Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2014, 03:40:43 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Aurora Skies (Earth Defence 2.0 setting discussion)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aurora Skies (Earth Defence 2.0 setting discussion)  (Read 9684 times)
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: August 02, 2012, 02:22:23 PM »

Drum fed bullpup?  That sounds awfully cumbersome.

I can't even imagine using it, it's just a little too Quirky sounding. Wink

@RusVal:  I remember playing a JRPG (can't remember which) with hover cars, fully functional battlesuits and all manner of advanced technology.  The enemies were attacking me with what I swear were M1 Garands.  It was a little out of place.
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: August 03, 2012, 02:05:40 PM »

Garand is a solid rifle, that .30-06 is no joke.  It probably could take down a hovercar.

The US Navy has a railgun project.  That project has a motto:  Velocitas Eradico.   Grin

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
RusVal
Control

There are no ends. Only new beginnings.

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 18, 2012, 11:41:49 PM »

Quick post, idea I had that I need to get out there.

Theoretical Cal VI and VII.  Can't set a mission above Cal V (so to avoid stats problems), but anyone using a gear Cal boost ability at V uses VI instead of 1V+1I (and VII only being doable with a Big Budget campaign quality).

This way, some "reputation-only" gear can be picked using standard gear picks.

"Why don't you wear a helmet?  I feel anonymous and disposable..." -VGCats

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2012, 10:12:51 AM »

Would we want to try and model how some gear, like laser rifles, could move from Cal VI "experimental prototype" to Cal II "junk for the rookies"?  Or is that just something GMs can do at their pleasure?

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2012, 09:42:45 PM »

Sorry to butt in but had a similar issue making a bronze age setting. The Eras are too course for some uses. A solution might be declare all SF type technology 'Advanced Era'. Access to this stuff is limited by complexity.
At the start
Lab scientists get access to Complexity 10 or less
Test pilot Complextity 8 or less
Secret Service complexity 6
Elite troops Complexity 4 or less
Grunts complexity 2 or less

Note that some of these are so low they basically ban all advanced items at the start of play for those groups.

Add 1 to above complexity limits every year.

that's the basic idea feel free to mess with the time periods and numbers.

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 01, 2012, 02:50:43 PM »

Sorry to butt in but had a similar issue making a bronze age setting. The Eras are too course for some uses. A solution might be declare all SF type technology 'Advanced Era'. Access to this stuff is limited by complexity.
At the start
Lab scientists get access to Complexity 10 or less
Test pilot Complextity 8 or less
Secret Service complexity 6
Elite troops Complexity 4 or less
Grunts complexity 2 or less

Note that some of these are so low they basically ban all advanced items at the start of play for those groups.

Add 1 to above complexity limits every year.

that's the basic idea feel free to mess with the time periods and numbers.

Bronze era with 2.0 or Mastercraft?  'Cause I still don't have Mastercraft.

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: October 01, 2012, 04:18:20 PM »

Bronze era with 2.0 or Mastercraft?  'Cause I still don't have Mastercraft.
I'm pretty sure he means Mastercraft, or in this case FantasyCraft.

RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 31, 2012, 08:55:47 AM »

BTW, in case you guys are really impatient for me to finish this (and can read German), then check out Contact, a small indie XCOM-like RPG that takes place a few decades from now.  No idea how good the rules are, but the pictures are pretty.   Grin

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2012, 10:38:37 AM »

"Das beir ist goot" sums up 75% of my "skill" with German, but it does look nice.

Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: November 02, 2012, 05:33:18 AM »

I did 8 weeks of German night classes, at the end I knew klien is small and can recognise German when I hear it.  So much for my dream of work a couple of years in that country Cry

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 07, 2012, 03:43:56 PM »

Well, even more bad news from those waiting patiently for me: my computer died of old age.  I was sort of expecting it to happen, though, so I've kind of been posting straight to the forum without... really... backing anything up.  Embarrassed  So on the bright side, I haven't lost anything!  On the downside, I need a new computer, and it might be a while before that happens, so... yeah, it's going to be a while before I can do anything.

RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 23, 2012, 08:59:19 PM »

(click to show/hide)

I dunno.  Looked cool.  'Sides, fox dudes can be just as cool as the ladies.   Grin

Hmm, on second thought...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 09:44:10 PM by RusVal » Logged

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 23, 2012, 11:02:14 PM »

I like the detailing on those boots quite a bit Smiley.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 23, 2012, 11:36:04 PM »

One of the more useful assets available to CETT, not to mention one of the greater possible threats it faces, is a rather secretive species called the "Fox-folk" (if they have a personal name, they haven't let any outsiders know about it).
On the one hand, they possess a unique set of skills that can serve an anti-alien paramilitary black-ops quite well, with their abilities to at blending in with crowds, their connections on the fringe of society, and combat abilities not normally available to human troops.  On the other, they are probably the oldest xeno-infiltration unit still lurking amongst Earth's population.
While their origins are cloaked in myth, and CETT is ever watchful for the day when their "masters" might show up, for now these vulpine humanoids are few enough in number (and apparently content with hiding in the shadows of the urban landscape) to not pose an immediate threat.
Just as long as you meet their price, and/or peak their interest, you can at least expect high performance in their field of expertise.

History
As mentioned, the precise origins of the Fox-folk are known only to themselves, and there seems to be a silent agreement amongst them to keep things that way.  However, a number of astute archeologists have theorized that they might have roots as far back as the earliest days of human civilization, with possible connections to multiple legends in animism pathologies, the most well known being the kitsune of Japan, although there have been some who also made links to European folklore, such as Reynard of France, and the enigmatic Huldra of Sweden (though the last link is tenuous at best).
As for the modern world, all that is known about them can be found in official (classified) government records, which are spotty at best, due in no small part to '98-'99, which destroyed a great deal of collected databases worldwide.
[Clascsins--75-23 It has been confirmed, however, that what records that did survive where intentionally tampered with.  As such, CETT is keeping an even closer eye than normal on Fox-folk activities.  However, need trumps suspicion, and usage of vulpine agents doesn't seem to be ending anytime soon.

Culture
One of the most intriguing things about Fox-folk is their interactions with humans and each other.  Generally Fox-folk are friendly, amiable, courteous, and quite comfortable in large crowds, at least as long as the crowd made up of humans.  In fact, despite apparently being an infiltration unit, some can be quite the attention seekers, with a few taking up lives in front of the camera (or even behind it).
However, the times when more than six are in the same general area are surprisingly rare.  While this would seem suspicious at first, there is actual scientific evidence, including a rather interesting experiment performed in the waning days of the Soviet Union, pointing to a more mundane explanation: they just can't stand each others' company.  Why this is up for much debate, and there is some question that they might be putting on an act, but for those in the know it's just an interesting bit of trivia, one that also seem to connect to another oddity about them: they don't seem to have a "culture" of their own, instead preferring to integrate themselves into human culture as a whole, although this could be an element of their infiltration nature.

(more later, currently distracted)

RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 28, 2012, 11:24:14 PM »

And here I go getting side-tracked again.  Tongue

While people who know about the game Vanquish (an over the top Japanese Third-Person-Shooter) are understandably drawn to the design of the main character's armor design, it should be pointed out that the NPC Marines are cool in their own right.

(click to show/hide)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: