafty correcting the URL for their website, fixing dates and credit page info, and so forth. It would probably be okay, even, to add verifiable cituations about winning Ennie nominations, but at that point, you would probably step back and let others edit that section.
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 12:27:39 PM »

Made a small start on upgrading the main text on it.  Am I slipping too far into promoting it, do you think, or is the tone all right?

------------

Fantasy Craft

Fantasy Craft is Crafty Games' entry into the fantasy genre, prompted by the dissatisfaction many Spycraft fans felt with 3rd Edition Dungeons & Dragons. Originally intended for release as a Spycraft 2.0 expansion, but was later changed to a stand alone product utilising Crafty Games' updated and refined Mastercraft mechanic.[4]

Originally released in 2009 with a slightly modified second printing in 2010. Fantasy Craft was nominated in 2010 for an Origins award for best RPG [5], nominated for an ENnie for Best Writing, and the recipient of an honorable mention at the ENnies for Product of the Year [6]. The main volume describes the core ruleset, featuring among other details 12 races, 13 base classes, 6 expert classes, a library of specialties, talents, feats, tricks, and spells, a bestiary, and a guide to building new campaign settings.

Two official companion volumes have so far been released, both in 2010[7]. The first was Time of High Adventure, which details three adventures, describes a novel campaign setting, and features various tools to help with running a game. The second was the Adventure Companion, which features three campaign worlds, two new base classes, six new expert classes, four new master classes and over 150 specialties, feats, tricks and paths.

External links:

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 12:55:29 PM »

I don't see it as overly promoted; however, please note the area that I flagged below as possible, "where's your citation?" fodder.

Fantasy Craft

Fantasy Craft is Crafty Games' entry into the fantasy genre, prompted by the dissatisfaction many Spycraft fans felt with 3rd Edition Dungeons & Dragons.   <Who says?>  Originally intended for release as a Spycraft 2.0 expansion, but was later changed to a stand alone product utilising Crafty Games' updated and refined Mastercraft mechanic.[4]

Originally released in 2009 with a slightly modified second printing in 2010. Fantasy Craft was nominated in 2010 for an Origins award for best RPG [5], nominated for an ENnie for Best Writing, and the recipient of an honorable mention at the ENnies for Product of the Year [6]. The main volume describes the core ruleset, featuring among other details 12 races, 13 base classes, 6 expert classes, a library of specialties, talents, feats, tricks, and spells, a bestiary, and a guide to building new campaign settings.

Two official companion volumes have so far been released, both in 2010[7]. The first was Time of High Adventure, which details three adventures, describes a novel campaign setting, and features various tools to help with running a game. The second was the Adventure Companion, which features three campaign worlds, two new base classes, six new expert classes, four new master classes and over 150 specialties, feats, tricks and paths.

External links:

paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 12:57:35 PM »

Yeah, that was in there before I started, and should probably be taken out. I've now taken it out.
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 02:53:37 PM »

Fantasy Craft was released in both hardcover and pdf formats in 2009 through the Flaming Cobra imprint of Mongoose Publishing. Following Crafty's parting with Mongoose, a soft-covered second printing incorporating the errata generated up to that point was released in 2010.

Originally the game was intended for release as an expansion of the Spycraft 2.0 ruleset, following up the first two Origin of the Species electronic products that added character creation options for a variety of standard fantasy and classical greek non-humans to the ruleset. During the development process, the decision was made by Crafty to instead take the opportunity to significantly streamline the game mechanics in response to user feedback and create the ruleset referred to as Mastercraft. This permitted the release of Fantasy Craft as a standalone product under the Open Gaming Licence, including full rules for character generation, conversion mechanics for monsters found in the System Resource Document, and the tools for creating, populating and presenting user-generated campaign settings to players.

Fantasy Craft was nominated in 2010 for an Origins award for best RPG and an ENnie for Best Writing; it also received an honorable mention at that year's ENnies for Product of the Year. The electronic release is currently listed as a Gold level Best Seller on the OneRPG site.

2010 also saw two further Fantay Craft soft-covered print products, both of which reprinted previously electronically-published material. The first was Time of High Adventure, which compiled the previously published "The Darkest Hour" and "Cleansing of Black Spur" and added a third original mission as well as a chapter expanding upon the implied setting of all three modules. This was followed up by the Adventure Companion, which contained 3 campaign settings originally intended for release as part of the core book before being cut for space, and a fourth chapter offering a number of new game mechanic options, including a compilation of the non-spellcasting "Call to Arms" character class releases.

A fourth print release titled Spellbound is currently slated for publication. In addition to compiling the spell using "Call to Arms" releases, its content is focused on greatly expanding the mechanical and narrative options for magic use in a Fantasy Craft game.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 08:18:43 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 03:49:24 PM »

Thank you, Mr A - that looks good.  I'll wikiformat it sometime soon (if no-one else has too), but I've just seen the time and must get offline to get a few real world things done.
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 08:20:28 PM »

Tweaked it slightly.

paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 03:52:33 PM »

Well, I've proofread what you wrote, tweaked it very slightly myself (the only substantive edit was removing the onerpg bit as I failed to find a citation on google) and stuck it in the Spycraft article in place of the old blurb.

Also, for better or worse, I've requested help on writing a new page on the relevant Wikiproject talk bit, so we may yet see some feedback from more experienced (and less favourably biased) editors.  Some time when time allows, I'll sit down for a proper few hours and have a go at actually making that new page I've been talking about...
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 07:36:13 PM »

You don't really need to google the OneRPG bit do you? I mean, it is pretty 100% self evident the moment you visit the joint.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: